Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
305 user(s) are online (261 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

UK_Moe_Vet Securing the radio
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear All

As previously said - the car did not come with a radio (so I have sourced and installed one - it has a reversing camera - well kewl!), However, seems at some point in her life the factory radio restraint mechanisms were trashed. The new radio is in place but slides back and forth (a bit) for now.

Any clever ideas on how one might go about securing the radio in place ???? Figure I will go to a proper radio installation place and get there advise if I can't come up with something soon

many many thanks
Posted on: 2008/9/15 20:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

red_johnny Re: Securing the radio
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:

UK_Moe_Vet wrote:
Dear All

As previously said - the car did not come with a radio (so I have sourced and installed one - it has a reversing camera - well kewl!), However, seems at some point in her life the factory radio restraint mechanisms were trashed. The new radio is in place but slides back and forth (a bit) for now.

Any clever ideas on how one might go about securing the radio in place ???? Figure I will go to a proper radio installation place and get there advise if I can't come up with something soon

many many thanks
Sure, you can get some metal stripping (the kind with holes in it)but it has to be thick enough to hold a bend. Bend to shape and screw it down. Thats how I did mine in my C4 because the mounting stuff was missing. I think I used the computer grade straping but I am not 100% sure. You can use differant things as well and drill your own holes to fit.
Posted on: 2008/9/15 21:24

CentralCoaster Re: Securing the radio
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

My original bose was a shallow unit with a plastic post on the back that stuck into a hole that was part of the dash reinforcement plastic. I presume all this is cutaway on your car, it has to be to install a normal depth unit. There's not much to attach to in that area besides the floor. Maybe screw/rivet a bracket on there an go up to the bolt on the head unit. Not sure how you'd get your hands in there though.

But the innards of your dash could be 100% different from my 85.
Posted on: 2008/9/15 23:10

Matatk Re: Securing the radio
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I'm not certain how the original factory radio secured to the dash specifically, but there should be several screw holes where brackets would have attached. The aftermarket radio will also have screw holes along the sides for attachment points. Use a piece of aluminum or steel that is thin enough to bend but strong enough to stay in the position (like an "L") desired. Then mark off where the screw holes would be, drill them out, and attach accordingly.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/16 0:01

red_johnny Re: Securing the radio
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I'm not certain how the original factory radio secured to the dash specifically, but there should be several screw holes where brackets would have attached. The aftermarket radio will also have screw holes along the sides for attachment points. Use a piece of aluminum or steel that is thin enough to bend but strong enough to stay in the position (like an "L") desired. Then mark off where the screw holes would be, drill them out, and attach accordingly.

Matthew
Exactly what I am talking about...just written better.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 0:03

Matatk Re: Securing the radio
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I knew what you were saying, but sometimes the thin strapping doesn't line up well, so it's often easier to bend a piece of metal (say 1½-2 inches wide) to make it fit.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/16 0:18

NC Kid Re: Securing the radio
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

I agree with what he said. If you do it cleanly, it should work fine and since it won't be visable, only you will know how it's secured.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 1:56

UK_Moe_Vet Re: Securing the radio
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Thanks all - great advise - will fashion the parts I need manually and have another crack at securing the stereo

cheers all

kev
Posted on: 2008/9/16 16:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.