Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
188 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

383tpimachine Roadracing tire size
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Regarding tire sizes in roadracing I know having a square setup is best with the same width all around.

My question is does height matter?

Say I run a 27in rear tire will it hurt to run a 25.5 on the front?

widths staying the same of course.
Posted on: 2012/4/8 22:19

BrianCunningham Re: Roadracing tire size
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I'd stuff the biggest tire you can it it.

You might wind up using a different gear, but that's what a transmission is for. (not to sound cute)
Posted on: 2012/4/9 0:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

383tpimachine Re: Roadracing tire size
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

I was figuring on 295s all around to keep it square. I know 315s will fit out back but I am leery of using a 315 up front with the early offsets and clearances.

I heard running different widths could cause strange driving quarks but I have no real experience with this beyond street driving 275/305 setup.

I was going with the taller rear tires to get the desired mph in 4th I would like to max out on. 3.55 rear gear at 1:1 295/40/18 hits 148 at my max rpm.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 1:41

bogus Re: Roadracing tire size
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

NASCAR runs the same size... Most prototypes and F1 run a narrower front, to help with driver fatigue.

I have also read theories about running a narrower tire, and getting more out of it due to the advanced compounds. There is some logic in that you get to use more of a narrower tire, less roll things like that, but I don't remember his logic. IIRC, the article was written by Pete Brock - Shelby Daytona fame. It was printed in an issue of Grassroots Motorsports a few years ago.

I found this quote:

Quote:

"The issue of Sport Z is Spring 2003 page: 22."

really nice Q&A with Peter Brock. But the part about tires was confusing.

"Sport Z: You once said that the best tires for high-performance are skinny tires. Could you explain why?

Brock: We're approaching tires and technology in the wrong direction. Traction is determined by a tire's contact patch. Provided it sticks to the ground it doesn't matter how big the contact patch is. If you increase downforce on the car, you'll increase the coefficient of friction. There's been no way to control that. It only requires 15 horsepower to drive a car at 50 miles per hour. We can improve comfort and traction by going to skinny tires. It takes less horsepower to drive. Computer-controlled aerodynamics is the solution. We can design cars to drive at an aerodynamic coefficient that is 30 percent less, if we go to skinny tires. Unsprung weight is less with skinny tires and inertial weight is improved. The space saved is tremendous."...."On a commute, you hardly ever corner. You want the least amount of rolling resistance. If you can design a car that forces the car to the ground through a corner, you'd have what you need. With skinny tires, you're running around on a 33 1/3 record basically, instead of the palm of your hand. It also helps if you improve the aerodynamics and have less frontal resistance."...." And skinny tires are better in wet weather, since they don't aquaplane. The only reason we have fat tires on cars is the fashion. Until you change the fashion sense, its not going to change."...."But until you have computer-controlled aerodynamics on cars, fat tires will be the fashion. People equate power with fat tires when the opposite is true, but they don't understand that. Skinny tires are also less expensive. When you can match the performance and make the tires cheaper, that's when you'll see change."

I will say, when I raced RC cars, particularly on clay, the narrower tire was more predictable. We would start with a normal width tire for the rear, narrow them, true them thinner and put grooves in for tread. It actually worked.

I was heading to www.customworks.com - but their site is running real slow... their cars show my point.

This page shows you what I am talking about... I have no idea how long it will take to render:

http://www.customworksrc.com/ProductD ... ISTID=800007F5-1289338899

The only problem with Pete's comments is the lack of automated aero... but the idea does need to get out.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 1:55

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Roadracing tire size
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

383tpimachine wrote:
I was figuring on 295s all around to keep it square. I know 315s will fit out back but I am leery of using a 315 up front with the early offsets and clearances.

I heard running different widths could cause strange driving quarks but I have no real experience with this beyond street driving 275/305 setup.

I was going with the taller rear tires to get the desired mph in 4th I would like to max out on. 3.55 rear gear at 1:1 295/40/18 hits 148 at my max rpm.

Travis, unless you've had 3-4 years experience on big tracks running 6+ events per year- none of this matters at all.

Changing the width or size won't gain/loose you anything noticable. However, puting taller tires on the rear can easily lead to your tires rubbing the fenders and you going home early. I know this first hand, have sent 2- C4 drivers home after one session because of this safety concern (and they lost their $250 entry fee).

Max. MPH on the straightaway won't be a function of tires and gears, it's a function of how fast you come out of the corner approaching the straight.
And unless you're going to a track with an extremely long straight, you're not going to see 148.

Drive the car with what you have on it and have fun.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 14:35

Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

383tpimachine wrote:

Travis, unless you've had 3-4 years experience on big tracks running 6+ events per year- none of this matters at all.

Changing the width or size won't gain/loose you anything noticable. However, puting taller tires on the rear can easily lead to your tires rubbing the fenders and you going home early. I know this first hand, have sent 2- C4 drivers home after one session because of this safety concern (and they lost their $250 entry fee).

Max. MPH on the straightaway won't be a function of tires and gears, it's a function of how fast you come out of the corner approaching the straight.
And unless you're going to a track with an extremely long straight, you're not going to see 148.

Drive the car with what you have on it and have fun.

I learned real quick with autox not to play with street tires. I have a set of 275 r6s already but am looking to change up my setup to need 18 rims. My car is not lowered at all.

The may place I will be at is Texas motor speedway.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 14:49

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

383tpimachine wrote:

I learned real quick with autox not to play with street tires. I have a set of 275 r6s already but am looking to change up my setup to need 18 rims. My car is not lowered at all.

The may place I will be at is Texas motor speedway.

Depends on how many heat cycles are on your 275's. Going to 18's is fine IF you don't change the backspacing and tire height/width to where they will rub the fenders.

Actually, I perfer newer, roadcourse drivers to run on street tires. They're a bit better to learn car control with and they "talk to you" with the tire squeel when you're approaching their limit (they give you more opportunity to make a correction). R6's decrese the "correction window", they will let go with less notice.

However, there's no huge problem with you running them, just be aware that they can spin you out quicker.

The tire rub situation will be more critical at Texas than some other tracks because of the banking, check for it after every session.

ON your first post - the 27 rear & 25 front - the thng that this does is change rake, can be for the good or the opposite. It depends on the whole car setup and is something to play with on a test day.

IMO, if your 275's are in good shape - run them and while learning the lines, try and note what the car is doing in the tighter corners, pushing on corner entry? slipping in mid corner? oversteer on corner exit? (but the oversteer can easily be steering input and throttle application).

You may find that the 275's are doing fine, if not make changes for the next event. You need to establish a "baseline" on how the car handles (rather than spending the money first for a change that may or may not work).

The big thing to do is monitor your tire pressures, hot, checked as soon as you get your helmit off and a quick drink of water. The best thing to do would be to take tire temps. but that takes a tire pyrometer.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 15:42

Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

I underestand what you are saying.

My current set are still good but traction is limited at my current power level and I plan to up it considerably after learning to drive with a 6 speed well.

Once the 275s are gone I do not want to get another set when I can move to what will work better. ie lighter rims and slightly bigger tires.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 16:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

383tpimachine wrote:
I underestand what you are saying.

My current set are still good but traction is limited at my current power level and I plan to up it considerably after learning to drive with a 6 speed well.

Once the 275s are gone I do not want to get another set when I can move to what will work better. ie lighter rims and slightly bigger tires.

There's nothing wrong with going to slightly bigger tires but your traction is limited because you have good horsepower. The bigger tires won't do all that much (though you may feel they are better and that can be because they are newer (fewer heat cycles) than what you took off).
Tire spin at corner exit will be controlled with your foot.

the same thing happens with the Z06's I instruct in, even when they run R6's.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 17:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Another note on corner exit traction/tirespin - Most newer drivers feel they have to use 2ond gear in a tight corner on a road course (which makes tire spin easier).
The fact is that there are almost no corners on a roadrace track that need 2ond gear.
If a Corvette isn't pulling hard in 3rd coming out of a corner, your corner speed is too slow (and corner speed comes with seat time).

Even in a Miata, in a hairpin corner, you'll be 3rd.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:13

jaa1992 Re: Roadracing tire size
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Another note on corner exit traction/tirespin - Most newer drivers feel they have to use 2ond gear in a tight corner on a road course (which makes tire spin easier).
The fact is that there are almost no corners on a roadrace track that need 2ond gear.
If a Corvette isn't pulling hard in 3rd coming out of a corner, your corner speed is too slow (and corner speed comes with seat time).

Even in a Miata, in a hairpin corner, you'll be 3rd.

I agree - shoot when I first started time trials I was using street tires and 3rd gear out of 7 at Road Atl (one of the most important turns there).
Instructing I try to get students to use the right gear so they are in control and can follow the flow of the course.
Posted on: 2012/4/9 22:57

Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

I will be taking all the advice I can from the instructor to soak up what little time I will have on the track. I just believe learning on slicks that I will run on will help the transition when I go solo.
Posted on: 2012/4/10 1:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.