Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
305 user(s) are online (255 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Corvette Driver Protection
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Just had a passing thought about the driver protection provided by the framing members of the Corvette. Nascar crashes and the cars cages got me to thinking. How much of a lick can you take in a Corvette and expect to make it out alive. As for the other kind of driver protection, I don't need it. I'm monogomous.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 0:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Har, no wrapping that rascal for you - LOL!

Good question, though - I remember when I was a kid, we used to go over and look at the wrecked cars all the time. There was a Corvette that hit a tree at high speed, and it pretty much disintegrated. I'm pretty sure they picked up the driver with a damp rag.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 0:19

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

TommyT-Bone Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I used to go to the junk yard too. Saw a 67 T-bird that held an unlucky 7. Saw my Dads car too. 63 T-Bird he put into a tree. He ate the steering wheel, knocking out his teeth and busted up his ribs. He lived, I can rememeber seeing the blood on the steering wheel and the hair embedded into the windsheild where his head hit. Saw my friends 67 GTO. They had to cut the telephone pole down so they could lift his wrecked goat from around the pole. My wifes wrecked conversion van that got broadsided by a semi. I'm going to dig out those pics and post them one day. Truly unbeleivable. Odd, I had another friend with a GTO lose his life to a phone pole down here in Homestead.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 0:32

biggrizzly Re: Corvette Driver Protection
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I know that the C3s had issues with fire. At least I knew two people in different high schools in my area that died when there C3 crashed and they became trapped, and then burned alive. One was a friend of my sister, and she reminds me of that crash and untimely death every time she sees me in my car.

I took my 14 year old nephew for a spin yesterday and she was looking all worried when we left the house. Still afraid that the corvette will crash and burn.

It was fun though, because this is the first time the kids saw my car. They watched SpeedRacer the other night and first thing they said was, that the Vette looked like the Mach5 (white & red) --- I guess I need the red M on the hood too.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 0:42

Matatk Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I'm not sure about the C4s. I've seen some pics of basic crashes and they seem pretty sturdy. I'm sure the newer ones are much safer with the air bags, safety zones, etc.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/14 1:33

CentralCoaster Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The best way to avoid STDs/pregnancy/sex is to drive a C4.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 1:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

As for crash protection, I've never seen a rollover that caused the halo bar to fail. Surprising, as there's not much reinforcement there. I have seen the A-pillars fail.

Sometime after 1985, Chevy got rid of most of the crash protection inside the doors. I don't know if they deemed it unnecessary, or too heavy, but the late model doors have really nothing there. The 84,85,? have folded steel running the length of the door.

I would say it's biggest weakness is running under a truck or even a guardrail, and having it go through the windshield.

Even worse if you've lowered it
Posted on: 2008/10/14 1:59

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
she reminds me of that crash and untimely death every time she sees me in my car.

Thanks sis! And Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
Posted on: 2008/10/14 2:01

flyboy Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Chicago Tribune-today-Glenview-Corvette crash kills passenger.A passengerkilled early Sunday when the Corvette he was in hit a tree...age 21 ,died 30 minutes after the crash. The driver, also 21 survived.The westbound car slammeda tree shortly before 3:30 a.m.....
Posted on: 2008/10/14 2:18

bogus Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Jerome Brown died when his 91 ZR1 flipped... but the top was not in and the a-piller folded.

The halo looks pretty stout from my point, but it's also verticle, which should make it stronger than an angled windshield frame.

The SMC would give up easily, but at the same time, it would absorb a lot of the kenetic energy. Remember the guy in the stolen Vette and the chase scene on TV? The car broke in half, but he walked away.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 2:55

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Chicago Tribune-today-Glenview-Corvette crash kills passenger.A passengerkilled early Sunday when the Corvette he was in hit a tree...age 21 ,died 30 minutes after the crash. The driver, also 21 survived.The westbound car slammeda tree shortly before 3:30 a.m.....

Yeah, it's sad. A-hole driver was drunk. Glenview's about an hour from me.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/lo ... enview-dui-death-14-oct14,0,5627141.story
Quote:
GLENVIEW
Corvette driver charged with DUI in fatal Glenview crash

THE BLOTTER
October 14, 2008

A judge denied bail Monday for a man accused of drunken driving when his Corvette slammed into a tree in Glenview early Sunday, killing his passenger.

Edward Olshansky, 21, of the 9600 block of Laramie Avenue, Skokie, faces two felony aggravated DUI charges, a misdemeanor DUI charge and an improper lane use citation.

Oleg Oleinik, 21, of the 500 block of Fairway View Drive, Wheeling, was killed in the crash.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/14 11:23

pianoguy Re: Corvette Driver Protection
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I used to go to the junk yard too. Saw a 67 T-bird that held an unlucky 7. Saw my Dads car too. 63 T-Bird he put into a tree. He ate the steering wheel, knocking out his teeth and busted up his ribs. He lived, I can rememeber seeing the blood on the steering wheel and the hair embedded into the windsheild where his head hit. Saw my friends 67 GTO. They had to cut the telephone pole down so they could lift his wrecked goat from around the pole. My wifes wrecked conversion van that got broadsided by a semi. I'm going to dig out those pics and post them one day. Truly unbeleivable. Odd, I had another friend with a GTO lose his life to a phone pole down here in Homestead.

Every kid should go see those cars - it leaves a lasting impression. Glad to hear your dad made it through that - sounds like a nasty one.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 12:43

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.