Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
295 user(s) are online (255 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ZF6
A 6-speed manual transmission, standard from 1989 to 1996.

Very stout.

There are two distinct versions, the original “Black Tag,” 1989-E1...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

94BlueToy Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
Senior Guru
Beach, ND
192 Posts

My problem is that before I got this car, someone had lowered it by removing the rubber bumpers on the front spring. I like the look but it is very low.

Last summer I replaced the shocks with KYBs and that helped a bit. A little stiffer ride and seemed to raise it up a bit.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to raise it up in the front by using coil overs, other shocks, or maybe air shocks. I am open to suggestions. I really do not want to put in a new spring with the rubber bumpers to get the ride back to normal.

I can live with what I have but would like a little more clearance if possible.

Thanks, Don
Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I think Brian has coil overs with his setup. He should chime in shortly with his opinion. I have no experience so I don't want to speak out of turn.
Posted on: 2016/3/29 11:30

BillH Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

First Don, shocks won't do what you're trying to achieve.

Yea, the KYB's may have raised it up a bit but that was just overcoming a bit of weakness in your older spring, And shocks wear out much faster than people think so, you end up back to where you were.

The stiffer ride ill also go away over time.

The only way to increase clearance would be to:

Epoxy new bumpers on the old leaf.

Install a new leaf.

Or install coilovers.

If you don't mind spending the bucks for coilovers, they are the best way to go.

They would give you a very easy way to adjust ride height.

An additional advantage is that you can buy the springs in 50 increments which allows you to dial in the stiffness that you want for your type of driving.
Posted on: 2016/3/29 13:42

94BlueToy Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
Senior Guru
Beach, ND
192 Posts

Thanks, Bill, for the ideas. That is pretty much what I thought. The coilovers seem to be the best answer.

Do you or anyone else have suggestions on what to buy and where to get them? Out here in western ND, it is pretty barren with supply houses. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would tell me just what to buy. I have looked at some in the past and am a bit confused.

Thanks for your help.
Posted on: 2016/3/29 13:49

BillH Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

94BlueToy wrote:
Thanks, Bill, for the ideas. That is pretty much what I thought. The coilovers seem to be the best answer.

Do you or anyone else have suggestions on what to buy and where to get them? Out here in western ND, it is pretty barren with supply houses. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would tell me just what to buy. I have looked at some in the past and am a bit confused.

Thanks for your help.

I work with coilovers all the time but unfortunately not on street cars.

You need a kit built by someone who has experience with C4's

What Mike's looking at would be one of those guys.
http://www.corvetteforum.guru/modules ... hp?topic_id=21247&forum=1

The nice thing about this kit is that you can use your existing shocks.

The kit is for all 4 corners too.
The good thing about someone like Rippie is that if you call them, you'll get someone who knows what they are talking about, not just someone who can look up a part number.
Posted on: 2016/3/29 14:05

BrianCunningham Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Getting the original front spring out is the 1st hurtle
You need to raise the car up quite a bit since it curves quite a bit once unloaded.

The coilover goes on fairly easily

But depending on the diameter of the spring used, you may have to move the front swaybar.
Posted on: 2016/3/29 15:41

Senior Guru
Beach, ND
192 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of taking out the leaf springs at this time. I'll have to think on it.

I just got back from the Cardiologist (160 miles one way). the report was good. But I have to go back tomorrow to see a Derm surgeon. A month ago I had a mole removed from behind my left ear and the biopsy from Mayo Clinic said it was a malignant melanoma. Thankfully it isn't invasive or fast multiplying. The Derm surgeon wants wider margins, so he is going to remove most of the skin on the back of my ear and do a skin graft. This all happens tomorrow afternoon.

He said no work or lifting for a couple of weeks to get the graft to take. I told him no problem because I normally do nothing Monday through Friday and then take Saturday and Sunday off.
Posted on: 2016/3/30 0:05

BrianCunningham Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Ouch

Yes, large task just to get to the spring

take it easy, get well
Posted on: 2016/3/30 16:26

pianoguy Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

94BlueToy wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of taking out the leaf springs at this time. I'll have to think on it.

I just got back from the Cardiologist (160 miles one way). the report was good. But I have to go back tomorrow to see a Derm surgeon. A month ago I had a mole removed from behind my left ear and the biopsy from Mayo Clinic said it was a malignant melanoma. Thankfully it isn't invasive or fast multiplying. The Derm surgeon wants wider margins, so he is going to remove most of the skin on the back of my ear and do a skin graft. This all happens tomorrow afternoon.

He said no work or lifting for a couple of weeks to get the graft to take. I told him no problem because I normally do nothing Monday through Friday and then take Saturday and Sunday off.

Much mojo - stick to that schedule ;-)
Posted on: 2016/3/30 16:56

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: Front shocks 1994 Coupe ( regular suspension)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

94BlueToy wrote:

get well soon!!!

And yes, coil overs are the bomb!!
Posted on: 2016/3/30 19:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Beach, ND
192 Posts

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I just got back from the Dr. a little while ago. He said everything went great and the graft fit perfect. I asked the nurse if I would be handsome now, she said, " Not a chance." Oh well, the lady barber told me the same thing when I asked her if dyeing my hair blond would make me look like Brad Pitt.

My new Indian name now is Big White Ear. I got to leave the bandage in place for 2 weeks. The nurse said don't remove it even if it gets dirty and smelly.
Posted on: 2016/3/30 23:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.