Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
218 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Interior Lights
There is one in each door. On the 1984-1989 C4s, the door lights can be turned on and off by pressing them.

There are lights under each knee bols...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

WW7 Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I put on my new High flow Edelbrock #8815 water pump about 3 day ago and kept my stock 180 degree stant stat with the 1/8" hole drilled in it to see what temps I would have. I tried to burp the system at least 6 times with no luck , I raised the front end , packed the cooling system and drove it around, but still couldn't get it to burp and run normal temps. The temps kept getting high at highway speeds( 210 degrees) and would stay high no matter what I tried, finally I decided to get one of the high flow 180 degree stats from Stewart to see if that would help..As soon as I put it in, the car burped fine and is now running at around 174 to 177 degrees at 55 mph..I don't know what caused it to have high temps with the stant stat, but the Stewart's high flow 180 stat straightened out the problem..My question... Is 174 to 177 degrees to cool for my 89 Vette to run , will that temp get rid of moisture or does it need to be higher?.When I drive through town my temps do go up to 180-185 degrees. This is with an air temp of 31 degrees, Im sure it would be fine in the warmer weather..Thanks....WW
Posted on: 2011/11/19 2:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jonszr1 Re: Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

if you have a scan tool you may want to ck to see if the learn control is enabled . on my zr1s it doesnt get enabled till 181.had that value changed in the prom to 175and all is fine . this is just my personal opinion .i think you are fine unless it gets into the low 160s .the lt1 c4s i owned typically ran 14 degrees hotter than the thermostat opening . also the same with my zr1s so i had a custom 165 stat made and my cars run between a low of 177 to 182 on the freeway.. jmho.
Posted on: 2011/11/19 4:17
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

bogus Re: Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would find that too cool, personally.

There are several different alloys inside a modern engine, and the op temps that the mfg establish are set to satisfy both emissions AND those divergent alloys.

For me, I would be happier around 190.
Posted on: 2011/11/19 7:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

biggrizzly Re: Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Mine has been running around 165-180 now that we have cold temps in the morning. It won't go about 175 on at highway speeds and will only get up to 180 sitting in traffic. I won't see 190 again until springtime. I have been worried about this too. I don't think that just putting another thermostat is going to do the trick for me but maybe its worth a try. I might need to re-program the fans again too.

(funny how in the summer we are always trying to run cooler and the winter warmer)
Posted on: 2011/11/19 12:26

BillH Re: Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

WW7 wrote:
..My question... Is 174 to 177 degrees to cool for my 89 Vette to run , will that temp get rid of moisture or does it need to be higher?.When I drive through town my temps do go up to 180-185 degrees.Thanks....WW

Nope it's good, I ran a small block to 250k miles at those temps.

And how accurate is the gauge in your dash?, just askin'.

Oil temp is more important, the general consensus is 180-185 will burn off contaminants.
Posted on: 2011/11/19 14:44

PLRX Re: Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
Senior Guru
SoCal
212 Posts

At 31*F weather an running a 177*F I would say it is normal. I run 175-180 in the Summer but I have Dewitts and 160 stat.
Posted on: 2011/11/19 23:54

WW7 Re: Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

WW7 wrote:
..My question... Is 174 to 177 degrees to cool for my 89 Vette to run , will that temp get rid of moisture or does it need to be higher?.When I drive through town my temps do go up to 180-185 degrees.Thanks....WW

Nope it's good, I ran a small block to 250k miles at those temps.

And how accurate is the gauge in your dash?, just askin'.

Oil temp is more important, the general consensus is 180-185 will burn off contaminants.

In dash temp gauge matches Datamaster exactly..My oil temp gets up to 190 degrees so I should be good to go..
Thanks guys for all the answers... ..WW
Posted on: 2011/11/20 1:55

383tpimachine Re: Installed new high flow Edelbrock waterpump and high flow stat . Are my temps now to low?..WW .
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Once the ambient touchs <70s my temp never gets into the 170s. Usually runs 166-169 when cruising 40mph+

In traffic I may see 180 but even that is rare.

Dewitts, spal fan, 180 stat. Fans come on at 200.

Oil stick at 190-200 depending on how spirited I feel like driving.
Posted on: 2011/11/20 20:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.