Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
260 user(s) are online (213 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

MikeB52 How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

So, I just sold my truck, don't need a 1 ton anymore. But now, I have all this money just sitting here and what better way to blow it than to take my 94 LT1/ZF6 to the buffet? I already did the Opti, coil, ICM, wires and plugs. Did a full McLeod clutch and all the bearings and whatnot associated with a new clutch. I picked up a fresh roof already too. But what next? I was thinking rims/tires, coilovers, headers and exhaust, new seat covers (my driver side has a tear), new weatherstripping etc. What would you guys do?

Cheers!
Posted on: 2016/3/13 18:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

First off, ask a few hard questions:

1. Do you plan on keeping the C4? Any desire to get a C5 or C6?

2. Make sure whatever you do doesn't run afoul of Mass smog laws.

3. Whatever you do to the car will hurt its value, so be sure you are going to keep it and enjoy it.

With all that said, I would go with the full suspension package - Banski rear end kit, coil overs, bushings in the front, new wheel bearings, ujoints, frame reinforcement, etc.

Depending on miles, I would consider a ZF6 rebuild... in fact, I would consider it sooner than later, we don't know how much longer Bill B will be doing these boxes and one day will come when there won't be a God among us to do a proper rebuild. I hope he has documented his procedures...

Engine... I would that last. Make the car handle better and be more controllable, then worry about power.

I am not opposed to modifying a C4. Just be aware it's a very personal thing...

Posted on: 2016/3/13 19:51

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

MikeB52 Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

3. Whatever you do to the car will hurt its value, so be sure you are going to keep it and enjoy it.

With all that said, I would go with the full suspension package - Banski rear end kit, coil overs, bushings in the front, new wheel bearings, ujoints, frame reinforcement, etc.

Depending on miles, I would consider a ZF6 rebuild... in fact, I would consider it sooner than later, we don't know how much longer Bill B will be doing these boxes and one day will come when there won't be a God among us to do a proper rebuild. I hope he has documented his procedures...

Engine... I would that last. Make the car handle better and be more controllable, then worry about power.

She just cracked 100k this morning. I have no plans of going to a C5 or anything newer, the car has more sentimental value to me than anything. My father has an identical car but with an auto behind the LT1. If I were to get a newer one, it would be an addition as opposed to a replacement haha

About the ZF, is there anything Bill can do to make it so that the clutch situation isn't such a nightmare next time? Haha

Good call on the suspension package, I was looking at 5ABIVT and his builds and he said he loves the coilover/banski setup he has.
Posted on: 2016/3/13 20:17

BrianCunningham Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Running coilovers on mine

Why don't you join me at one of my club's events you can check it out
Posted on: 2016/3/13 21:59

bogus Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

She just cracked 100k this morning. I have no plans of going to a C5 or anything newer, the car has more sentimental value to me than anything. My father has an identical car but with an auto behind the LT1. If I were to get a newer one, it would be an addition as opposed to a replacement haha

About the ZF, is there anything Bill can do to make it so that the clutch situation isn't such a nightmare next time? Haha

Good call on the suspension package, I was looking at 5ABIVT and his builds and he said he loves the coilover/banski setup he has.

The only thing that will fix the clutch issue is to get the engine built, and have it internally balanced.

Then you can be done with the DMFW for good.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 22:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Headers and a hotcam Leave the current exhaust setup and just mate it to the headers. You'll like the sound and no drone.

Weatherstripping is a nice thing to replace, as well.
Posted on: 2016/3/13 23:25

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Brian, where are you located and when are your meets?

I was thinking of doing headers and Doug's cutouts then into the stock exhaust and a can. Maybe a cc306? Heavy but better than an 847 as these engines aren't real high RPM engines.

And when I pull the engine, once I blow it up eventually, I'll balance it internally. Or who knows, maybe an LS swap at that point.
Posted on: 2016/3/13 23:51

j3studio Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Only 10k?

hiding

Posted on: 2016/3/14 0:24

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

Only 10k?

hiding

Well if the ol lady found out I was even spending that much, I'd have to find another garage to park my car in.. Pun intended. 😝
Posted on: 2016/3/14 0:49

383tpimachine Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

See my thread? Things spiral out of control rather quickly.
Posted on: 2016/3/14 1:01

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote: Quote:
j3studio wrote:

Only 10k?

hiding

Well if the ol lady found out I was even spending that much, I'd have to find another garage to park my car in.. Pun intended. 😝

I'm just giving you the business as one who has no room to talk—and one who spent a substantial amount of money to make my 1985 as stock as possible.

Your car looks great: good year, good color, good options. I like the coilover and weatherstrip suggestions and totally get the sentimental value issue. For us, both of our newer Corvettes have cost more money. The 1985 has been an exercise in doing things that are hard and definitely not trivial in expense—but worth it.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 2:54

TommyT-Bone Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I don't add up my receipts. Too painful. I know generally how much. On almost ALL of them it's been too much. That's a beautiful looking Vette. It's nice to have a toy (hobby). Enjoy it.
Posted on: 2016/3/14 13:59

BillH Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If it was me:

1. Seat covers & foam, my drivers side has a tear too and it pisses me off every time I get into the car.
2. Weatherstrip
3. Wheels
4. ZF (piece of mind)
5. Coilovers with adjustable shocks, banski, wheel bearings (while you can still get a good set) But I'd put the wheel bearings on the shelf until you need them.
5. Brake upgrade

All those you'll use 100% of the time, horsepower upgrades on the street, maybe 10% of the time. Unless you're planning to do what 383 is - serious events.
And unless you plan to go to the track/drag strip a lot.

Headers are a useless upgrade unless you plan to change the cam, have the heads done and go to a complete high flow exhaust.
Posted on: 2016/3/14 15:06

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

What wheel bearings do you guys recommend? I think my drivers side is on its way out. In definitely doing the seats over and weatherstripping. Doesn't matter how much work I put into it if it leaks haha

I definitely think I'm going to go with suspension and the banski kit and maybe go to C5 brakes if there's still money left over. The wheels I want are 2850 by themselves and the tires are 1350. So that's a big chunk of it.

What's Bill getting to do a ZF over these days?

And all I can say is to 383 is, holy hell haha
Posted on: 2016/3/14 16:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

I definitely think I'm going to go with suspension and the banski kit and maybe go to C5 brakes if there's still money left over. The wheels I want are 2850 by themselves and the tires are 1350. So that's a big chunk of it.

What wheels? Pic? Always wanted wheels for my 92 but my other Corvette gets all the extra $$$.

Are you running stock brake pads? If you don't get the C5's, you can improve the brakes just by changing to Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) pads (installed correctly).

HPS are about a 50% improvement over stock, I run them on the tracks (mostly taking driving students out).
Posted on: 2016/3/14 17:00

BrianCunningham Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:
Brian, where are you located and when are your meets?

I was thinking of doing headers and Doug's cutouts then into the stock exhaust and a can. Maybe a cc306? Heavy but better than an 847 as these engines aren't real high RPM engines.

And when I pull the engine, once I blow it up eventually, I'll balance it internally. Or who knows, maybe an LS swap at that point.

Resturant 45
45 Milford Street Medway, Ma 02053

Sunday April 10th

I'll be at the opening autocross over @ Devens
That same day

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/b ... vette-772999#.Vt2rSX0rIdU

Out FB page has the most up to date event listings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bay-Sta ... ette-Club/148612901824351
Posted on: 2016/3/14 17:56

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

What wheels? Pic? Always wanted wheels for my 92 but my other Corvette gets all the extra $$$.

Are you running stock brake pads? If you don't get the C5's, you can improve the brakes just by changing to Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) pads (installed correctly).

HPS are about a 50% improvement over stock, I run them on the tracks (mostly taking driving students out).

I'm waiting to order some Aero wheels from iForged. I like the deep dish look. Not sure what offset I'll need for a good 2.5-3 inch dish.

http://www.iforged.com/v8/wheels/formula-series/aero/34

For now, I am running the stock brakes. The car is 100% stock except for the opti and clutch. I'm not sure if I want to go with C5 brakes or just upgrade the pads and rotors in stock size.
Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:22

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Resturant 45
45 Milford Street Medway, Ma 02053

Sunday April 10th

I'll be at the opening autocross over @ Devens
That same day

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/b ... vette-772999#.Vt2rSX0rIdU

Out FB page has the most up to date event listings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bay-Sta ... ette-Club/148612901824351

This may sound unbelievable but I don't have Facebook haha

Either way, I'll see about making it up there April 10. I may be shipping out to OTS in the Air Force prior to that but if I'm around, I'll be there.

(I'm ordering all these parts so that I have something to look forward to once I'm out of Officer Training School. I'll get to come home and slap them all on before I leave for Pilot Training. Yes, I'm taking the Vette with me to pilot training haha)
Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

I'm waiting to order some Aero wheels from iForged. I like the deep dish look. Not sure what offset I'll need for a good 2.5-3 inch dish.

http://www.iforged.com/v8/wheels/formula-series/aero/34

For now, I am running the stock brakes. The car is 100% stock except for the opti and clutch. I'm not sure if I want to go with C5 brakes or just upgrade the pads and rotors in stock size.

Good looking wheels.

Measure your rotors unless you're buying new ones just for the way they look.

The original GM rotors are pretty good (mine are at 100k and I've no plans to change them).

The drilled rotors won't do anything for brake improvement and the holes are an invitation for cracks.

Slotted rotors are better but you won't notice anything with them.
Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:46

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

You aren't the only one who has managed to stay away ...

Posted on: 2016/3/15 1:24

TommyT-Bone Re: How to blow $10k on a C4..??
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

You aren't the only one who has managed to stay away ...

You could sell a lot of books through facebook. Just sayin .... There are pages set up by people that just like your product/company and are not sponsored by the business owner. That's cool if you have a good rep. ;)
Posted on: 2016/3/15 12:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.