Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
277 user(s) are online (237 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Ruby
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars. They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Scott7 Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Hi, I've been working on my car, the cooling system specifically, over the course of the past few months. Anyway during this time I had the negative ground disconnected but I still needed a jump to start yesterday. The car started fine and ran for about 45 minutes before being shut off.

Today I tried to restart it. Turned on the key, dash lights come on, fuel pump is working, turn to start and everything blacks out, no power. Turn off the key and retry, same result. Decided to jump it again. Car starts right up and runs well for about 10/15 minutes then suddenly just dies - dash completely blacked out. Reconnect the jumper and the car again starts right up and runs for another 5 minutes or so then a repete the car dies with no visable indication of power, dash lights out, open door no chime, no power. I've checked the battery and have power, 13.7v. Where do I go from here? Battery has power but car is dead.

VATS? All of my key sets act the same, nothing? I would really appreciate some suggestions and I'm hoping it's something fairly simple. Thanks, Scott7
Posted on: 2012/10/14 23:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Definately not VATS, if it was , the starter would not work at all.

IF the battery is good (you should have it load tested), this really sounds like a ground problem, especially since the dash went out.
Posted on: 2012/10/15 1:16

lunytnz Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Guru Newb
46 Posts

I agree that it sounds like a ground problem; the alternator may be charging, but the battery is not receiving the charge. When you check voltage across the battery terminals, it's fine, right? But, when you put a big load on (cranking), the ground connection isn't strong enough to support it.

The jump provides enough extra amperage.

Have you cleaned both ends of your battery ground cable?
Posted on: 2012/10/15 1:57

Matatk Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

The battery may have a dead cell in it from sitting. I'd suggest having it tested. But before that I would inspect all the grounds and make sure the battery cables are both secure and free of corrosion.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/15 3:22

bogus Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Also check the power junction block behind the battery.

There are three ground points that should be checked:

1. The neg cable to the block.
2. Ground to chassis (kinda under battery tray)
3. Left kick panel ground post

I have learned from my own experiences, that the chassis can get nasty rusty under the battery. This has a detrimental effect on the grounds. I had to sand the rust off, prime and paint the frame in that area.
Posted on: 2012/10/15 4:02

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Scott7 Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Many thanks to BillH, Lunytnz, Matthew and Andy for your suggestion. Check out the grounding. As you can imagine my lady and I have spent a lot of time discussing what we're experiencing with the car. Get up and continue looking over manuals, go for our walk (2 miles daily)and off to the gym for a workout, all the time thinking about the car.

Go out to the car and began the process of uncovering the battery. I'm starting to check the ground wires and heard a click when I moved the wire. Weird - there was no power last night anywhere. Decided to check the battery further, at least pull it and have it tested as everyone suggested. The positive connection was barely finger tight. I think I've solved my issue. I guess it's my turn to say "Duh". But I really appreicate your responses and willingness to help. Thanks, I'll be making more calls for help as I move forward with taking care of my care myself. More about that later.

Again Thanks,
Scott7
Posted on: 2012/10/15 20:35

TommyT-Bone Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

C4 grounding locations.

Could you give a little more detail on the left kick panel ground post? Above the panel? Behind the panel? I'm planning on doing a ground check on my 90 and I want to check them all. The chassis ground under the battery tray. Can it be accessed from underneath or do you have to pull the battery and tray? I'm just trying to do it right the first time without wasting time or steps.
Posted on: 2012/10/16 1:14

Matatk Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Scott -- don't feel bad....you're not the first, nor the last to do that exact same thing. That's why I suggested it Just glad it was something simple. There are guys that spend weeks and tons of money tracking down problems like that.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/16 1:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
C4 grounding locations.

Could you give a little more detail on the left kick panel ground post? Above the panel? Behind the panel? I'm planning on doing a ground check on my 90 and I want to check them all. The chassis ground under the battery tray. Can it be accessed from underneath or do you have to pull the battery and tray? I'm just trying to do it right the first time without wasting time or steps.

There are 27 points, IIRC... The Helm manual has them all.
Posted on: 2012/10/16 2:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That's great news, Scott! Simple is good! And cheap!!
Posted on: 2012/10/16 2:45

TommyT-Bone Re: Need advice, 1989 L98, lost power
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
C4 grounding locations.

There are 27 points, IIRC... The Helm manual has them all.

Roger!
Posted on: 2012/10/16 2:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.