Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  New Hampshire Motor Speedway
This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway.

Also known as NHMS....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

volzfan EGR Valve question.......
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Last summer I bought an '85 coupe, high mileage (119k), but very well cared for and documented. It "puffed" some smoke on startup, so this winter I've got it in my garage to do some minor maintenance (replacing valve stem seals, air pump removal, had the injectors rebuilt, etc.) and detailing to the engine. Currently I have the runners and plenum off for cleaning and paint, and got to wondering about removing the EGR valve and blocking off the manifold with a plate, the way we "used to do it, way back when on carbed cars".

I've searched the CF to find that some folks say that it's a bad idea, some say it's a good idea, some say that it will throw a code and the SES light will come on, some say it won't. I've read that removing it can lead to detonation problems, and I've also read that it makes no difference. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

This car is a weekend, pleasure cruising vehicle. I don't race anymore, don't even drive it hard, just enjoy it for what it is, so performance gains are not really my motive either, but it does seem that injecting spent gases into the intake would not be the most effecient thing to do to the engine.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Posted on: 2008/2/15 14:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:EGR Valve question.......
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Nice car, nice setting so hell, just screw an EGR question anyway....
Posted on: 2008/2/15 14:21

Midnight85 RE:EGR Valve question.......
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Great looking car! Looks exactly
like my '85 did when I got it
except mine's paint was shot so
now it's black. I think that since
you are not going to mod the
car I would just leave the EGR
on. You will gain nothing by
removing it. I've modded my car
and have a custom chip in it
with the EGR feature deleted.
Posted on: 2008/2/15 16:05

FATED RE:EGR Valve question.......
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

Interesting thread
Posted on: 2008/2/15 17:22

MK 82 RE:EGR Valve question.......
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I did it to my old 86 with no ill effects. Some have had detonation problems. If you do it, I would make it reversible. I assume you have no sniffer tests.
Posted on: 2008/2/15 20:00

volzfan RE:EGR Valve question.......
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

You are correct..........no inspection or tests in Tennessee. Did it make any difference at all when you did it to your '86? If there is no benefit, I probably won't worry about it. After all, you really can't even see it with the plenum in place.
Posted on: 2008/2/15 20:14

bogus RE:EGR Valve question.......
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Leave it.

There is a perception that is harms performance, but it doesn't.

NOx emissions are some of the most toxic, too... so I would leave it...
Posted on: 2008/2/15 20:23

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I would leave it. I took it off because I put LT headers on it and there was no place for the crossover tube,

My LT4 came without one!
Posted on: 2008/2/15 20:53

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Thanks, guys. I think I'll put it back once I've cleaned the intake. Looks like it's not worth the effort to do away with it, and it is better for the environment to leave it.

Now, since we're talking environment........will removing the "air pump" be all that bad? I've always been of the opinion that the only thing it really did was "dilute" the exhaust so that it would "seem" to test cleaner. I know there is some exhaust cooling issues there, anyone know what effect, if any, this mod will have?

Thanks!
Posted on: 2008/2/15 23:07

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

It helps at start up but doesn't do much after that. Unless you upgrade your cats, I would leave it. JMHO.
Posted on: 2008/2/15 23:22

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

I should explain something here. When I first saw this post this morning, there was no text in his post. The picture in his avatar was emblazoned full size as the only content in his post. Then when I originally posted, my post showed no text either! When I checked in this evening though, it was as it now appears. That is that both his post and mine now show text content. I wasn't being a smart-ass and ignoring his concern. I just wondered why he had posted an EGR question in his subject line but nothing appeared in the post except a nice picture of his car. A pretty strange glitch. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that happen in a forum before.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 0:48

CasetheCorvetteman RE:EGR Valve question.......
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The EGR valve is controlled by the ECM, it only functions between a preset rpm, and will shut off when you put the boot into it anyway. Remove is pretty pointless if its working fine, cause youll gain nothing at all from it.

Removing the EGR valve WILL NOT set a DTC unless you unplug the EGR solenoid.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 1:15

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Also, if you install a cam with more overlap that stock, it makes the EGR's function redundant. This is why the LT4 did not even require an EGR valve to meet emissions. It had just enough additional overlap, compared to the LT1, that it came from the factory with a block-off plate where the EGR would have been.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 1:35

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

The OP's huge avatar was screwing up the text. He changed it to a reasonable size.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 2:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
I would leave it. I took it off because I put LT headers on it and there was no place for the crossover tube,

My LT4 came without one!

Yuppers... the cam was very NOx friendly.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 2:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I should explain something here. When I first saw this post this morning, there was no text in his post. The picture in his avatar was emblazoned full size as the only content in his post. Then when I originally posted, my post showed no text either! When I checked in this evening though, it was as it now appears. That is that both his post and mine now show text content. I wasn't being a smart-ass and ignoring his concern. I just wondered why he had posted an EGR question in his subject line but nothing appeared in the post except a nice picture of his car. A pretty strange glitch. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that happen in a forum before.

I got a PM about that... I wonder if his avatar was way oversized and someone fixed it?
Posted on: 2008/2/16 2:46

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got a PM about that... I wonder if his avatar was way oversized and someone fixed it?

It's always nice to receive affirmation that I'm not further losing my mind.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 3:03

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Sorry guys. My avatar was the problem, and DroptopCE pm'd me to let me know. I fixed it. Sorry again.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 3:50

dan0617 RE:EGR Valve question.......
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Was that before or after the 20 beers you drank?
Posted on: 2008/2/16 15:55

FATED RE:EGR Valve question.......
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Same with my interesting thread.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 17:09

JAKE266 RE:EGR Valve question.......
Guru Newb
Kempner, Texas
22 Posts

I removed my EGR on my 86 and also deleted it on my 96 LT1.

On the 86 I did it to clean up the front of the engine (I removed the AIR too at the same time) and had it turned off in the PROM.

I'm running a modded LT1 intake on my 96, which had the EGR removed and the mounting location welded up. PCMFORLESS did the PROM/PCM mods so I wouldn't get any SES codes.

Whether it's beneficial or not was never a concern for me, I just wanted a few less things to worry about failing.

Jake
Posted on: 2008/2/16 22:53

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Was that before or after the 20 beers you drank?

Hey, hey now. Even on weekends I try to be respectable and so I seldom start drinking before noon, anyway..... :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/2/16 23:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.