Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
287 user(s) are online (263 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Andrew Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

I'm still having problems with oil pressure dropping at ~4k rpm's. Strong pressure at idle and driving, but at WOT and 4k rpm's, it starts to drop (from 60 at 3500 down to 30 at 5k). So, here is my plan of attack and I need advice. Am I headed in the right direction?

1. Get a manual pressure gage and watch it while driving. One question, on other SBC's I've owned, there was a port near the front of the block where I can plug a sensor into with a gage. Is there a port like this on the LT4, so I can see the stock gage and the manual at the same time? This will eliminate the possibility of a bad sensor or gage.

2. Pull the filter and make sure the bypass is clean.

3. Change to another filter.

4. Last resort, check the oil pickup and change the oil pump. Can this be done without pulling the motor? I have access to a lift, so I hope there is enough space to pull the pan to do this. Again, last resort.

What am I missing in tracking down the culprit?
Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:24

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

rklessdriver Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Yes there is the oil pressure port in the back of the block but the stock oil pressure sensor and sendor are screwed into a T there.
Will
Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:42

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

bogus Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Did the pickup get tack welded to the pump?

Is it a high volume pump? Could you be sucking the sump dry?

Have you considered an Accusump? What about a high volume oil pan (Canton)?

And yes, you can get at the stock oil pan without a lift. Worst case, you need to manually turn the crank 1/2 turn to clear the front counterweight.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:51

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Durango_Boy Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I'm almost thinking that at WOT, most of your oil is in the upper half of the engine and it's being pumped up faster than it can drain back down. This might be causing a starvation effect to the pickup and as it slurps air with oil the pressure drops.

The filter bypass is also a good place to check things out. What are you using right now?

I might suggest, as long as others agree, that you need a larger capacity pan that holds more oil.
Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:53

Andrew Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

I do know of the stock placement of the sending unit, but is there another port, so I can see the stock and manual gage at the same time?

I have never had the pan off of the block. I'm assuming a high volume oil pump, but not 100% sure.... I've also thought about the Canton, but not so much on the Accusump. If I decide to swap pans while I've got the stocker pulled, can I install the Canton without even lifting the motor a little? Turning the crank isn't a big deal, I just don't want to pull or even lift the motor if I don't have to.

Thanks for all of the advice!!
Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:59

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

I am under the same impression that Bogus and DB are. Might need a new pan and am optimistically hoping for a cheaper solution of a bad sensor or clogged bypass. Might be time for a new pan.

Anyone know where I can get a Canton for less than $320?
Posted on: 2012/1/15 20:59

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

quite a few on ebay right now. type in "canton oil pan corvette"

Posted on: 2012/1/15 21:04

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

No other oil ports on the back of the block.

There is one above the oil filter but the oil temp sendor is screwed into that one.

You could get a T and screw the gaugle into one end and the sensor into the other.

On your problem.
If you do happen to have the stock pan and a HV pump... Most likely what is happening is the pump is going in into bypass and dumping that bypassed oil in the area of the oil pump pick up causng cavitation. It's a pretty well known problem when the oiling system isn't set up for a HV pump.
Will

Posted on: 2012/1/15 21:16

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Rklessdriver, would a new pan fix the cavitation issue or would more upgrades be needed?

The good news is that I can drive the car around without problems, just need to keep the revs down!!
Posted on: 2012/1/15 21:28

tjpreul Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Can the port on the side of the oil filter adaptor be used to put a guage in.
Posted on: 2012/1/15 22:00

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

biggrizzly Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I doubt you can install a new high volume pan without moving the engine a good deal. I have Champ 8 qt. Road Racing pan and it makes life a whole lot more difficult for many things.(starter removal for one). It is designed very similar to the Canton pan and I don't see you wriggling it up to the block through the existing frame rails and cross member. Also, if you have an automatic transmission the transmission lines need to be re-routed because the kick-outs for the larger pan are right in the way of the factory transmission line routing.
Posted on: 2012/1/15 22:51

vetteoz Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:

Yes but IIRC
you will need a reducer because hole is tapped 1/4"; not 1/8" like oil port at top rear of block
Posted on: 2012/1/15 23:00

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree with vetteoz. The port above the filter is for the oil temp sensor... not pressure.

The tap on the back of the block is for the oil pressure and oil pressure switch. The long one is for the pressure sensor, remove that one. The short one is for the switch and you need that for the fuel pump circuit - in case the fuel pump relay fails, it will keep the engine running.
Posted on: 2012/1/16 0:34

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

vetteoz wrote:
Quote:

tjpreul wrote:

Yes but IIRC
you will need a reducer because hole is tapped 1/4"; not 1/8" like oil port at top rear of block

In the LTX that port is occupied by the Oil Temp sendor, so you would have to remove it.
Will

Quote:

Andrew wrote:
Rklessdriver, would a new pan fix the cavitation issue or would more upgrades be needed?

Andrew
It depends.

If your hitting 60lbs at 3000RPM and by 4000RPM it's bypassing so hard that it's causing cavaitation - there is a real mi- match in the oiling system somewhere.... without knowing everything about the engine, it's difficult to pin point what the problem is.

I'd say (after you verify the pressure drop with a manual gauge) get the pan off and see what pump it has in it, see what the pick up to sump clearance is, and see if the factory windage tray is installed.

Once we find that stuff out it'll either be really easy to see the problem and fix it or a shot in the dark with a new pump and pan.
Will

Posted on: 2012/1/16 0:37

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

I have a buddy with a lift and jack tray, so getting the motor moved up a little isn't a big deal, I'd just rather not go that route. I'll check with a manual gage. If that isn't the problem, I'll pull the pan and get some pictures. How can I tell what pump is on the motor? Is there an easy way to tell?

Anyway, it will probably be 2 or 3 weeks until I'll be able to get the pan pulled. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Thanks for all the advice and discussion!!
Posted on: 2012/1/16 0:59

Durango_Boy Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Andrew wrote:
I have a buddy with a lift and jack tray, so getting the motor moved up a little isn't a big deal, I'd just rather not go that route. I'll check with a manual gage. If that isn't the problem, I'll pull the pan and get some pictures. How can I tell what pump is on the motor? Is there an easy way to tell?

Anyway, it will probably be 2 or 3 weeks until I'll be able to get the pan pulled. I'll keep ya'll updated.

The oil pump will have a model number stamped into the side of the casting. It might have a USA stamp, or a manufacturer stamp...depending on what it is.

Do you know what shop built the engine? I seem to remember it was a Doug Rippie engine? Maybe contact that and see what pumps they prefer for their LT4 builds? Usually a builder like that will have a favorite they use.
Posted on: 2012/1/16 1:12

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

Andrew wrote:

The oil pump will have a model number stamped into the side of the casting. It might have a USA stamp, or a manufacturer stamp...depending on what it is.

Do you know what shop built the engine? I seem to remember it was a Doug Rippie engine? Maybe contact that and see what pumps they prefer for their LT4 builds? Usually a builder like that will have a favorite they use.

Yep, it is a DRM build. I have communicated with Randy at DRM several times for a build sheet. They could not provide. They cannot track builds by VIN, only by the owner who had the work done, which I do not know... Great idea, I'll see if he can provide me what the preference is and that should give me a start.

Thanks All!
Posted on: 2012/1/16 2:55

Churchkey Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Guru
69 Posts

If you have the same results with another oil gauge you may be experiencing cavitation at the pump pick up.

Suggest modifing the pump pick up or build a new one.

The problem is the stock 90* cut off at the pickup inlet which will cause cavitation. For a visual watch water as it drains from your bath tub. You want the inlet to be cut at a 45* angle then heat & roll the edge to form a flare. Get the pickup pointed at rear of the pan & 1/2" off the floor of the pan. Some SS screen material shapped like a bulb can be clamped to the pick up end.

Luck.
Posted on: 2012/1/16 3:07

tjpreul Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

On my oil filter adaptor there is a port with a blank plug in it. Right above it on the block is another fitting. Could he use this one on the adaptor for his manual check.

It sounds like this is just going to confirm taking the pan off.
Posted on: 2012/1/16 4:32

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

And this is why I am not a fan of high volume oil pumps. The standard flow works just fine for most street applications.

I am a fan of bigger oil pans, tho... extra volume, extra cooling capacity... all helps. And in a hard turn, less prone to starvation. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

As for the fittings on the filter housing and above on the block. The one on the block should have the temp sensor in it. The one on the housing? That may have been a space for a potential cooler? I really don't know, but I do know it's rather large.

I would just test at the back of the block where the system already tests from. Why add another variable?
Posted on: 2012/1/19 21:19

EngineDoctor Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

The SBC oiling system will will perfectly fine with a stock oil pump for MOST applications, provided that your OIL CLEARANCES are within specs imho. I agree with Andy bigger capacity pan is good too
Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Short of an all out racing engine, I agree with engineholic.

Then there is BrianCunningham's monster motor!
Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:44

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

This motor is made to rev to the moon. It is a street car and I normally drive the car very modestly. At what point is a hi volume pump needed?
Posted on: 2012/1/20 1:03

EngineDoctor Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

There are many factors involved here.... Basic rule of thumb is .001 thousands of oil clearance per vertical journal diameter.
Then I like to see 12pds of oil pressure per every thousand rpm's.
For example, In an endurance racing engine running 7k at all times, at , full throttle 85pds of oil press. makes me happy, provided the oil gets back to the pan.... In other words 85pds at full throttle constantly, and at idle your o/p will drop to bout half that...
In an application like this I run Hi volume modified pumps.
all depends on watcha doin

In closing if you dont know your oil clearances, you are kinda in the dark :/ IMHO.

Regardless the more oil capacity you have and controlled oil temp. you have should be your objective.
Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:15

dan0617 Re: Oil Pressure Fix - Need input
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I bought a built used 383 one time and had this exact same problem. Was dropping oil pressure after about 3500 rpms at WOT. After about the 4th try I killed the bearings. I pulled the motor out, pulled the pan off, to find that there was no windage tray installed.

If you happen to pull the oil pan and find that there is no windage tray installed, that is your problem. If there is a windage tray, I would find out if that is indeed a high volume pump. If it is, I'd change to a standard volume high pressure pump.
Posted on: 2012/1/20 14:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.