Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
296 user(s) are online (259 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TPI
Tuned Port Injection. A method of fuel injection, used on the early C4 Corvette L98 motor, (1985-1991). ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Vetron87 Has anyone used speciality insurance companies?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I do a yearly review of my insurance and update. Recently my insurance agent asked if I ever thought about a speciality car insurance companies like Haggerty for my Vette and 55 Chevy. Has any of the gurus investigated or use this type of insurance? My insurance agent maintains I could save a few hundred dollars a year with higher coverage.
Posted on: 2011/12/6 17:22

BillH Re: Has anyone used speciality insurance companies?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Go on CF in the C2 section and search for Haggerty, IIRC decent reviews and quick no hassle payments. There's another company too that gets high marks.
Posted on: 2011/12/6 17:26

CentralCoaster Re: Has anyone used speciality insurance companies?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Looked into it but could not find a single one that would insure for occasional normal use. At least not in writing. Verbally sure, but then none of them would give me a straight answer on determining the value in the event of a loss, only that it was up to the claims agent which I could not talk to until I am a customer with a claim. No thanks. Maybe you'll have better luck in your state.

Do your homework. Know the difference between agreed value, actual cash value, look for them in the fine print before signing any policy. and get an appraisal done regardless by someone certified by AAG or ASCAA.
Posted on: 2011/12/6 18:07

1Fast04Vert Re: Has anyone used speciality insurance companies?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Contact Adam Boca at the national corvette musuem. I got a quote on their declared value insurance and it was better coverage for less money. They also allow for driving up to 6,000 miles a year as one of the options. And everything is in writing.
Posted on: 2011/12/6 19:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have never heard of Declared Value. But if its anything like stated value, it has no teeth.
Posted on: 2011/12/7 1:47

NelsonV Re: Has anyone used speciality insurance companies?
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

AAA's collector policy is something you ought look into.

I haven't had to file any claims against it, so I can't speak to that. But I trust the Auto Club to live up to their great service (in my own personal experience) in any event.

I have their collector car policy on my Chevelle. I'll have to double check if it's in writing, but I am 99.6% sure that occasional, pleasure-use driving is specifically permitted. Further, I am certain it is an agreed upon value based on my build sheet and their appraisal at the time of the policy issuance. Frankly, I was surprised at the very high value they wrote the on policy (granted it was written at the height of the Barrett-Jackson hyperinflation of the muscle car pricing market).

One caveat that really doesn't bother me: the policy is "non-permissive" in that only drivers specifically listed in the policy are covered. No BFD. No, you may not drive my car!

Oh and lastly, their pricing was very competitive with my previous Farmer's policy for the same car. And that policy was competitive with and more desirable (for reasons I don't recall) than what Haggerty offered.

HTH
NelsonV
Posted on: 2011/12/7 17:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Some more info here, including AAA.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsch ... any-allow-backup-use.html

It's a mess really, hard to get a straight answer. I was trying to find anyone who had first hand experience with a large claim but had no luck. A sales rep may promise you the world, he won't be the one processing your claim when you get rear ended by a surburban on the expressway at 6:30 AM monday morning.
Posted on: 2011/12/7 18:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.