Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (249 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy Whoa, dodged a bullet!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

On the way home, I thought I smelled gas - figured it was a car ahead of me on the freeway, as it lessened when I exited. But I popped the hood as soon as I pulled in the garage - massive fuel leak, gas all over the place! I put in new injectors last week, so it must be related, but it's odd that there were no leaks before. I'm letting it cool down a bit before I take a look.
Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:16

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Whoa, dodged a bullet!
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

That could have been very, VERY bad! I hope you can find the problem easily.

I'm sure you will post your findings. I'll be sure to keep this in mind if I ever change my injectors... Be VERY aware of gas smells for the first few weeks.

How many miles have you put on the car since the installation? Did it sit for awhile afterwards?
Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:17

pianoguy Re: Whoa, dodged a bullet!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I've put on about 200 miles since, and have run it hard a couple of times, with no problem until today. I'm guessing it's an injector on the passenger side, as there was spray on the hood on that side. But the whole intake manifold was full of gas, and it had been running down the engine all over the road - I had to drag a hose into the garage to spray out a big puddle under the car.
Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:33

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

After mopping up the fuel from the intake, I fired it up again (had the hose and a blanket handy - LMAO) - it's gushing out of the injector on #4 at the fuel rail - must be a bad o-ring or something. I have a spare injector, so I'll pop that in in a while and see if that solves the problem. Glad this didn't happen on one of our upcoming road trips, anyway.
Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:40

ittlfly Re: Whoa, dodged a bullet!
Guru Newb
19 Posts

You probably knicked one of the 2 O -rings on the install. Be sure to use a little oil on them before you put them on the injector and push them into the rail / intake. Very easy to screw up ...ask me how I know.
Posted on: 2008/7/1 22:03

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The o-ring looked OK, at least to the naked eye, but I installed the spare injector anyway. I put another coat of liquid soap on them all before reinstalling the fuel rail, and so far, so good. Wacky!
Posted on: 2008/7/1 23:00

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I just got off the horn with Jon from FIC - I had sent him a message and he wanted me to call him right away. I'll have to pull the injectors again and add an o-ring. On the Bosch Stage III injectors, there are 2 grooves on the bottom for o-rings - after Mekanic's trial run, he didn't think the upper o-ring of those 2 was necessary (it makes the injector sit up a bit higher in the manifold). However, it appears now that with only the bottom o-ring in, the injectors aren't seated high enough into the fuel rail. Still really strange that it took this long to leak, but hopefully this will be a permanent solution.
Posted on: 2008/7/1 23:57

Mekanic Re: Whoa, dodged a bullet!
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Crazy stuff. Glad you got it figured out tho. No leaks on mine thus far with both bottom o-rings installed, that must be the trick needed.
Posted on: 2008/7/2 0:39

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yep, finished the install with the second set of o-rings, and no leaks. Here's some pics:

Before - you can see the o-ring just barely seated in the fuel rail:
http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/96Vette/Injectors_B4.jpg

Comparison - injector on the left has the second o-ring, the right one does not:
http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/96Vette/Injector_o-rings.jpg

After - you can no longer see the o-ring as it is seated higher up into the fuel rail:
http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/96Vette/Injectors_After.jpg
Posted on: 2008/7/2 1:14

Matatk Re: Whoa, dodged a bullet!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Wow! Glad you got lucky on that one. I am still kicking around the idea of new injectors. I'm 90% sure I need them (I have crappy multecs) and I just have to convince myself to drop the $200.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/2 1:33

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Other than this little mishap, I'm real happy with them - the car idles smoother, and they are much quieter than the Multecs.

I decided to take a little test drive, and happened to look at the fuel gauge, and I was on reserve - I must've lost at least a third of a tank! Anyway, no leaks, ran like a champ.
Posted on: 2008/7/2 1:56

BrianCunningham Re: Whoa, dodged a bullet!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Glad you caught it.

I lost a truck a while back thanks to a fuel fire.
Posted on: 2008/7/2 16:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.