Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
316 user(s) are online (254 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z15
A Collector Edition, RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

As the title states. I am considering trading in my Xterra (16 mpg city) for a more fuel efficient vehicle. I like suvs for the hauling capacity and convenience, but they are gas guzzlers. Last time I had service, I got a Cube as a loaner for about 3 days. I thought it was hideous at first, but after I drove it I really started to like it. It's huge inside with a lot of room to move and it drives nice. Best part is about 26/31 mpg. Here are a few random pics from the internet. What do you think? Don't hold back....lol.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/4/9 11:52

biggrizzly Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I think they are interesting! A little boxy! LOL
If it gets that good of gas mileage as a box, imagine what it would have done with some aero.

I have the same issue with my Xterra. Its the supercharged model and I love the little truck and the fact that I can use it to tow a trailer, but the gas mileage is killing me too (16-18mpg with mine). I just trailer-ed a 600lb safe and a refrigerator like it wasn't hardly behind me the other day. I have thought about giving it up for a more fuel efficient vehicle but don't want to give up the towing capability.

If you like the car (Cube) and it fits your needs, I'd say buy it. Next time around I'm going to try to buy a vehicle that is at least 75% sourced here in the United States though. Corvette and Malibu still hold that distinction.
Posted on: 2011/4/9 13:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

RickAnthony Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

I see your point on fuel economy.. but will you be happy with a smaller car? when you were considering going bigger with the family growing?
Posted on: 2011/4/9 13:39
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

Ultraman Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Quote:

RickAnthony wrote:
I see your point on fuel economy.. but will you be happy with a smaller car? when you were considering going bigger with the family growing?

Ditto that! Plus the fact that a couple of hundred dollars saved is one thing but family safety needs to be the first consideration. I want something for my wife and kids that is bigger and sits up so we can compete with all the jacked up 4 wheel drive pickups. Screw the milage.
Posted on: 2011/4/9 14:12

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

BillH Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yep, I wouldn't put my kids in one.
Posted on: 2011/4/9 14:32

BillH Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I have the same issue with my Xterra. Its the supercharged model and I love the little truck and the fact that I can use it to tow a trailer, but the gas mileage is killing me too (16-18mpg with mine).

Just sayn', 2000 Silverado, 5.3 Vortec - gets 18 towing an enclosed trailer, 19 in town, 24 on a trip.
Posted on: 2011/4/9 14:35

bogus Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I love the predisposed belief that smaller = deadlier. That Cube could do just fine in a wreck... and statisitcally, these wrecks are becoming fewer and farther between.

We waste a lot of money because of what MIGHT happen... think about it.

I remember when the SUV nasty secret came out... on frontal impact, the front wheel would intrude on the floor board, breaking legs!!! Not cool.

I also like the Kia Soul.

Either way, funky little people movers that get good MPG. Throw some snows on'm in the winter and you should get around fine.
Posted on: 2011/4/9 15:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Mmmm........Can't go with you on that one Andy. It's one thing if all vehicles were the same size but they are not. Out here anytime a smaller vehicle tangles with a larger one it's the people in the small car that they are hauling off to the hospital. Now, I will say that we have a large amount of 4 wheel drive pickups out here which may not be the case in the city. Although when I have been in LA I have seen a lot of lift kit 4 door Chevy and Ford pickups.

Every year out in the country some pickup tangles with a small car on a blind intersection (can't see because the corn is blocking the view) and every year the small car losses and people die. Guy in the pickup rarely gets hurt. The same thing happens with Semi's or farm trucks hit pickups and we all can't drive semi's around I know.

We all waste money on what Might happen, how much do we pay on all kinds of insurance every year? A lot! Bigger is better and safer, especially when it is hauling young inexpierianced drivers or precious cargo like the family.

You or I can get in anything and expect to arrive because we know how to avoid accidents and see potential wrecks coming a mile away. A lot of folks aren't that way.

If I seem passionate about this it's is because I have been to some bad funerals where 16 year olds were given POS to drive and it killed them. Put them in a bigger car or suv with a good cage around them sitting up higher and they might be still with us.

Rant over!
Posted on: 2011/4/9 15:57

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

As far as interior size, the cube is as big in the seats as my xterra. As far as hauling my kids, I don't. My wife's car is used almost exclusively. I think my daughter has riden in my truck 3 times in 3 years. This is for me to get back and forth to work.

In regard to size, bigger isn't always safer or everyone would drive a 77 lincoln towncar. Suvs flip over when hit on the side or when they blow a tire at 70 mph. Is that safer? We can play dumb games all day citing one car is safer than another etc. The bottom line is all new cars have airbags and safety features far superior to that offered even 15 years ago. Obviously a 1991 cavalier that a teenager can afford vs a pickup truck at 50 mph is no match. But that isn't the case here. Safety isn't my concern with this vehicle. Just my humble opinion.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/4/9 16:58

pianoguy Re: What do you think about the Nissan Cube!?!?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

AutoWeek is doing a long-term test of one:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110119/VIDEONEWS/110119872

It's one of those so-ugly-it's-cute vehicles. I kind of like the quirky looks, and I imagine it's a pretty practical little bugger.
Posted on: 2011/4/9 16:59

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Every year out in the country some pickup tangles with a small car on a blind intersection (can't see because the corn is blocking the view) and every year the small car losses and people die. Guy in the pickup rarely gets hurt. The same thing happens with Semi's or farm trucks hit pickups and we all can't drive semi's around I know.

Rant over!

Guess it's time to sell the vette!
Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:32

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I called Nissan today to set up my appointment. I know the service manager and service writer, they are family friends. I asked one about the Cube's service problems, and he said there are surprisingly few problems. That sounded good to me. I have read about some problems with the CVTs on the 09 models, but Nissan extended the powertrain warranty to 120000 miles to address that, apparently. The car has been out 3 model years so far and the service histories seem to be pretty good.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:35

4543 Posts

I'll be buying American again when I sell the Xterra. Then I'll have three cars built and sourced here. At least 75% of them. I have no problem with the Cube except its not on the list for over 75% American Sourced vehicle. I know that is a crock but that is the way I feel. I have had my share of foreign cars but not no more.
Posted on: 2011/4/10 1:43

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I respect that Don. And I understand where you're coming from. But this one seems to appeal to me and I don't know why.
Posted on: 2011/4/10 2:00

4543 Posts

Oh... by the way I think Nissan makes a great product. I have had my Nissan since 2003 with hardly more than gas and oil, a set of tires and one set of brakes replaced. Not bad for a bit over a hundred thousand miles. If it weren't for the damn crappy gas mileage!!!
Posted on: 2011/4/10 3:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.