Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
197 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Josh Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Would there be any interest in replacing the center section of a D44 with a quick change 9 inch? You would still use all the stock stuff (half shafts, suspension mounting points, C-beam, etc...) but you would be able to swap gears pretty easy. It would be stronger too, but I don't really think over powering the ring and/or pinion is an issue for most of us.

The main benefit would be the easier gear changes for different tracks.

If you are interested, what do you think is a reasonable price for a unit like this?
Posted on: 2008/11/8 15:40

Matatk Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I think people would be interested in a swap out of a 9 in for the d36. Sounds pricey to me, though.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/8 15:49

rklessdriver Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Keep me posted. I'm interested as I have thought long and hard about switching my car over to a conventional 4 link and straight axle but for some reason I want to keep the IRS.

So far all I've broke are stub axels and (once) it took out the suspension upright along with it but that was running my ET streets. Putting drag radials on it and changing my lauch tech stopped that, but I want to be able hold this bad boy at 6000RPM and drop the hammer....

As for a reaonable price... we talking entire chunk or just a housing and the stub axels?
Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:55

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

From where I sit, the weakness with the D44 isn't the D44, it's the IRS concept.

Improving the center section would have a benefit - gear changes - but for drag racing, a 4 link is still stronger.

Now... for road racing. That would rock.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Mekanic Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I dunno Bogus, the D44 in the Viper is pulling some CRAZY good 60' times.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:36

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Mekanic Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

TT Viper, full weight, IRS.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:44

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

bogus Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the viper sounds interesting.

They also run a D44... or a variation on the theme.

you don't need to launch all that hard if you have that much power... let the engine pull you. that is one fast SOB.

The bottom line, as I see it - there is a point of deminishing returns for street legal door slammers. And the Corvette is no exception.

As for the Ford 9". I assume this is some kind of aftermarket part, right? I have done some reading lately where the 9" is getting harder to come by. Strange is now doing a D60 rear instead.

As for the GM 10 bolt. JUNK. For that matter, the 12 bolt isn't all that great, but it is better.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 17:58

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

That one is pulling a 1.7 60'.

The viper uses a D44, but with a coilover setup and solid half-shafts.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 18:33

BrianCunningham Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Vipers have an upper a-arm, so the loading is different.

There' a C4 GT1 racecar I've seen running at NHMS that has a quick change center section.

Resized Image

They're pretty sweet. I looked into it, for what gears & setup cost on a D44, it's actually not that bad. Coming up with the new batwing is the trick, but someone on CF has already done it.

This one's setup for an independant, but BE AWARE, this is a smaller unit that can't handle our torque!
http://www.1speedway.com/irs_quickchange.htm
Posted on: 2008/11/8 18:56

rklessdriver Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

1.70's aint nothing to really write home about. He's got the power to run on the big end, but I was pulling 1.60's on 26X11.5 15 ET streets with a stock LT1 on a 150 shot. Of course the stub axels wouldn't make many 5500RPM launches...
Will
Posted on: 2008/11/8 21:42

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Josh Re: Would anyone be interested in a quick change 9 inch center section for the D44?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Yeah, the main benefit to it would be gear changes for road race guys. Like I said, I don't think the D44 ring and pinion is the weak link when it comes to drag racing, so I don't think swapping to a 9 inch center section would be a huge improvement.

What I am talking about is a center section only. 9 inch quick change with stub axles. You would still use the stock half shafts, outer stub axles, etc...
Posted on: 2008/11/10 4:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.