Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
280 user(s) are online (221 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH400
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.48
2nd Gear: 1.48
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1964 thru 1990.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Flat Rate Question
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Hello,

A friend of a friend is looking to have some service work done to his vehicle, but is not interested in paying dealer or local prices (which in some cases aren't any better than dealer pricing). So he came to me for help. The car to be fixed is a 01 Chevy Impala 3.4L. The car needs front and rear struts, front and rear brakes, a valve cover gasket, an oil change, PCV valve, and the A/C needs to be fix (problem not determined yet). I really could use the extra cash but I don't know what to charge this guy. I told him not to hold me to any figures but I would probably have him get the parts and charge him half the local dealer flat rate time (which is $100 an hour). Only problem is I am not sure what the flat rate time is for all this stuff, and I am not sure how to bill out the undetermined a/c work. I want to be fair but I don't want to take a beating either. I know what its like doing struts on this car and its NOT FUN! One place quoted him $1300 just to do the struts... nevermind the rest of the work.

What do you guys think I should do?

Dan
Posted on: 2008/7/9 3:11
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Flat Rate Question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I usually try and charge about 1/2 of the dealer labor cost plus parts cost, and I purchase the parts myself, usually from rockauto.

For the labor estimate, I just call the local dealership and ask them, if it doesn't sound right, call another.

If it takes me forever to do the work, and I end up working for $20/hr, that's my problem. I'm not charging them to learn on their car. And that extra time spent increases my knowledge and abilities for future work.

Then I take my time checking internet forums or trying to dig up a service manual if it's diagnostic stuff. If I leave parts purchasing up to the customer, it delays the work, the parts don't show up at my house, or they end up ordering the wrong part, or some cheap knockoff to save $5.

Dealers also like to throw in extra parts that don't necessarily need replacing, so I can reduce their cost there too.

But hey, if you can't do part of the work, than he can take that portion to the dealer still.

As for the A/C work, do what the dealers do, spend some time diagnosing it and give him a quote before you get in too deep, and call him if/when you find any surprises that increase the cost.

The way I see it, is if they're saving 50%, they should expect the repair to take longer than normal, and accept the risk that you might not be able to do some of the work you promised since you don't have the overhead of an auto shop at your disposal. But they should also expect that you're not going to b.s. them or do halfass work.

And if the job is miserable, charge more. What's the worst that can happen, he'll take it somewhere else.
Posted on: 2008/7/9 4:06

red_johnny Re: Flat Rate Question
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Well stated CC. Well I have never done anything that intensive for anyone. But when I do work for a freind I dont charge them as they may be able to one day repay the favor but thats on small repairs. Your talking alot of work here. I say go with what CC said. Charge half and if at the end when your done you want to cut him a break then you can decide to do so.
Posted on: 2008/7/9 13:02

Matatk Re: Flat Rate Question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Just a suggestion, check the intake gasket on that, too. GM had a big problem on the 3.4s with intake gaskets leaking around those years.....ask me how I know

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/9 13:34

BillH Re: Flat Rate Question
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I usually try and charge about 1/2 of the dealer labor cost plus parts cost, and I purchase the parts myself, usually from rockauto.

For the labor estimate, I just call the local dealership and ask them, if it doesn't sound right, call another.

If it takes me forever to do the work, and I end up working for $20/hr, that's my problem. I'm not charging them to learn on their car. And that extra time spent increases my knowledge and abilities for future work.

Then I take my time checking internet forums or trying to dig up a service manual if it's diagnostic stuff. If I leave parts purchasing up to the customer, it delays the work, the parts don't show up at my house, or they end up ordering the wrong part, or some cheap knockoff to save $5.

Dealers also like to throw in extra parts that don't necessarily need replacing, so I can reduce their cost there too.

But hey, if you can't do part of the work, than he can take that portion to the dealer still.

As for the A/C work, do what the dealers do, spend some time diagnosing it and give him a quote before you get in too deep, and call him if/when you find any surprises that increase the cost.

The way I see it, is if they're saving 50%, they should expect the repair to take longer than normal, and accept the risk that you might not be able to do some of the work you promised since you don't have the overhead of an auto shop at your disposal. But they should also expect that you're not going to b.s. them or do halfass work.

And if the job is miserable, charge more. What's the worst that can happen, he'll take it somewhere else.

Well said.
I charge $55 to work on racecars. I usually charge guys with C4's $45.
I always tell people "It shouldn't take more than xxx hours"
and that's with a one hour pad. Then, if I charge them a littles than I quoted, they're happy.
If I run into trouble, I usually eat it. If it's really bad, I stop and call them.
Posted on: 2008/7/9 13:34

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've done lots of freebies, but that's not exactly in the cards if you're replacing a clutch or something.
Posted on: 2008/7/9 18:38

Jeffvette Re: Flat Rate Question
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

Do you also go to a local racer supply store and try on helmets to get your size and then order online?
Posted on: 2008/7/9 19:38

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Couldn't be any worse than the motorcycle dealerships that don't do test rides and instead tell you to go test ride something off craigslist and then come back when you're ready to buy.

Actually I bought mine from the local race supply shop and paid extra for it. They're the only one in town so I prefer to give them business.

If the dealers weren't doing shoddy or overpriced work in the first place, then people wouldn't be paying me to fix their cars.

Last week I fixed a nissan, dealer charged $75 to pull codes and wanted $700 more to change two sensors. I pulled the codes with a screwdriver, spent an hour doing research, verified the bad knock sensor and tps with a multimeter, got new OEM parts for $150, and replaced them in about 2 hours.

Two weeks ago I fixed a Subaru, repair shop wanted $500 for a new column harness to fix a shifter lockout problem. Problem was a sticky solenoid that took an hour to check and 10 seconds to lube. I did that one for free.
Posted on: 2008/7/9 20:01

Danspeed1 Re: Flat Rate Question
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Couldn't be any worse than the motorcycle dealerships that don't do test rides and instead tell you to go test ride something off craigslist and then come back when you're ready to buy.

Actually I bought mine from the local race supply shop and paid extra for it. They're the only one in town so I prefer to give them business.

If the dealers weren't doing shoddy or overpriced work in the first place, then people wouldn't be paying me to fix their cars.

Last week I fixed a nissan, dealer charged $75 to pull codes and wanted $700 more to change two sensors. I pulled the codes with a screwdriver, spent an hour doing research, verified the bad knock sensor and tps with a multimeter, got new OEM parts for $150, and replaced them in about 2 hours.

Two weeks ago I fixed a Subaru, repair shop wanted $500 for a new column harness to fix a shifter lockout problem. Problem was a sticky solenoid that took an hour to check and 10 seconds to lube. I did that one for free.

You think its bad out where you are, you should see some of the shit that fly's by at the dealers by me. That is more one of the reasons I gave up on my Automotive Career. The other was the beating I took on the flat rate time each week.

Its amazing to me. You go to the dealer because you want to have the car fixed "right" and what do they do,? They throw parts at it like the local mechanics shop.

Right now I need the $$, and I don't mind working at my own pace without a service manager breathing down my neck. These people are looking to save some money, and want the job done right, and done once. I think we both have something gain.

Thanks for the advice,... I don't know how my local dealers will take to me asking how much "flat rate time" they charge for the job, but I can give it a try.

Dan
Posted on: 2008/7/10 3:28
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What is flat rate time?

Just ask them the labor cost, or labor hours. They pull it all from a big book anyways.

The guy answering the phone has never changed a struts on an Impala, but his book has.

For fun, ask book time for a C4 fuel pump.
Posted on: 2008/7/10 3:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.