Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Notorious WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

WTF is that you ask? Well it ain't for the Vette. They're extremely rare and were made in the '50s for flathead Fords, inline Chevys/GMCs and also for inline Mopars which is what this one's for. I'm building a souped-up flathead Plymouth six for a Model A hot rod that will be done in totally period correct 1950s style. Earlier this week I got a pair of finned aluminum side covers for it. Now all I need is an aluminum head to complete the external mods. I'll be making my own header for it. I was going to make my own intake until I found this. This is the holy grail of vintage intakes so I couldn't resist, especially for the price. Here's a link to a pic of the intake and carbs.
Tattersfield intake
Posted on: 2008/4/21 3:46

TommyT-Bone Re: WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Every once in a while; You win. Congrads on your big score.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Coolio - congrats!
Posted on: 2008/4/21 12:16

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Cool beans - would like to see pics of the progress.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/22 19:38

Notorious Re: WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Cool beans - would like to see pics of the progress.

Matthew

Within the next few weeks, I'll be doing a mock-up of the engine and shooting some pics. Sometime soon also, I'll be bringing the car to the shop for the serious work to begin. My boss wants me to bring it now. But i want to get some long-term customer jobs out first. Tough guy to work for! Anyhow, pics of the project will be posted for however long the project takes. This is a ground-up build from an original Model A body and frame. The engine is a piece of cake compared to the rest of it. The chassis work will take the longest and is the most critical to a good build and driver. Especially when using all vintage type suspension and running gear. But they can be made to drive very well, within their design limits. This is the real challenge to me. Like the Vette, I plan to drive the shit out of this car. I don't build garage, trailer or show queens.
Posted on: 2008/4/22 23:57

bogus Re: WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that is the cool.

So, if a Tatterfield is the holy grail, where is an Ardun head?
Posted on: 2008/4/23 1:25

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Livin_the_dream Re: WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Cant wait to see the pic's That is a sweet intake . going to look good in that A
Posted on: 2008/4/23 1:34

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
that is the cool.

Current going rate for a set of Ardun heads, $10K give or take. An unused NOS set recently went for over $20K. A few months back, someone on a traditional hot rod forum I visit scored a set for $300 at a widow's garage sale of her late husband's treasures. She set the price and so reviews were mixed between you lucky sumbitch and don't you feel just a little guilty?"
Who's mechanical engineering firm was behind the creation of these heads?
Posted on: 2008/4/23 2:51
Edited by Notorious on 2008/4/24 23:19:18

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
that is the cool.

Current going rate for a set of Ardun heads, $10K give or take. An unused NOS set recently went for over $20K. A few months back, someone on a traditional hot rod forum I visit scored a set for $300 at a widow's garage sale of her late husband's treasures. She set the price and so reviews were mixed between you lucky sumbitch and don't you feel just a little guilty?"

I guess I'll have to answer my own question. There's a Corvette connection here. This article contains all of the pertinent facts of the Ardun head's link to Corvette history.
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/hotnew ... sr_ardun_heads/index.html
Posted on: 2008/4/24 23:23

bogus Re: WOO-HOO! Just scored a Tattersfield intake!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
that is the cool.

I actually thought someone was reproducing them.

Ardun = Zora Arkus-Duntov.
Posted on: 2008/4/25 0:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Notorious you still looking for a quick change rear? I found a guy at Carlisle who is making them! He has them for an open driveline or a closed driveline they were around 1500 for the quick change with gears . The guy is from NY, I was drooling over these units and the adaptors for a T5 tranny . The adaptor would be simple to make though
Kevin
Posted on: 2008/4/26 1:59

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Notorious you still looking for a quick change rear? I found a guy at Carlisle who is making them! He has them for an open driveline or a closed driveline they were around 1500 for the quick change with gears . The guy is from NY, I was drooling over these units and the adaptors for a T5 tranny . The adaptor would be simple to make though
Kevin

Not looking too hard, but thanks. With everything else, I don't have big bucks to throw at a rear end right now. I may have a freebie in the near future but will have to wait and see how that goes. They're not hard to find around here since many late model stock cars run them. Plus I have both narrow housing 8" and 9" Ford rearends to use until if and when I get a quickchange. This car will be open driveline with split wishbones all around.
Although I've got an original 3 speed that goes behind this engine, a T5 makes a lot more sense. These are not high RPM engines, needless to say, and are much happier cruising on the highway with overdrive. If I can find an overdrive unit for the 3 speed though, I'd still prefer to use it.
Posted on: 2008/4/26 12:17

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

A 1950's borg-warner is what I have in my coupe. There is a guy in ohio that makes them. However I am sure you could do the fab work for this yourself. With this unit motor speed of 42 MPH is 60 in OD. Can't wait to see those pics
Posted on: 2008/4/27 3:22

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
A 1950's borg-warner is what I have in my coupe. There is a guy in ohio that makes them. However I am sure you could do the fab work for this yourself. With this unit motor speed of 42 MPH is 60 in OD. Can't wait to see those pics

Any contact or other info on that would be appreciated.
I've got the intake set-up now and as soon as I get a chance to clean it up and detail it all, I'll post pics of the engine mock-up.
Posted on: 2008/5/6 2:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.