Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
315 user(s) are online (239 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

red_johnny Lets talk GUNS
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I am looking to buy a new or used pistol. I want at least .40 or bigger, hi cap mags, semi-auto of course. My range is about 500-800 to include everything I need, case, mags, ect. I like the baby eagle, sigs and maybe Glocks. I will be purchasing one in January around the end of the month. I will be using this to maintain on my person and for targets. I want to stay away from anything that is too complicated to clean IE take apart. Anyway, what do you all think? I have been looking strongly at Springfield Armory XD Pistol, 45 ACP holds 13 plus 1!
[IMG]http://pictures.auctionarms.com/4736215004/img_1054_5.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/12/27 5:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Lets talk GUNS
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I like the Sig .357. Nice piece.

Can't go wrong with H&K or Glock, either.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 5:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

JrRifleCoach Re: Lets talk GUNS
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Pick a caliber that suits your requirements. Keep in mind the costs of ammo for practice. All around the .40 is nice compromise.

Find a range that rents and tryout a few of the models in your caliber. Balance, feel, easy to get on target quickly is what the testing should prove.

I like to pickup the gun off the bench, point and start shooting at the target. The gun that has the best fit to point and hit target is my choice. For me it was the Glock 19 .40 SW.

Also consider carry weight and bulk (concealment)

Good luck shooping.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 7:10
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

Matatk Re: Lets talk GUNS
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I recommend shooting a few before you make a decision. There are many gun ranges where you can rent a variety of guns and see what you like.

A few questions - why are you set on a .40? Have you considered a 9mm? A 9 mm is much cheaper to shoot than a .40 if you put a lot of rounds through it. You'll notice the .40 is the same frame size as a 9 mm. If you can carry a larger frame, I'd go for a .45. In my opinion it shoots better than a .40 because the balance is better for all the pistols I've shot.

The XD is a nice gun. So are the glocks. You might prefer the XD because you can get it with an external safety (w/the kids around, etc). If you will consider a 9mm, the new ruger is nice, beretta 92 is a great gun. Although HKs are great guns, they are out of your price range.

PM me if you want to talk more.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/27 11:37

crash Re: Lets talk GUNS
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

WHEN I IN IN TO SHOOTING I HAD A COLT 45 ACP GOLD CUP. I HAD IT SET UP FOR SHOOTING BOWLING PIN MATCHS. OUT OF THE BOX IT WAS A FINE PEICE. I TOOK AND HAD IT THROATED AND IT WAS GREAT. SO IF THE SRINGFIELD ARMORY HAS A SIMILAR PEICE ID GO THAT ROUTE. ALSO I USED TO LOAD MY OWN ROUNDS AND YOU CAN WORK UP A LOAD THAT WORKS FOR YOU. WHICH EVER ONE YOU CHOOSE HAPPY SHOOTING AND BE SAFE
Posted on: 2008/12/27 13:06

ghoffman Re: Lets talk GUNS
Senior Guru
258 Posts

I have the Springfield Armory 45 and really love it. I also have a Ruger P90DC and have shot SIG P220 45 a lot. I like the SA the best especially since I have an Insight Tek gear X2L laser/flashlight on it:
Resized Image

http://www.insighttechgearstore.com/x2l.html

If you have never shot with a laser, you need to try it. It eliminates the parallax associated with lining up the rear sight, front sight and target. I would never buy ANY pistol anymore that does not have a Picatinny rail on the frame for a laser/flashlight. In addition, think of the impact of someone trying to rip off your garage and you put a laser and/or a flashlight on the face or chest of the intruder after he hears the slide chamber a round.
I have many friends that are Marines or other Military and they all think that a 9 mm is a waste of time. Even the FBI went back to 45's for the hostage rescue teams. I really think a 45 is the way to go unless you are a small person with small hands. I really do not think a 45 recoils that much, especially compared to a 44 Mag and up to a 500 S&W (which is ridiculous). I also have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag and it does give you a healthy kick but my wife shoots it and she is not very big.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 14:38

red_johnny Re: Lets talk GUNS
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
I have the Springfield Armory 45 and really love it. I also have a Ruger P90DC and have shot SIG P220 45 a lot. I like the SA the best especially since I have an Insight Tek gear X2L laser/flashlight on it:
I also feel that the 9mm is a waste of time. I want something with stopping power and I can get that with a .40 or .45
I am starting to lean toward the .45 as I go through my searches. I know that ammo is more expensive the higher caliber you go. I like the idea of going to a range and firring several weapons. My buddy has a glock 22 in .40 so I will be able to fire that. ghoffman, I like what you said about the SA and the flashlight, laser combo. I defiantly what a laser at least on what ever pistol I get but it does have to be concealable. All in all it is going to serve 2 purposes, caring concealed and firring at the range. I am also looking at getting a riffle but I want something different that wont break the bank. It will be for target shooting only right now and I was thinking getting a heavy barrel and a healthy scope.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 15:05

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I like the Sig .357. Nice piece.

Can't go wrong with H&K or Glock, either.
I like the SIGs alot. I have been searching the regular sites for guns and found a few deals on the XD but I am not locked in on it yet.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 15:07

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I recommend shooting a few before you make a decision. There are many gun ranges where you can rent a variety of guns and see what you like.

A few questions - why are you set on a .40? Have you considered a 9mm? A 9 mm is much cheaper to shoot than a .40 if you put a lot of rounds through it. You'll notice the .40 is the same frame size as a 9 mm. If you can carry a larger frame, I'd go for a .45. In my opinion it shoots better than a .40 because the balance is better for all the pistols I've shot.

The XD is a nice gun. So are the glocks. You might prefer the XD because you can get it with an external safety (w/the kids around, etc). If you will consider a 9mm, the new ruger is nice, beretta 92 is a great gun. Although HKs are great guns, they are out of your price range.

PM me if you want to talk more.

Matthew
Your exactly right on with the safty. Thats a huge concern of mine. When the gun is at home it will be locked in its own case but kids can allways find keys. I am going to teach my son some gun safty and take him to the range...might qualify him for a merit badge.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 15:10

Ramrod Re: Lets talk GUNS
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I have a few pistols and revolvers in my collection, and I find that my 2" S & W 38 Special is my favorite. E-Z to clean, few mechanical gizmos, E-Z to check if it's loaded and E-Z to carry. It dosen't have the initial stopping power or the capacity of other pieces, but it's the one I'm most comfortable with when I'm out.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 15:41

BillH Re: Lets talk GUNS
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The Springfields are nice.

I went the inexpensive route. A 9mm, may be a waste of time but it's much better than my Ruger 22 for home protection.
I figure that I can put 6 to 8 hollowpoint rounds into an intruder and they'll at least stop to think about it.

For the range, Wallyworld has the Winchester 100 valuepack for under $20.

I bought a Smith 9mm Sigma, new, for $280.
I did take it apart and moded the trigger pull, polished the mechanicals.
Is it like a $600 Smith, Glock? Nope. But I can put 6 rounds in a 6 inch circle in 5 seconds.
For my gun budget, it was a great value.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 15:59

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
The Springfields are nice.

I went the inexpensive route. A 9mm, may be a waste of time but it's much better than my Ruger 22 for home protection.
I figure that I can put 6 to 8 hollowpoint rounds into an intruder and they'll at least stop to think about it.

For the range, Wallyworld has the Winchester 100 valuepack for under $20.

I bought a Smith 9mm Sigma, new, for $280.
I did take it apart and moded the trigger pull, polished the mechanicals.
Is it like a $600 Smith, Glock? Nope. But I can put 6 rounds in a 6 inch circle in 5 seconds.
For my gun budget, it was a great value.
Guess I should have thought the 9mm comment out more. When compaired to the higher caliber its more of a waste of time but it does suit differant needs. Personal defence with hallow points is pretty effective. You can stop someone with one or two hallow points. Plus you can usually hold quite a bit in the mag as well. The SA that I posted a pic of can hold 13 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. Thats pretty darn impressive!
Posted on: 2008/12/27 17:08

Ramrod Re: Lets talk GUNS
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the new pistols or revolvers they have out today. You have to shoot as many as you can as often as you can to get the "Feel" for the one that fits your hand and has the most natural point and shoot. Can you pick it up with one hand and have it fit without fiddling or fumbling? do you shoot one hand or two? have you tried a revolver with a speed loader? We have an outdoor range that does different competitions on weekends, Steel Challenge, Combat, etc. it gives a good indication of reaction time, accuracy under some stress(a timed event) and the opportunity to try diffrent types of guns. Ask around at gun stores or go to the NRA website.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 17:31

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
I also feel that the 9mm is a waste of time. I want something with stopping power and I can get that with a .40 or .45
I am starting to lean toward the .45 as I go through my searches. I know that ammo is more expensive the higher caliber you go. I like the idea of going to a range and firring several weapons. My buddy has a glock 22 in .40 so I will be able to fire that. ghoffman, I like what you said about the SA and the flashlight, laser combo. I defiantly what a laser at least on what ever pistol I get but it does have to be concealable. All in all it is going to serve 2 purposes, caring concealed and firring at the range. I am also looking at getting a riffle but I want something different that wont break the bank. It will be for target shooting only right now and I was thinking getting a heavy barrel and a healthy scope.

The Insight laser/flashlight is so small, it is intended for concealed carry. It weighs a couple of ounces and is tiny.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 17:49

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Guess I should have thought the 9mm comment out more. When compaired to the higher caliber its more of a waste of time but it does suit differant needs. Personal defence with hallow points is pretty effective. You can stop someone with one or two hallow points. Plus you can usually hold quite a bit in the mag as well. The SA that I posted a pic of can hold 13 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. Thats pretty darn impressive!

I wanted a 40, but looking at costs got me to the 9.

The Smith holds 16 hollow 9mms. And for the $280 it came with 2 clips. So I got 32 for the bad guys.

I was the Smith 50 Cal on "On the Factory Follr" or one of those shows. I'd love to have a chance to shoot one. The design of this revolver to beat the stress of the round and minimize the recoil is very impressive.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 17:58

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I have held several guns, beretta, glocks, 1 revolver (not sure on the brand) and then the .45 or .44 desert eagle. I did want one of those until I held it, that thing is HUGE! Too heavy and not very comfortable.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 18:31

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
The Insight laser/flashlight is so small, it is intended for concealed carry. It weighs a couple of ounces and is tiny.

Excellent. Thats really what I am looking for. I will definately look those out no matter what gun I choose and make sure that the gun I choose can have that ability.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 18:33

biggrizzly Re: Lets talk GUNS
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I had many pistols and revolvers over the years. I loved them all, and wish I had a few of them back, however when times were lean a few years back and we needed money I wound up selling off at least a dozen handguns and only kept two.

My gun - a Glock 35 that I used for IDPA. It is .40 cal with night sights and match grade barrel. I know this gun and love it.

My wife's gun - Ruger SP101 five shot revolver with in .38sp/.357 - I mounted a set of Crimson Trace grips on it for her so she don't need to worry about anything except center of mass.

I chose .40 cal over the other calibers because every law enforcement agency that I shot with used the .40 cal in a Glock or Sig firearm. Brass was cheap (free) and I like to reload.

However, You do need to be careful with .40 cal if you plan to reload especially in the Glocks because of the unsupported chamber. If you have a hot load you can wind up with an overpressure situation. I have witnessed this twice at the range in the past ten years. Once I was standing right next to the guy when the gun went kaboom. The mag was blown out of the grip and into a million pieces and the frame cracked in his hand, splitting the flesh the entire length of his grip.

I picked the Ruger for my wife because of its simplicity and beauty in machining. Its such a nice little gem. She can shoot targets all day with .38 reloads and enjoy the crap out of it. She also knows what it feels like to shoot .38+P and .357mags out of it, so no surprises there either. It is a pretty versatile little gun. It will shoot snake shot, buckshot and the big magnum loads too.

One day I will refill my arsenal again, but for now these two have been the tools of choice for me.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 19:15

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

In regard to the tac light and concealed carry, that's a negative. I don't know anyone that carries concealed with a tac light on it. It's too bulky. That defeats the purpose of concealed carry. On top of that, good luck finding holsters to accommodate a tac light. There are certain holsters for the smaller pistols, like kel-tecs and lcps that will hold a light, but pretty much non-existant with a large frame firearm. Holsters get pretty bulky once you add lights in there. You'd be better off to carry a small flashlight in your back pocket, and it'd be more useful, too. I've used lasers, and they are a neat toy, but more of a gimmick. Not necessary.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/27 23:50

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
One day I will refill my arsenal again, but for now these two have been the tools of choice for me.

I've got a few on my list that if I ever came across a great deal I'd have to pick em up:

Beretta 92 (very impressed with the balance of this gun, great shooter)
Ruger Mark III (for targets and trigger control practice)
Any 1911 (always wanted one)
New Ruger 9mm (haven't shot one yet, but heard it's a good shooter, good price. I'd give up my baby glock 26 9mm for this one)
Pump shotgun (remington or mossberg - home defense)

One of my best friends is neighbors with a guy who owns a gun shop and will give me great deals on new stuff, I just can't justify the cost for stuff I don't need. He gave me a great price on my last one, though.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/27 23:59

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
In regard to the tac light and concealed carry, that's a negative. I don't know anyone that carries concealed with a tac light on it. It's too bulky. That defeats the purpose of concealed carry. On top of that, good luck finding holsters to accommodate a tac light. There are certain holsters for the smaller pistols, like kel-tecs and lcps that will hold a light, but pretty much non-existant with a large frame firearm. Holsters get pretty bulky once you add lights in there. You'd be better off to carry a small flashlight in your back pocket, and it'd be more useful, too. I've used lasers, and they are a neat toy, but more of a gimmick. Not necessary.

Matthew
Good point, something like that would be better suited for home defense. Still, the lasers are cool lookin.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 0:53

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
[
New Ruger 9mm (haven't shot one yet, but heard it's a good shooter, good price. I'd give up my baby glock 26 9mm for this one)

Matthew

The Ruger Mark III, 22 Right? I have a Mark I with trigger stop etc. It's really accurate.

I looked at the Ruger 9mm, RS-9. It got very good reviews even from guys that don't like Ruger. With the separate safety and adjustable sight, it blows away my new Smith Sigma but the best price I got was $440.
Note: If you do happen to look at one, check the serisl number, should be over 30,000. If not, it's involved in a recall on the trigger safety.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 2:52

Senior Guru
258 Posts

lasers are certainly not a gimmick. The entire US military uses them. Google ATPIAL (Advanced Target Pointer/ Illuminator/ Aiming Light) for the M-16 and M4.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 5:09

4543 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I've used lasers, and they are a neat toy, but more of a gimmick. Not necessary.

Matthew

If you have used anything other than Crimson Trace I can understand your statement. But the Crimson Trace items (and a few others) are high quality and work as intended. I have tried a few of the Micky Mouse units that screw on to a rail under the barrel of the gun, and I agree that they are junk. However the Crimson Trace grips seem to work pretty well. They are not meant to be bulls eye pistol match sights, but a quick acquisition of the target under limited conditions. Perfect for someone with less that perfect shot control and or high stress situation.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 5:10

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I've used lasers, and they are a neat toy, but more of a gimmick. Not necessary.

Matthew

If you have used anything other than Crimson Trace I can understand your statement. But the Crimson Trace items (and a few others) are high quality and work as intended. I have tried a few of the Micky Mouse units that screw on to a rail under the barrel of the gun, and I agree that they are junk. However the Crimson Trace grips seem to work pretty well. They are not meant to be bulls eye pistol match sights, but a quick acquisition of the target under limited conditions. Perfect for someone with less that perfect shot control and or high stress situation.

Insight supplies the US Army, and USMC and USAF, etc. Crimnson trace does not.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 5:22

4543 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

I've got a few on my list that if I ever came across a great deal I'd have to pick em up:

Matthew

I have owned all of the guns on your short list there and they are no longer in my possession.

The Ruger Mark I, II, and III are great for practice and rimfire pistol matches, however the 22/45 is a better practice piece as it has the basic grip and shape as a larger frame pistol.

Berretta makes shotguns, not pistols... IMHO (sorry for the sarcasm)

For a baby glock, go for the 27 which is a .40, one of the sweetest shooting guns I ever owned in that size.

Can't say anything about the Ruger 9mm since they have tons of guns in 9mm and not sure which you are talking about. I love Ruger Firearms, so I'm sure it is a good piece. I'm usually just kind of Glock-centric, so I favor them over most other auto loading pistols.

My choices are:

Berretta Shotguns
Glock Pistols
Ruger or Smith Revolvers
Remington, Bushmaster, and Ruger Rifles

Don't ever buy a Keltec P40. That gun was the worst I ever owned. I owned it for a week before I sold it to the next person that would hate it too. The gun had a hard time digesting anything but certain factory loads, and would jam or stovepipe my best reloads. You could polish the feed ramp until it was a mirror slick, but still would hang on many round.

OK - done with my narrow view of modern firearms.

Here is a photo I took of mine last year for gun article I wrote in a local club newsletter.

Attach file:

jpg  idpa_G35_002.jpg (188.89 KB)
342_49570e2ec047a.jpg 800X600 px
Posted on: 2008/12/28 5:27

4543 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Insight supplies the US Army, and USMC and USAF, etc. Crimnson trace does not.

Agree
Posted on: 2008/12/28 5:29

Senior Guru
258 Posts

The lasers are all but useless during the day, iron sights are just as useless at night. My goal is to never have to shoot in a personal defense situation, so one thing about the tac light and laser is to get the intruder to flee or give up. Most tac lights and lasers are pretty big, but the Insight X2L weighs 1.9 ounces with the battery and that is with the aiming laser as well. Considering that it gets dark about 4:30 these days, and we had 5 days of no power due to an ice storm a couple of weeks ago, I like the additional capability of the little Insight gizmo. Besides, it slides off in about 2 seconds with no tools if you don't need it and holds boresight when you put it back on. I just think that getting any new gun without the Picatinny rail these days is silly. Even some M1911's are now coming with it.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 14:08

dan0617 Re: Lets talk GUNS
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

My only pistol is a Ruger P95DC 9mm and I love it. I'd like to get a fairly big revolver and hunt some with it someday but I can't save for one as I continually put all my money into the Corvette or the 5th wheel or the house or the kids or the wife.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:20

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Ok, I'll try to get my responses in....

As far as lasers go....I'm not saying they aren't used. They are used in the military in laser guided tracking, etc, with great results. Some special ops teams might use them, but the regular soldiers aren't issued lasers on their m16s. Most swat teams will use optics like the eotech. This is for quick target acquisition as well as accuracy. But iron sights are just fine for most applications. If you want to put a $500 scope on your m16, go for it.

I'm not against lasers. I think they are a waste of money. I shoot great without one. I do, however, have trijicon night sights on both of my glocks which are a necessity, imho. The stock sights suck. I think that proper practice techniques will make you more proficient than a laser. If you want one, go for it. I think the psychological effect against an intruder is almost worth it for home defense.

As far as the guns, I really like the mark III. Shoots nice. True the 45/22 conversion is also a good option, but I've never shot one. Also, it costs almost as much as a mark II or III.

As far as Berettas I've had a couple. Sold my .25 jetfire with tip-up barrel which impressed me for a mouse gun. Still have an old beretta .380 that I like. I shot my buddy's well used 92 which had great balance and I shot an incredible pattern with it. Marines issued the 92 for many years. Never tried their shotguns.

Sorry, I was not clear when I said ruger 9mm. I meant the brand new ruger sr9. It's their version of a polyframe semiauto.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9/Specifications.html#
I do have the ruger lcp (already had recall done )
and I like it. For a tiny gun that weighs so little it's a nice shooter.

I don't have one brand that I'm loyal to or think is the best. Every manufacturer/pistol has pluses and minuses. It's finding the balance that suits your needs.

John, I think we all agree that there are a lot of good choices out there, and you should try to shoot a variety of them to see what you like. Good luck.

Matthew

Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:44

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Don -

How is it shooting with the PACT? I've never used one.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:47

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I plan on going to a range very soon and there is a indoor one here locally that I am going to try out. They let you rent what ever gun they have available so I figure I will spend about 100 bucks firing several weapons. I hope to get that done in the next week or two.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 23:04

4543 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
I plan on going to a range very soon and there is a indoor one here locally that I am going to try out. They let you rent what ever gun they have available so I figure I will spend about 100 bucks firing several weapons. I hope to get that done in the next week or two.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive from Augusta, some of my best friends own the Carolina Star Gun & Hunt Club located in Windsor SC. Peggy Crocket owns the place and will treat you good. She has covered outdoor pistol and rifle ranges. High Power ranges at 300 and 500
Trap and Skeet fields too. This place was the training facility for the one of the Olympic teams when the summer Olympics were in Atlanta.

She won't have a bunch of iron for you to try out, but she can get you anything you want at a reasonable price.

http://www.carolinastar.com

Cheers and happy shooting
Posted on: 2008/12/28 23:57

4543 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Don -

How is it shooting with the PACT? I've never used one.

Matthew

The timer is just used for timing shot strings during practice and matches. It works well even if shooting alone because it has a random timer on it for starting signal. It measures each clap and remembers them in order. It really helps when you are trying to work on shot speed.

But as far as IDPA goes, I have found that placement is more important than speed, and if I slow down enough to really place every shot where it is intended my scores go up. If I'm not concentrating and just moving through too fast, or if I get a little jazzed up by a bad string or shot, my score sucks.

Anyhow - it is all in fun, and I haven't found a group up here in Maryland that I enjoy as much as my buddies back in South Carolina.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 0:03

flyboy Re: Lets talk GUNS
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The new SIG Sauer P250 looks interesting. The removable lock module lets the user choose from 5 different grip frame sizes and 4 calibers. Polymer frame, D.A.O. Sug. ret. $749. It's not a carry gun, but I love my CZ75 decocker. You've ruled out a wheel gun?
Posted on: 2008/12/29 0:55

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
The new SIG Sauer P250 looks interesting. The removable lock module lets the user choose from 5 different grip frame sizes and 4 calibers. Polymer frame, D.A.O. Sug. ret. $749. It's not a carry gun, but I love my CZ75 decocker. You've ruled out a wheel gun?
Yeah a wheel gun is not my thing. Good for shooting targets and such but I think they are more for the collector. I have to be able to carry too. I like SIGs guns but its very important for me to have the ability to conceal.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:18

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Sorry, I was not clear when I said ruger 9mm. I meant the brand new ruger sr9. It's their version of a polyframe semiauto.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9/Specifications.html#

Matthew

That's the one I was talking about. I looked at it when I bought my Smith.
I played with one in the gun shop. Very nice piece for the money.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 14:42

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Anyone into precision rifles here? That is more my speed...
Posted on: 2008/12/29 15:08

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Anyone into precision rifles here? That is more my speed...
Thats part 2 of my story. I want a nice precision rifle as well. Any ideas?
Posted on: 2008/12/29 15:30

4543 Posts

I have a couple good books at the house on Precision Shooting and Rifle Accuracy that I got a while back, when I get home I'll see if I can get the titles. They would be a great place to start. You can get several thousand dollars tied up in a good precision rifle.

My favorite rounds

.280 Ackley

.22 cal --- Specifically my hotrodded 10-22

The Bushmaster Varminter in .223 is an incredible rifle out of the box. but when tweaked and a good optic set on top, it is just awesome. This will shoot roaches easily at 100 yards and will do excellent at 300. I have shot this rifle in fun shoots at 500 yards against .380 sniper guys and I hit the target as many times as they did. I had roughly a 32" drop over 500 yards with the rounds I was using. We needed a spotter to let us know when I hit the gong, because we couldn't see or here them hit from 500 yards away.

Remington ADL in .308 or .270 with a custom stock and bedding works very good too.

Precision Shooting has a lot to do with good ammo. I like to do my own or have bought specific reloads from a company outside of Atlanta called Georgia Arms.

There is a lot of nice guns out there. Ruger has some real nice bolt action rifles I'd love to have. Most of the guys I shoot with will own nothing but Single Shot bolt action .308s
Posted on: 2008/12/29 16:06

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I was looking at the bolt action. I am not set on them though. I think I am going to set my budget at about 1400 to include the scope. I also dont mind buying used so I feel I should be able to find a deal out there.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 16:11

4543 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
I was looking at the bolt action. I am not set on them though. I think I am going to set my budget at about 1400 to include the scope. I also dont mind buying used so I feel I should be able to find a deal out there.

Used is a great way to go. A lot of people buy a nice rifle and then hardly ever take the thing out and shoot it. I guess I have become that way somewhat also of late.

I bet there is a lot of good stuff out there right about now for sale too.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 17:10

Senior Guru
258 Posts

The biggest question is what do you want to do with it? I have a 17HM2, (converted Ruger 10-22), 22's of various sorts, a 222 Rem, a 223 (DPMS heavy barrel AR-15) a 22-250 (custom Rem 40-X) 7mmSTW, 300 Winmag. In 1999 I went to a Benchrest school in upstate NY and used a Borden/Nesika Bay action, with a Hart barrel in 6mm PPC and shot 100 yard groups (in inches, center to center of the widest holes, 5 shot groups) of .192, .195, .205, .209 (which had me 3rd out of 130 going into the 5th and final match of the day)., then I choked and shot a horrible .405 which dropped me into like 13th or so. The funny thing is 4/10th's of an inch group size at 100 yards is great for most varmint rifles, and awesome for any hunting rifle, but .405 is totally atrocious for Bench Rest Competition rifles. The point here is, what do you want it to do? The famous gunsmith P.O. Ackley was quoted as saying "only accurate rifles are interesting" and that is pretty much my attitude as well.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 17:17

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I know zip about hunting rifles, so I can't help you there. I agree used is always an option. There are a bunch of online gun sites out there. Thefiringline.com is one that comes to mind that I like. Check that out, you might find some good info.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/29 23:13

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
The biggest question is what do you want to do with it? I have a 17HM2, (converted Ruger 10-22), 22's of various sorts, a 222 Rem, a 223 (DPMS heavy barrel AR-15) a 22-250 (custom Rem 40-X) 7mmSTW, 300 Winmag. In 1999 I went to a Benchrest school in upstate NY and used a Borden/Nesika Bay action, with a Hart barrel in 6mm PPC and shot 100 yard groups (in inches, center to center of the widest holes, 5 shot groups) of .192, .195, .205, .209 (which had me 3rd out of 130 going into the 5th and final match of the day)., then I choked and shot a horrible .405 which dropped me into like 13th or so. The funny thing is 4/10th's of an inch group size at 100 yards is great for most varmint rifles, and awesome for any hunting rifle, but .405 is totally atrocious for Bench Rest Competition rifles. The point here is, what do you want it to do? The famous gunsmith P.O. Ackley was quoted as saying "only accurate rifles are interesting" and that is pretty much my attitude as well.
Well, I want a rifle for shooting targets. I would like a acurate weapon but I also like the unusual ones as well. I saw a few SKS rifles on a site that looked interesting. AK's are nice, full autos are cool, something differant though I think would be my thing. I like scoped weapons too. I guess I am really undecided.
Posted on: 2008/12/30 0:30

flyboy Re: Lets talk GUNS
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Some consider the action less than handsome, but the venerable Savage 110 bolt action is very affordable. The "accu-trigger" is great. They have a heavy barrel version that is very accurate.
Posted on: 2008/12/30 3:13

Senior Guru
258 Posts

For sure, I totally agree, the Savage rifles are very accurate and they allow first class optics (Leupold, Burris, etc) within the $1400 budget. They have some new rifles that lok excellent:
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/12/30 3:41

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I heard of savage and that they have excellent guns. Right now I am just kinda brousing but in a few weeks I will be buying so nows the time for my research. I guess I really need to decide on what I want first. I keep falling back to a gun I can shoot fairly long distance with but yet have it not be an every day gun. Something that I wont get bored with. I think 500 meters would be pleanty far for now for a starter gun. I can shoot the 300 meter targets about 80% of the time on the Iron sights on the M-16 so 500 on a scope should be cake. Surely it depends on the gun though. Do any of you have ideas for a unique gun in the price range? I saw AK's run about that much but looking for something a bit differant for the first gun. Maybe a AK is in the future but not right now.
Posted on: 2008/12/30 4:26

Senior Guru
258 Posts

If you want a semi auto get an AR-15 type rifle. The AK's and SKS are horribly inaccurate. The AR's are available now from Remington (among many others) in 223, 7mm-08, 308 and are very accurate and have a camo finish and the picatinny rail for scope mounts.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/12/30 14:01

4543 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
If you want a semi auto get an AR-15 type rifle. The AK's and SKS are horribly inaccurate. The AR's are available now from Remington (among many others) in 223, 7mm-08, 308 and are very accurate and have a camo finish and the picatinny rail for scope mounts.
Resized Image

Agree 100% Don't waste your money on the AK or any other like firearm. As ghoffman said, you can't go wrong with an AR. I love my Bushmaster Varminter and it has a heavy fluted barrel and a fairly good trigger right out of the box. Mated to a good scope you will be very happy for less than $1500.
Posted on: 2008/12/30 14:21

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.