Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
302 user(s) are online (266 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Who has a HF Air Compressor?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I've been wanting to purchase a small air compressor for some time now. Of course, I don't need this to be professional quality, just adequate for what I need. Main uses would be for use on the car (impact, mini-die grinder, filling tires) and home use (framing nailer/finish nailer for basement remodel, etc).

I found this one that is a good size, appropriate cfm, etc. Anyone used it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf ... item.taf?Itemnumber=65410

Ideas? Thoughts? Rude comments?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/14 15:24

BillH Re: Who has a HF Air Compressor?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Well, I buy small unimportant chit at HF. What I won't buy there: wrenches, sockets, anything air operated, anything electrical.

The compressor you mentioned will fill your tires and will run a nailgun(if you aren't in a hurry). But, it's really inadequate for a die grinder or spraygun. And you will probably have to weight for it to catch up when using an impact. And the psi for a 1/2 inch impact to pull tires is marginable.

Unless you just want to fill tires and beach balls, a compressor is one of your tools that you have to spend a little extra money on.

If this compressor is in your budget, $200, I'd add another $100 and get something larger and better.
Sears sells a 2HP, 26 gallon tank model with 2 impact guns for $299. Look at the Husky brands at Home Depot, decent value. Or find a used compressor, there are some very good deals out there.
If you were close, I'd sell you my Craftsman with a 12 gallon tank for $75.
Posted on: 2008/12/14 16:05

Matatk Re: Who has a HF Air Compressor?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks, Bill. My dad actually has a smaller compressor/nailer kit from HF and I have used it on several occasions when I lived closer. I was impressed by the durability/quality for the price.

I think a 26 gallon is nice for the garage if stationary, but I may be moving it throughout the house where portability may be a requirement.

As far as required cfm for hand tools, from what I can tell on the internet 5 cfm should be sufficient. Does your experience vary?

http://www.redhillsupply.com/air-compressor-cfm-chart-info.htm

http://www.northerntool.com/catalog/buyersguides/aircompressors/

Thanks again,

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/14 17:31

joeld Re: Who has a HF Air Compressor?
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I agree 100% with BillH on the size of the tank. Using a die grinder with a small comp is almost impossible. Those things use an enormous amount of air, same with a spray gun if you're trying to paint a large surface. Myself, I gave up trying to use a air powered grinder years ago and just went with electric. This is one of those items that it pays in the long run to buy as much capacity and H/P as you can.
I too wanted a portable type comp, mine is a 3 H/P with 12 gal tank. Wish I had bought at least a 20 gal.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/12/14 17:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Thanks, Bill. My dad actually has a smaller compressor/nailer kit from HF and I have used it on several occasions when I lived closer. I was impressed by the durability/quality for the price.

I think a 26 gallon is nice for the garage if stationary, but I may be moving it throughout the house where portability may be a requirement.

As far as required cfm for hand tools, from what I can tell on the internet 5 cfm should be sufficient. Does your experience vary?

Thanks again,

Matthew

I looked at the Northern one and I think if their specs show 4-8 for a grinder, the 8's probably closer to the real world.
Like Joe, I've got a 12 tank and a very old Sears which only will put out 100 psi now. It's absolutely a pain in the ass with a grinder/spraygun. You're always waiting for it to catch up.
Examples: with my IR mini right angle grinder using a 2 inch disc to remove paint on an oil pan, you do get the 20,000 rpm for about 3/4's of a minute, then the tool slows down, loosed power. You can wait for the compressor or use it at the lower power (which makes me cuss).
And, I've got a Campbell Hassfeld 1/2 inch impact. At 100 psi, it won't bust lug nuts, it will at 125. It also runs very slow after the first nut.

As far as portabiliy around the house, it's easier to just run the hose (at least for me). I've got 75 feet that gets me anywhere around my house.
You have to decide what fits your budget but, think long term.
My next compressor will have around 9cfm at 100psi. I'll spend $650 for it.
Again, check the Husky at HD or Sears. BUT, note that all the Sears red ones are extremely loud.

BTW, I buy a lot of things from Northern Tool, very satisfied with them.
Posted on: 2008/12/15 15:31

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks, Bill and Joel. I appreciate the real world advice. We all know that's better than some BS marketing stuff. I'm gonna wait until after Xmas. I am not sure if I'm getting one from my dad as a gift or not. Plus there are usually some good sales after Xmas. I don't really have a set budget. I'll spend what I need to. I always weigh my options in cost/value/quality so I don't mind spending more if I get something good. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/15 22:26

CentralCoaster Re: Who has a HF Air Compressor?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I ended up getting this one on sale at home depot for $250. It was the biggest bang for the buck I could find that ran on 110V and didn't take up too much space. It's also belt driven and oiled, so it's not quite as loud as the compressor you're probably looking at, but still loud.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/s ... 0063473&categoryID=524403

It's barely enough to run a LPLV paint gun on body panels. Also used it for spraying ceiling texture. Haven't tried it with the DA sander yet. If it wasn't for the larger tank though, it wouldn't do the job.
Posted on: 2008/12/16 0:07

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks Kevin. Looks like I might buy a larger one and keep it in the garage since that will be where the majority of my usage is.
Here's another question. I've read you shouldn't use a oiled compressor for painting. Correct or no? I don't plan on it now, but you never know what the future holds.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/16 0:30

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Oil-free compressors suck. All the large compressors are oiled.

You should be running a filter and drier anyways, and that should catch any oil.
Posted on: 2008/12/16 0:36

Livin_the_dream Re: Who has a HF Air Compressor?
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

You should be running a filter and drier anyways, and that should catch any oil.

t & p equipment has some nice dryer/filter combos
Posted on: 2008/12/16 1:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I agree with Kevin, the oil filters work, no concerns with painting. And you can get a dessicant dryer that screws into your paint gun that will last for a couple of paint jobs. They're throwaway, about $5 each.
Posted on: 2008/12/16 14:32

biggrizzly Re: Who has a HF Air Compressor?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

The link below is the one I bought last year. It served me well with my engine rebuild. It is also small enough that if you had to roll it into the house to do some project with a nailer you could. I moved it from the other house to our new house with no problem. I roll it all over the garage depending on my needs, and it only costs a little more than the HF unit.

The tools that come with it are ok, but there are better ones out there. However it will do everything that you stated and more. I think it is a great bang for the buck.

Its not an oiled unit, but you can install filters, traps and dryers if you really want to get into it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12 ... Compressors+%26+Inflators
Posted on: 2008/12/16 14:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

It's barely enough to run a LPLV paint gun on body panels. Also used it for spraying ceiling texture. Haven't tried it with the DA sander yet. If it wasn't for the larger tank though, it wouldn't do the job.

Hey CC, Have you shot much with the LPLV ? Are you satisfied with it? I haven't used one yet.
What brand did you buy?

Thanks;
Posted on: 2008/12/16 14:44

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks Don, but after reading the reviews on the website I might pass....lol. I like craftsman hand tools, but my dad said their compressors are made by Campbell Hausfield and are garbage so stay away from them. With reviews like that I can understand why.

I've been browsing the used ones on craigslist so maybe I'll stumble across something.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/17 1:41

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Hey CC, Have you shot much with the LPLV ? Are you satisfied with it? I haven't used one yet.
What brand did you buy?

Thanks;

Astro Pneumatic. I haven't gotten the hang of it enough or used it enough to give a review yet though.
Posted on: 2008/12/17 1:52

Schrade Re: Who has a HF Air Compressor?
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

You'll need a drier for media blasting too, otherwise you'll get flash rust in a few minutes (like your brake rotors do overnight). You can probably get away with no filter for blasting.
Posted on: 2008/12/17 1:52

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.