Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
271 user(s) are online (222 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z16
Also known as the Grand Sport.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, fr...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

94z07 It only lasted 11 years...
Guru
94 Posts

I bought an off lease (used) NEC 21" display back in '99 from UBid for $169 landed. Now the thing won't power on. I use LCD's and laptops all the time and haven't seen the LCD display that was as clear as the NEC CRT was. I know that I have to move on and get with the times so I ordered a 24" LCD from Newegg.

Score this round for inovation but I will never part with my IBM PS/2 101 Keyboard with the classic mechanical click ala the Selectric typewriters. (It does drive my wife crazy when I'm typing a lot while she is in the room.)

Computers come and go. My camera came with a memory card that had more memory than my first several computers combined. But there is something about displays and keyboards that I bond with and don't like to change. If the human interface isn't just so I don't care how fast a computer is I won't like it.
Posted on: 2008/3/1 13:48

Mekanic RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Sorry about your loss lol.

I am a geek as well, and wouldn't use an LCD on my main desktop, the Samsung CRT's are just too damn good. The prices on LCD's now are dirt cheap, but to get one with the refresh to prevent ghosting and tearing that I need is too damn expensive.

I just got the thing in the mail to renew my warranty on now now 3 year old Samsung 19" CRT.
Posted on: 2008/3/1 13:51

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

RollaMo-LT4 RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

I replaced my 17" CRT with a 20" wide screen LCD, and couldn't be happier.

I guess if I would have had a 21" CRT, it might have been different. :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/3/1 14:54

pianoguy RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yeah, the LCD's probably will never be quite as crisp as a good CRT, but is sure is nice to free up all that room. I made the switch at home a few years back:

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/Office.jpg
Posted on: 2008/3/1 15:47

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

very nice setup for what you do.

Try to pull 70 frames per second in Battlefield on full rez without ghosting xD
Posted on: 2008/3/1 15:53

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

pianoguy RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yeah, gaming would be a different story. But a friend recently got a 24" LCD at the office, and he was showing me some footage he shot with an HD camera of his daughter's hockey game, and I was surprised at how clear and smooth it was on his monitor.
Posted on: 2008/3/1 16:04

CentralCoaster RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm going on 10 years on my stereo system, my projector is 14 years old, my last computer went 8 years before I gave it to my dad, still being used, my other laptop was 8 years old, my car is 23 years old, and my truck is 40 years old.

Way to drag it out! Some people "upgrade" that stuff every few years.
Posted on: 2008/3/1 16:04

CentralCoaster RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Forum member "Jer" bought a flat screen monitor from Fry's and it lasted literally ONE DAY. I guess it must've been one of those one-time-use-only devices from China.
Posted on: 2008/3/1 16:05

bogus RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

My car is 16 years old... but my computer is about 1 year old... it's a bitsa, tho, the case is 6 or 7 years old! But when I upgraded, I upgraded everything inside. New MB, CPU, memory and powersupply. I needed more wattage.

The last monitor I had was a ViewSonic, and the highvoltage died after 3 + years. No where near as long lived as my old AVI Microscan... it lasted 6 years!

My current monitor is a ViewSonic 22" wide screen LCD... and I LOVE IT!

Oh, my, my camera... sure the D200 is new, but the rest of my Nikon equipment is anywhere from 10 to 40 years old! And our Jeep is 15 years old!

My old stereo is 27 years old... and my "new" stereo is about 8 years old.
Posted on: 2008/3/1 19:45

CasetheCorvetteman RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Couldnt agree with you more 94ZO7, i miss my LG F700Pro 17"CRT as well, it would do 1920x1440 res, and although everything looked small at that, you can change the size of the text anyway. Nothing could touch it for clarity.

The eventual death to the LG was a leaking capacitor, which was causing the V-hold to fold the bottom of the screen image up on itself. Even with all the burned in images on it, it still looked better than any LCD ive ever seen, and a mate of mine has a 30" LCD with a 2ms refresh.

So now ive got an LG L1953 LCD and although its very crisp and clear, it will only go to 1280x1024, which is quite poor considering its 3 viewable inches bigger.
Quote:
Try to pull 70 frames per second in Battlefield on full rez without ghosting xD

Which BattleField do you play? i ocationally run servers from here for 1942 and some of its mods.
Quote:
my projector is 14 years old.

What sort of projector have you got? Mustve cost a fortune back 14 yrs ago!!! Can buy a brand new one for under $600 AUD here now, but id be suprized if itd go for 2 years let alone 14.
Posted on: 2008/3/2 0:05

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I play all the battlefields, but 1942 is by far my fav. And i'm a BIG Medal Of Honor Allied Assault whore
Posted on: 2008/3/2 0:29

CasetheCorvetteman RE:It only lasted 11 years...
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

We will have to have a few rounds on there one day soon mate, 1942 is my favourite out of them all too. Ive been playing Black Hawk Down on the Florida Sniper server recently though.

Ill start an online gaming thread....
Posted on: 2008/3/2 0:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.