Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
256 user(s) are online (212 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I've had migraines for about 5 years - fortunately Imitrex works well for them, but I found a better solution for me last year. A friend recommended this book to me, and it was the best $20 I ever spent:

http://triggerpointbook.com/

The theory here is that a great deal of pain (of all kinds) is "referred pain", originating in the muscles. I discovered that in my case, my headaches are caused by a little knot in my shoulder, and that quite often, I can simply massage them away - I did so this morning, in fact. I was absolutely stunned the first time it worked. And recently, I had a stiff neck for several days, so I finally cracked open the book, found the spot that was likely to cause it, and got rid of it within minutes.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book - in an age of outrageous medical costs, it is a blessing to have something that you can at least try, for free.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 14:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

cuisinartvette RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Headaches can be caused by many things...dental problems are another symptom.
In my case not a headache but upper back. Got a tagalong in my right lung thats growing, constant (not bad but nagging) pain.
Thats what ya gets for smoking.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 15:39

Klaus RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion - I just ordered the book from Amazon.

I suffer from migraines 3-4 times a week. Imitrex quit working for me so now I'm on Relpax.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 16:04

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

pianoguy RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Hope it works for you, Klaus! I get stretches like that where I'll have them 4-5 days in a row, and it gets depressing. I tried Relpax too, and it worked, but seemed to have a nastier effect (those drugs always make it worse before it gets better). It really bugs me that those drugs are so ridiculously expensive, and not available over the counter. They're not addictive, and nobody in their right mind would take them if they didn't need to. And the drugs just treat the symptoms, never solving whatever is causing them in the first place.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 16:13

dan0617 RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I used to get migraines. Imitrex worked but left me feeling totally wiped out for a day or more afterwards. My doctor kept pushing stress related. My ex wife used to fight with me prettymuch daily, but I had no idea it was stressing me out. After 5 years I ended up divorced. Now after 2 more years I'm remarried. Migraines tapered off and are completely gone now. Proof of how happy I am in life now.

As a side note, I could have purchased Imitrex for everyone on this forum for life and it would have been way cheaper than my divorce!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/2 20:20

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I told my wife she might have to pack her bags - LOL! Too bad, it woulda been 32 years in April

I successfully thwarted another headache this morning. It always gives me a sense of freedom if I don't have to use the drugs. I have a general distrust of doctors after several bad experiences, and the system seems to favor keeping you medicated rather than solving your problems - it's a cash cow. I had a good doctor for several years, but she got fed up with the system and quit practicing to go into research.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:02

kentucky_vetter RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

I put up with them for 30 years. They were so bad i would throw up and be completely useless for 2 days. Finally went to an orthodontist, worebraces on front 8 upper teeth for 8 months and happy to say i havent had one in over 3 years. Something for you to look into .
Posted on: 2008/2/3 21:54

Notorious RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Good info, thanks for posting it. Some 30 years ago I did go through a period where I had headaches that I believe were severe enough to be considered migraines, but blessedly none since. Now when I get one that is more than an annoyance, I can generally blame it on not knowing when to stop the night before. Thankfully experience has taught me not to do that very often either.
I have a little bit of neck damage and the remnants of a rather severe broken shoulder, both from a motorcycle wreck back in 1981. They sometimes cause a muscle tightness and a resulting headache. Usually it's brought on by more than average stress and/or long drives in the car. But when I'm able to take the Vette on long trips, either it doesn't occur or if it does, it's very mild. I think it's a combination of both the wonderful seats in the car and the fact that a long drive in the Vette is not drudgery, but instead an enjoyable and relaxing experience that I always look forward to.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 22:13

JrRifleCoach RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Migraines!

I hate to hear the word. 15 years of daily skull busters!

I tried many different remedies. But there were two that really worked and when you stop to think about it, it makes sense.

1. Bio-feedback and accu-pressure. A system of relaxing the body both through mental control and the use of deep massage techniques.

2. Healthy diet of proper foods and Chinese medicine.

Once I got myself squared up, the headaches faded away. One Saturday morning I woke up and there was no pain!!!!! Its an unbelievable feeling.

PM me if you need references...
Posted on: 2008/2/5 7:02

redwing76 RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Guru Newb
25 Posts

Mygraines.

I had severe mygraines since I was 18. The kind that put you in bed for several days.

In the last couple of years, they've gotten so bad that I lose the vision in my left eye for hours, not the complete vision, but rather a "dazzle" in one part of the eye, where everything is blurred and its really hard to see out of that eye.

Its really hard to drive when that happens, but its only happened once by myself on a 300 mile trip.

Most of the time I can see the onset of the mygraine, when my vision starts to blurr ever so slightly. I stop whatever I doing and sit down in a hour or two my vision clears up and theres no headache.

I went to the quacks and they said it was a sinus infection. And they said take a antimistmine. So I did benydryl. Big mistake it triggered the worst mygraine of my life. Extreme pain for 2 weeks. The two weeks were spent in bed with no lights and no food.

Now I can't any allergy meds with antihistamines.

Lately since I lost my last job, and I take a bayer aspirin everyday for my normal everyday headaches I don't get the kick you in balls mygraines.

I still lose my vision but thats the least of it, the hammer in head at close range is gone.

You might try that Bayer aspirin for low doseages.

I usta think that mygranes were the pitts, but my new challenge (last ten years) is even worse. Heartburn and stomache gas.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 18:19

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I used to be Tums' best customer, and was on Prilosec for a while. I started taking probiotics a few years ago, and my stomach is waaaaaaaaaay better. Also, heartburn can be caused by not having enough acid in your stomach - your stomach goes into overdrive to produce it. A little vinegar can help if that is the case. Of course, no doctor will prescribe vinegar, since there is no money in it.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 18:32

CentralCoaster RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I used to get headaches from a type of hair gel I was using, not sure if it was the chemicals or the fumes, quit using it. (Actually I'm such a cheap ass I still used the rest of the jar.)

Also when wearing tight sunglasses sometimes.

And sometimes when drinking heavily, I can't figure out how to solve that one.

I've had travelling pains before, but not causing headaches. Migranes suck. I've had a few so bad I was getting spotty vision.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 18:50

redwing76 RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Guru Newb
25 Posts

Pianoguy, I'll try that. THANKS.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 22:45

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:
Pianoguy, I'll try that. THANKS.

Good luck! I used to panic if I didn't have Tums in my jacket pocket, or glove compartment, or desk drawer, etc. Every once in a while I still need to reach for one, but at least it isn't a multiple-times-daily event. I take these:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/Produc ... 1&saleCatalogId=10051

They're just bacteria - helps you digest your food better. From what I understand, if you ever have to take antibiotics, that can throw your system out of whack, since they kill the good bacteria, too.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 22:59

Ramrod RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Good info, anything in there about Sciatic?? nerve pain?
Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:04

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:
Good info, anything in there about Sciatic?? nerve pain?

Yes, there are a number of references to trigger points that can cause symptoms of sciatica. Here's a brief online portion:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/sciatica.htm
Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:41

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The "ah-ha" moment with regard to this book is if you find a very sore spot in the trigger point area for whatever pain you are having. In my case, I had just received the book a couple of days prior to getting a monster headache. I hadn't had a chance to read it yet, but I was desperate, so in the middle of the night I cracked it open and searched with one eye (my other one felt like it had a spear going through it) the section on head pain. I found my exact pain described, and started feeling along the shoulder muscle that they indicated was the area where the trigger point would be located. Voila, I found a very tender spot that I had been completely unaware of, and within a few minutes of massaging it as they instructed, my headache started to literally evaporate. I was giddy, to say the least.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:08

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Anybody here have migraine headaches or other chronic pain?
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Here is what i use, seems to do the job quite well:

Resized Image
Resized Image
[web]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Scotch1.jpg[/web]
Posted on: 2008/2/6 9:26

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:
Here is what i use, seems to do the job quite well:

Resized Image
Resized Image
[web]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Scotch1.jpg[/web]

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/6 17:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.