Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
196 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C6
Abbreviation for the 6th generation of Corvettes built starting in 2005 and are still in production....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

1Fast04Vert Need some advise--DRs coming soon
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

First I am new to the fun of drag racing, wish I had started years ago. I am running my DD 95 Vette, LT1 and the A4, with a 3.07 rear. The only mods don't mean much at the track--SLP Claw intake, Muffler delete, ZR1 wheels with 315/35/17 Sumos. I am running on the local track, which is 1/8th mile. Best so far was an 8.649 @ 86.4 mph, and still spinning on the launch and the 1-2 shift.

Now comes the question--I just purchased a set of BFG Drag Radials (275/35/18) that will be mounted on stock C5 rear wheels. Not being familiar with DRs, plus this is my DD what is the best practices at the track?

Tire Pressure?
Get in the water, burn outs, etc?

I want to hook up, but not break stuff.

Advice appreciated.

ps--I also just did a Meziere WP since my last time at the track.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 2:16

bogus Re: Need some advise--DRs coming soon
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Start shopping for a D44.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 2:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

cuisinartvette Re: Need some advise--DRs coming soon
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Dont get the BFGs, too hot as in John Force style burnout, follow the mfrs instructions.
Youll be fine with the D36 IMO.
Drive it like it stole your lunch!
Posted on: 2008/10/12 2:33

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

1Fast04Vert Re: Need some advise--DRs coming soon
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Start shopping for a D44.

Andy, define that please. I seriously doubt that the D36 is in any danger from my 'stock' LT1. Are you saying something else????

ps--All u-joints are new spicer and hubs are also new, so not worried about those parts.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 2:34

CentralCoaster Re: Need some advise--DRs coming soon
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You can get them heat cycled at some of the local tire shops when mounted, or you can just heat cycle them at the track your first time out.

Basically you want to get them smoking pretty good on your first run of the night. On each run after that, I just do a short burnout, enough to get a little bit of smoke. Unlike street tires that just keep spinning, when you burnout on good DRs you might feel the car start getting more traction partway through the burnout. This means they're ready to go.

The big burnout on your first run won't set you any records, but everyone seems to say this will help you in the long run.

BFG should recommend a pressure on their website, probably about 16psi hot. I like to start higher than that, maybe 18 or 20, simply because its easier to later adjust the pressure down than up. My best launches were way down at 13psi, but every car/driver/tire/track is different.

I drive around the waterbox (to keep front tires dry), then backup into it. The water helps the rear tires slip easier for a more controlled burnout. If you get your front tires wet, the treads drop water on the track and your rears pick it up (bad).

To burnout in the auto you want to hold the brake with your left foot and load up the converter, then let off the brake quickly and floor it, then immediately get back on the brake with your left foot(gently) to keep the car from moving forward too much. I burn the tires until they smoke and let the car creep forward about halfway to the beams before letting up. If you do all of your burnout at the waterbox, you can pick up debris as you roll to the starting beams.

I like to get to the beams first so I can get staged properly and concentrate on my launch rpm. The downside of this is your tires cool off a bit, especially if the other guy is taking his dear sweet time. Stage as shallow as possible until you start getting consistent reaction times, then you can start staging deeper and deeper until you start redlighting.

The perfect launch for me is squealing the tires a bit, keeping just enough rpms to avoid bogging, and trying to get the clutch out quickly while modulating the throttle. With street tires, if you smoke em on launch, you're screwed. With DRs, its easier to let off a bit to get traction back and still get a good run.

Reaction time and 60-ft is EVERYTHING on an 1/8 mile. There's simply no room for error or depending on horsepower to catch back up.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 2:40

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I wouldn't worry about breaking the D36 with an automatic.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 2:49

Jeffvette Re: Need some advise--DRs coming soon
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Just my opinion, but a tad bit overkill for a auto car with nothing done to it.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 5:10

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

CC--great info, Thanks!

Jeff, maybe overkill, but like I said I am spinning too much on the Sumo street tires. Then I had the chance to pick-up 2 new BFG g-force DRs for under $300. So why not?
Posted on: 2008/10/12 12:34

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's my thinking. Might as well make the most of em. It's cheaper than horsepower.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 4:58

pr0zac Re: Need some advise--DRs coming soon
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

you need to do a longer burnout with the sumo's and they should hook better.. but if you get DR do a dry burnout and once they smoke or squeal you are good to go..
Posted on: 2008/11/11 23:41

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Any track results? How high did the front wheels lift off the ground?
Posted on: 2008/11/12 4:09

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Any track results? How high did the front wheels lift off the ground?

If the front wheels came off the ground I would still be out there picking up pieces of my D36. Couple of weeks ago I got to try them out. We were datalogging and tuning, plus I was learning how to handle the DRs. My two best runs were also my last two for the day. Somewhat disappointing as best was a 8.62 with a terrible reaction time. Wish I could have gotten some more runs in, but they started the bracket racing and I did not want to wait 2 hours to get more runs in.

Plans are to go back this Sunday as long as the weather is good. I think there is an easy 8.5? in the car. I will let you know.

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/andyminnich/atparadisevsmustang.jpg[/IMG]
I had this 'stang by about 2 lengths, then he sprayed and we ended up trapping tied.
Posted on: 2008/11/14 5:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.