Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
249 user(s) are online (215 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C1
Abbreviation for the 1st generation of Corvettes built from 1953-1962....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

"Big corporations and special interests have been given a free pass to profit, often at the expense of the worker. XXXXXX will make it a priority to scale back special benefits and subsidies to these corporations and put those resources to work for our economy again,"

Hint: not Marx....
Posted on: 2008/2/18 14:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

toptechx6 RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Slick Willie.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 15:26

bogus RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it could be any number of people.

no matter how liberal or consertative a person is, ones basic sense of right and wrong is a bit strained when we see Exxon making $40b in profits.

The problem I have with hard-core conservative politics is simple: it makes anyone who acts on behalf of the welfare of the people look communistic. This is the result of the GOPs victory in the war of words. I find it reprehensable.

God forbid you care about how the system tends to people. Now, I am not a proponent of the system giving at the drop of the hat (I seriously oppose the "stimulus" package), but there are times when the system can help those in need.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 15:35

jsup RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
it could be any number of people.

no matter how liberal or consertative a person is, ones basic sense of right and wrong is a bit strained when we see Exxon making $40b in profits.

The problem I have with hard-core conservative politics is simple: it makes anyone who acts on behalf of the welfare of the people look communistic. This is the result of the GOPs victory in the war of words. I find it reprehensable.

God forbid you care about how the system tends to people. Now, I am not a proponent of the system giving at the drop of the hat (I seriously oppose the "stimulus" package), but there are times when the system can help those in need.

What's wrong with profit? Their margin is about 6%. Know what Micorsoft's margin is?

It's not a question of politics, it's a question of which economic principle you suscribe to.

If you were offered $10Million for C4 Guru I'd never say "look at him" or "that's too much" or anything like that. Hell, I hope you get $20MM.

See, I don't sit around and worry about other people's profit, because, and here's the bottom line, NO MATTER HOW MUCH OIL COMPANIES MAKE, IT HAS NO EFFECT ON MY LIFE.

Where did I say I don't want the government to take care of people? I'm for means testing all government handouts and allowing them only to be used for food, clothing, shelter. Hell, I'll give someone five years to get off or get out..

We all know the stories about people buying nice cuts of meat, cigarettes, ect... on food stamps. And here is a perfect example of where the system has gone wrong.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/jasper.asp

The government is supposed to do certian things, helping people maintain a standard of living beyond their means isn't one of them.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 16:36

Notorious RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I'll guess FDR but I'm thinking you're probably throwing us a curve here.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 18:11

DaleD RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

I agree with your overall statement, but in the specific case, I disagree.

The specific case: If Exxon makes $40B, you can be part of it, buy Exxon stock! If we try to control what the oil companies make, we'll be treated to shortages, look up the gas shortage in the 1970s. It's a bad idea to try to control business, and a worse idea to get upset about profits. Furthermore, it is unconstitutional. No where in the constitution is it stated that the government will regulate corporate profits.

But, I agree with you that concern for fellow Americans is regarded as quaint. It's not a GOP plot, it's society. Americans in general, want to "get theirs". They don't care if they have to sell their mother to do so. That applies to politicians, ALL politicians. So, politicians, in their effort to "get theirs" take money from large companies, and other countries through lobbiests. Our national policy is being written by Exxon, Pfiser, and China, to name a few. Both sides of the asile are guilty. The major difference I see is Democrats have taken to pretending to be the party of groups, (Latinos, Blacks, Gays, Feminists, etc.) So, if you believe business shouldn't be hamstrung, you find Democrats generally unappealing. Remember, you can't tax a business. If you tax a business they pass it on to the consumer. It's just another tax on you and me. And yes, I'd be for the fair tax.

What to do? We get the government we deserve. As long as 9 out of 10 people you talk to say "I'm not political", meaning they have no interest or knowledge of what's going on in the government, we will get more of the same. Until and unless people care more, and get good information, we're doomed to be under a government that has an interest in only themselves and being re-elected. I'm not saying business should have a free hand. Obviously the same kind of people run corporations, as are in politics. In general business would grind their employees to dust for an extra $0.05 profit. Some of that is coming to roost in our current economic troubles. You can't constantly drive down what people make, and expect the biggest consumer market on the planet to continue to thrive.
A competent, motivated government can and should influence business behavior without totally regulating. Won't happen until Americans start paying attention.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 18:35

TommyT-Bone RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Adolph. So he could build the Autobahn.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 18:37

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with your overall statement, but in the specific case, I disagree.

The specific case: If Exxon makes $40B, you can be part of it, buy Exxon stock! If we try to control what the oil companies make, we'll be treated to shortages, look up the gas shortage in the 1970s. It's a bad idea to try to control business, and a worse idea to get upset about profits. Furthermore, it is unconstitutional. No where in the constitution is it stated that the government will regulate corporate profits.

But, I agree with you that concern for fellow Americans is regarded as quaint. It's not a GOP plot, it's society. Americans in general, want to "get theirs". They don't care if they have to sell their mother to do so. That applies to politicians, ALL politicians. So, politicians, in their effort to "get theirs" take money from large companies, and other countries through lobbiests. Our national policy is being written by Exxon, Pfiser, and China, to name a few. Both sides of the asile are guilty. The major difference I see is Democrats have taken to pretending to be the party of groups, (Latinos, Blacks, Gays, Feminists, etc.) So, if you believe business shouldn't be hamstrung, you find Democrats generally unappealing. Remember, you can't tax a business. If you tax a business they pass it on to the consumer. It's just another tax on you and me. And yes, I'd be for the fair tax.

What to do? We get the government we deserve. As long as 9 out of 10 people you talk to say "I'm not political", meaning they have no interest or knowledge of what's going on in the government, we will get more of the same. Until and unless people care more, and get good information, we're doomed to be under a government that has an interest in only themselves and being re-elected. I'm not saying business should have a free hand. Obviously the same kind of people run corporations, as are in politics. In general business would grind their employees to dust for an extra $0.05 profit. Some of that is coming to roost in our current economic troubles. You can't constantly drive down what people make, and expect the biggest consumer market on the planet to continue to thrive.
A competent, motivated government can and should influence business behavior without totally regulating. Won't happen until Americans start paying attention.

Exxon also paid $30BILLION in tax. The government made 75% as much on Exxon's business than Exxon did. To me, that is the bigger problem.

If you include the gas tax that was generated by what Exxon sells, it's even more.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 18:43

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Answer: Hillary Clinton

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080218/...r/campaign_rdp

Another one of her quotes:

"We will take things away from you for the common good"....

Let's all line up comrades...
Posted on: 2008/2/18 18:46

DaleD RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:
Answer: Hillary Clinton

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080218/...r/campaign_rdp

Another one of her quotes:

"We will take things away from you for the common good"....

Let's all line up comrades...

Hillary is a Maxist.
Unfortunately, when people are able to vote themselves entitlements, they will. That's why we have a representative republic, not a democracy. The founding fathers knew what was up. We've just managed to corrupt the representative republic.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 18:58

Oaklands RE:PR&C QUIZ...who said this:
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Our business works off a margin as well. I am going to throw out some theoretical numbers (not our real margins) and show how it works.

Touch screen systems used to cost us much more money than they do now days. Let's say in the old days my total cost of goods sold on a system was $20,000. If I wanted to sell this at a 40% margin I would divide the $20k by .6 and the selling price would be $33,333 plus programming, installation and training services.

Now the same system may only cost me $15,000 so if I use the same margin then I would be selling the system for $25,000 plus the other services. Now I am making $10k per system instead of $13.333k per system. A loss i profit of $3333 on the same size system.

Our business has become more competitive and we must sell more systems to make what we used to. However all of our expenses for running a business have gone up.

Margins can work both ways for a business. In Exxon's case it has increased profit because the demand is higher and the prices have gone up, yet they are still operating off the same margin. In my case I am making less money because prices have gone down.

In reality we have to sell 1.5 systems to keep pace with when we sold 1 system. We can't change our margins in order to stay competitive. It can be a real catch 22.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 19:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.