Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
288 user(s) are online (272 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Scott7 Sound deadeners
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Thinking about winter projects for my '89 and about how I might reduce all the road noise, exaust rumble, etc. It's a problem looking for a solution. So I'm looking to see just what I might want to consider. A couple of products I'm looking:

The Dynamat product, seem like about 30 - 35 square feet is needed

Mid America Motorworks - Foil-backed sound deadener, CNC cut offered in foil backed jute or ensolite material

Using commercial building insulation materials

There seems to be a few different thoughts and approaches. Since I'm going to undertake this effort I really wanted to hear any comments and/or suggestions the Guru's may have. Making carpet etc. fit over the sound deadening after it's installed, don't want those kind of problems

Thanks, Scott7
Posted on: 2012/11/4 16:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Sound deadeners
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have used frost king duct insulation with moderate success.

Another option is truck bed liner.

Work with the doors and the rear cabin area. Those are the real noise factories.

The best fix for exhaust is converting to Corsa! Not much will kill that resonance.
Posted on: 2012/11/4 17:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Sound deadeners
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

There is a vendor who sells a precut sound deadener package for the whole car. His screenname is something like crazy cowboy. I'll find the info and post it later.
Posted on: 2012/11/4 17:54

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Two sources:

http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation%20c4.htm

OR

http://www.corvettemods.com/C4-84-96- ... Complete-Kits_p_5565.html

I have zero experience with either kit so I can't comment. You might have to do a little homework. Maybe you can be our guinea pig

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/11/4 18:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I forgot that one of our members, -=Jeff=- has that Crazy Cowboy kit installed in his 1990 ZR1. Maybe he will chime in.
Posted on: 2012/11/4 18:34

Scott7 Re: Sound deadeners
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have used frost king duct insulation with moderate success.

Another option is truck bed liner.

Work with the doors and the rear cabin area. Those are the real noise factories.

The best fix for exhaust is converting to Corsa! Not much will kill that resonance.

Frost king duct insulation, that’s different .

Doors and rear cabin do need help, also the area behind the seats I understand is a big noise generator too.

My exhaust, gee I thought my mufflers are just fine – resonance, what resonance, I mean don’t they look good . . . Couple these with a screaming fuel pump . . . its fun.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/11/6 17:40

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
There is a vendor who sells a precut sound deadener package for the whole car. His screenname is something like crazy cowboy. I'll find the info and post it later.

Yea, I’ve seen references to someone named crazy cowboy over there but I haven’t tracked him down.
Posted on: 2012/11/6 17:41

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Two sources:

http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation%20c4.htm

OR

http://www.corvettemods.com/C4-84-96- ... Complete-Kits_p_5565.html

I have zero experience with either kit so I can't comment. You might have to do a little homework. Maybe you can be our guinea pig

Matthew

Hi Matthew – Thanks for these links and I’ll do a little more homework and will gladly be the guinea pig for this project

I’m sure you could use a little time off and would like to come to colorful Colorado and help me with this little effort

I’ve also been looking at this double coverage Mid America Motorworks offering:
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_120 ... dditions_carpet_bragging/

According to the write-up they knocked nearly 12 decibels off the interior sound levels, I think that’s fairly impressive and would be noticeable.

Scott
Posted on: 2012/11/6 17:44

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

I’ve followed some of his treads. It would be interesting to hear what his experiences have been since the install.
Posted on: 2012/11/6 17:44

-=Jeff=- Re: Sound deadeners
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

I am not sure the CC kit will cut down exhaust noise.. it might a bit for road noise, but in my ZR-1 I replaced all the Jute with the CC kit. the best for road noise will be dynamat or similar installed in the car.

I did the CC kit because of the foil and how it is suppose to deter heat, but I have not really seen an improvement, but again, I have nothing to base it off of, I replaced all the jute before I drove the Z for the first time
Posted on: 2012/11/7 5:28
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

-=Jeff=- wrote:
I am not sure the CC kit will cut down exhaust noise.. it might a bit for road noise, but in my ZR-1 I replaced all the Jute with the CC kit. the best for road noise will be dynamat or similar installed in the car.

I did the CC kit because of the foil and how it is suppose to deter heat, but I have not really seen an improvement, but again, I have nothing to base it off of, I replaced all the jute before I drove the Z for the first time

Hi Jeff, thanks. Interesting that you're not preceiving an improvement with the change. My current thought is to begin with a ensolite/dynamat type heat/sound barrier followed by the foil type sound deadener. It seems this type of approach may offer a better shot at overall sound and heat reduction. I’m still looking at different approaches and plan to begin the install sometime early next year. Scott
Posted on: 2012/11/7 21:33

BillH Re: Sound deadeners
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

I’m sure you could use a little time off and would like to come to colorful Colorado and help me with this little effort

Scott

I'd come over to colorful Colorado, I spent almost 3 years there racing motorcycles, er, going to collage.

The vettemod kit is worthless, no foil.

The other 2 kits look pretty good.

One of my jobs at Ingersoll-Rand was "sound control engineer" trying to quiet down construction equipment at a time when no one else was doing it, - not easy.

I did use close cell foam with doublesided foil in the engine compartments, it worked well on higher frequencies, so I like these kits for some of the road/wind noise.

I think you have to separate exhaust noise/resonance from the road noise. Exhaust is at lower frequencies and an exhaust system also vibrates thus the resonance.
And I agree that the rear of a C4 underneath the car has a lot of spaces that will act like a base speaker cabinet.
So, if you want to keep the current exhaust system, the only thing you can do is change the mass of some of those panels so that they vibrate at a different frequency - the bed liner Andy mentioned or maybe undercoating.
Or change to Corsa, their engineers must a boatload of time working on the resonance thing.

The exhaust thing would take a lot of experimenting.

Your custom rear valance may be contributing somewhat, it would be interesting to pull it off and see if anything chances.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 14:40

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

Scott

I'd come over to colorful Colorado, I spent almost 3 years there racing motorcycles, er, going to collage.

The vettemod kit is worthless, no foil.

The other 2 kits look pretty good.

One of my jobs at Ingersoll-Rand was "sound control engineer" trying to quiet down construction equipment at a time when no one else was doing it, - not easy.

I did use close cell foam with doublesided foil in the engine compartments, it worked well on higher frequencies, so I like these kits for some of the road/wind noise.

I think you have to separate exhaust noise/resonance from the road noise. Exhaust is at lower frequencies and an exhaust system also vibrates thus the resonance.
And I agree that the rear of a C4 underneath the car has a lot of spaces that will act like a base speaker cabinet.
So, if you want to keep the current exhaust system, the only thing you can do is change the mass of some of those panels so that they vibrate at a different frequency - the bed liner Andy mentioned or maybe undercoating.
Or change to Corsa, their engineers must a boatload of time working on the resonance thing.

The exhaust thing would take a lot of experimenting.

Your custom rear valance may be contributing somewhat, it would be interesting to pull it off and see if anything chances.

Just let know when you’re arriving I’ll get the room ready . Things probably haven’t changed all that much, although there are a few more brew houses to explore. Where’d you go, Ft. Collins, Boulder?

I know the exhaust is a major noise contributor from an idle to cruising where resonance is very apparent. In all likelihood I’ll wind up with the Corsa, right now it has a nasty snap as you can imagine. The other noise generator is the fuel pump; it kinda adds that piercing dentist’s chair drill sound to the road and exhaust noises.

I’m planning on taking a good look at the rear valance area where some type of undercoating may be desirable.

My overall goals are fairly straight forward. Right now the noise factor inside the car is high and I want to bring it down to a more reasonable level. I’d like to be able to carry on a conversation and even hear the radio . According to the write-up on one of the kits I’m considering; it knocked nearly 12 decibels off the interior sound level, I believe that would be noticeable.
Posted on: 2012/11/8 19:21

BillH Re: Sound deadeners
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Scott7 wrote:

Just let know when you’re arriving I’ll get the room ready . Things probably haven’t changed all that much, although there are a few more brew houses to explore. Where’d you go, Ft. Collins, Boulder?

University of Southern Colorado, Pueblo.
Posted on: 2012/11/8 21:18

CentralCoaster Re: Sound deadeners
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Just remember, fluffy insulation dampens higher pitched noise, like white noise, wind noise, etc. The factory carpet padding does this well.

The denser insulation dampens out lower frequencies, bass, maybe some of the exhaust resonance. It doesn't require as much thickness of it to get the same mass as the fluffy stuff. Plus 1/4" of it would really add weight.

I put 2 layers wannabe dynamat in the front half of my car, kinda wish I hadn't. I think the seller called if fatmat. It basically added 10 lb to the front half of the car, minor carpet/trim fitment interference from added thickness, and it will never come back out without a massive mess. Results are dubious. I believe the product is actually called peel n seal, used for waterproofing shower membranes. It is a thick tarry film on a roll with foil covering.

I think the doors are a big source of noise. There is a product that goes inside the door panels I might try, for various other reasons, including quieting any minor rattles from all the stuff in the doors.

And I assume you're running the fiberglass top with headliner, not the ez bake top.
Posted on: 2012/11/27 23:52

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Just remember, fluffy insulation dampens higher pitched noise, like white noise, wind noise, etc. The factory carpet padding does this well.

The denser insulation dampens out lower frequencies, bass, maybe some of the exhaust resonance. It doesn't require as much thickness of it to get the same mass as the fluffy stuff. Plus 1/4" of it would really add weight.

I put 2 layers wannabe dynamat in the front half of my car, kinda wish I hadn't. I think the seller called if fatmat. It basically added 10 lb to the front half of the car, minor carpet/trim fitment interference from added thickness, and it will never come back out without a massive mess. Results are dubious. I believe the product is actually called peel n seal, used for waterproofing shower membranes. It is a thick tarry film on a roll with foil covering.

I think the doors are a big source of noise. There is a product that goes inside the door panels I might try, for various other reasons, including quieting any minor rattles from all the stuff in the doors.

And I assume you're running the fiberglass top with headliner, not the ez bake top.

Thx for the good comments about your experience greatly appreciated . Carpet trim/fitment is a big concern for me. I’m surprised you went with a double layer in the front and if we ever want to remove it, a massive mess would not be my first choice.

Totally agree; the doors are a big source of noise along with the areas behind the seats and in the rear compartment. Did you do anything to these areas?

“O” we never like to assume things. Generally I have the ez bake in for most drive times, when going on a longer trip or overnight the fiberglass top is in. Noise wise – not a noticeable difference.
Posted on: 2012/11/28 20:19

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I did not do the back at the time because I didn't have it apart. I don't recall if I did the back behind the seats.

The back though is probably a huge source of noise. I can even hear my ring & pinion gears. (That's a whole nother mess why those are noisy), but yeah, I might have a different opinion if I didn't have just half of it done.
Posted on: 2012/11/29 17:27

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I did not do the back at the time because I didn't have it apart. I don't recall if I did the back behind the seats.

The back though is probably a huge source of noise. I can even hear my ring & pinion gears. (That's a whole nother mess why those are noisy), but yeah, I might have a different opinion if I didn't have just half of it done.

Yes the back is a huge source of noise. Seriously, you can hear your 3.45 rear gears, I wouldn't have expected that although. Another consideration for me is interior heat, with headers, blower, etc. I'm reviewing what options I have that might have an improvement in this area also.
Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:55

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Now that you mention it I did use to have a big problem with heat from the cat. The stereo would get hot to the touch too. The aftermarket cat I have has a sort of worthless heatshield on it. I think the sound mat helped with that. I was worried I'd get a perpetual melting tar smell but that hasn't happened.
Posted on: 2012/11/30 5:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.