Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (253 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Ruby
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars. They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Oaklands 2003 z06
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

I am always looking around at prices of corvettes and ran across a 2003 Z06 for $26,000. It only has 18,500 miles on it. I compared prices and did a lookup on it and most are going for around 30k+. As most of you know, I am still fairly new to the vette world (since last September), and I was surprised to see that year the Z06's were hard tops. I couldn't imagine having a corvette w/out being able to take a top off or lowering it. To me that would defeat the purpose of having a vette.

I'm not in the market for another vette, but I do like to keep up with what different models are going for.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 19:15

DaleD RE:2003 z06
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I'm not an expert, but I have come to know they call that a FRC - Fixed Roof Coupe. They decided to do that for the high performance cars, to eliminate the chance of body flex. My 87, when the top is off, doesn't feel real sturdy. If I keep it long enough, I'll put an X brace on it.

C5 prices are falling. I wouldn't be surprised if one day I sell the 87 and get a C5.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 19:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:2003 z06
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the idea behind the hardtop was to make the chassis stronger and lighter. If you don't have a removable top, all that complexity can be avoided.

The other thing, the new Z06 and ZR1 are the same way.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 19:25

DrEvil RE:2003 z06
Guru
Get in mah belly!
71 Posts

All Zo6s were hardtops. There were three seperate model vettes to be had beginning in 99 with the introduction of the FRC(fixed roof coupe) or hardtop as it was called, the coupe(targa) and of course the verts. The FRC was the precursor to the Z06. Body is exactly the same but the name was changed in 01 with the addition of the LS6 motor. In short FRC IN 99 and Z06 2001-2004.
Looking around the are numerous examples of zo6s going for under 25k. Soon they'll be under 20k. It drives the C5 owners batty. They were all concerned when they started bringing less than 30k. Once the C6 base coupe start going for under 30k on a regular basis you'll start to see Z06s under 20k.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 19:31

CSS996 RE:2003 z06
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Overall, the C5 is not my thing, but there is something about the Z06.... I would love to have one. Preferably yellow or red.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 19:43

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

It is the nature of things. C4 owners cry that the car they paid $12k for is only worth $9k now. Big hit percentage-wise, but in total dollars, not near what the C5 owners are seeing, and will see. A base C6 is $45k. As the price of used C6s fall, the C5s are going to head for C4 price territory. Bad news for C4 owners is, unless you have something very special, your car is going to fall even more, until the numbers are thinned out.

If my car is worth $6k, but I can buy a mid mileage '01 for $15k, I don't see any damage there.

BTW, what is it with some of the C4 owners? I see ordinary, low mileage, late model C4s offered for $17k - $20k. Are they on drugs? There's a guy that's trying to sell a great quality 88 vert for $30k?! I'd like to visit their world, sell my 87, and then come back to the real world and use that money to buy a C5.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 19:44

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:
Overall, the C5 is not my thing, but there is something about the Z06.... I would love to have one. Preferably yellow or red.

I tend to agree. I think the C4 is much prettier. I just can't get away from newer, and faster. Both are good things. And it is still a Corvette.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 19:48

Oaklands RE:2003 z06
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Thanks for educating me on the Z06's. I wasn't aware they were all hard top cars.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 1:00

01Z06Black RE:2003 z06
Guru Newb
Chester County, Pa
19 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I tend to agree. I think the C4 is much prettier. I just can't get away from newer, and faster. Both are good things. And it is still a Corvette.

When I was looking for another Vette I centered my search on a 96 LT4, coupe or vert, because you could get one for around 20K.
I stopped by a local dealer, and test drove a
Z06. And the search ended there that day.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 12:03

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

[quote="01Z06Black"][quote="DaleD"]Quote:

When I was looking for another Vette I centered my search on a 96 LT4, coupe or vert, because you could get one for around 20K.

Don't you sometimes wish you had a vert or removable top? I know you like the power of the car.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 15:38

Shadow RE:2003 z06
Senior Guru
271 Posts

I'm with you on the Targa Top

If they were not such a Pain in the ass to remove, I'd take mine off more frequently! I'd like to kick the knucklehead that designed this abortion of a latching system, right in the nuts!!

Anyway, the FRC and Zo6 however, would certainly appeal to me from an asthetics point of view.

When I buy a car, I buy it because I like it. I throw $$ at my C4, because I like the styling. The performace sucks compared to the newer models, but there's a fix for that The ride compared to the newer models? We'll, it'll probably never be "as good" but then again, it's a sports car and dammit! I want it to ride and handle like a sports car If I want a cushy ride, I'll buy a Cadi

It really tickles the hell out of me when some of these guys go out and spend 70+k on a "car" thinking it's an "investment", then, when the next newest and greatest appears onth e market they

I just can't do the keepin' up with the Jones thing. Not my style. Besides, I like being different.

I saw a lot of the Z owners doing that with the C5 model run. Wouldn't drive them or limited thier driving enjoyment to keep the mileage down, now look at whats happening

Buy what you want, drive when you want and enjoy what you drive
Posted on: 2008/2/9 16:05

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

01Z06Black RE:2003 z06
Guru Newb
Chester County, Pa
19 Posts

[quote="Oaklands"][quote="01Z06Black"]Quote:
Quote:

Don't you sometimes wish you had a vert or removable top? I know you like the power of the car.

I had a 79 L82 coupe with T tops.
They leaked, squeaked, and were too much work to remove and store in the back. I don't miss that at all. The FRC is tight and quiet.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 20:41

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

The Targa's are not the best invention in the world by any means. However, I love the feeling after taking the top off. I leave the top off quite a bit when the weather permits. I park it in the garage and leave it off if the weather is supposed to be nice the next day.

I would like to drive a Z06 one day. I probably would not buy it, but would have a lot of fun seeing what it could do.
Posted on: 2008/2/10 3:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.