Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
288 user(s) are online (246 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

anesthes Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

I'm getting a used ZF6 shifter from a forum member.

My reverse lockout drives me nuts.

I think I'm going to cut this thing down by 1.3" and rethread it to a 3/8-16 so I can run a hurst knob and then put it back together without the reverse lockout block.

How do you guys think that will work?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/1/12 15:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I don't know why it wouldn't work. I think you lose the reverse lockout with the Hurst shifter.
Posted on: 2009/1/12 15:14

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

djxib Re: Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

The stock shifter has a true reverse lockout mechanism built into the base of the shifter and operated via a linkage to the lifting collar. I just looked at my old stock shifter and I dont see any reason why it cant physically be removed.

If you cut the shifter down you will get slightly shorter shifts than stock, but longer than the Hurst and much longer than the B&M.

Good luck!
Posted on: 2009/1/12 15:35

cuisinartvette Re: Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Theres a little set screw by the reverse lockout rng that gets removed to take the lockout off. Mine was boogered by someone else so it has to be drilled out to get off. Not sure what Im going to do with this.
Posted on: 2009/1/12 16:48

CentralCoaster Re: Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Shortening the top of the shifter will reduce throw a bit, but not as much as installing a Hurst, even if you cut it to the same height.

This is because the Hurst is longer below the pivot point, so the same amount of movement up top causes more movement in the trans than a stock shifter of the same height would.

BTW, I have a new and used stock ZF shifter if you're interested in either one for modifying of having a backup.

I like the reverse lockout, if only because it keeps you from getting lost when lazily going into 5th gear, and also makes 6th easier to find if you're skipping gears, such as 3rd to 6th, or 4th to 6th, which I do after goosing it up an offramp and then dropping into overdrive.

It would've also saved my trans from being destroyed when I let someone else drive it. It only gets in the way when using reverse.

Now I have the best of both worlds though, a Hurst with the the crash-thru reverse gate.

The screw holding the reverse lockout knob is a teeny little metric allen that strips out easily when overtightened.

Whatever you do, make sure to shim the plastic within the aluminum cradle where the shifter pivots, this is where most of the slop comes from.
Posted on: 2009/1/12 18:57

anesthes Re: Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Shortening the top of the shifter will reduce throw a bit, but not as much as installing a Hurst, even if you cut it to the same height.

This is because the Hurst is longer below the pivot point, so the same amount of movement up top causes more movement in the trans than a stock shifter of the same height would.

BTW, I have a new and used stock ZF shifter if you're interested in either one for modifying of having a backup.

I like the reverse lockout, if only because it keeps you from getting lost when lazily going into 5th gear, and also makes 6th easier to find if you're skipping gears, such as 3rd to 6th, or 4th to 6th, which I do after goosing it up an offramp and then dropping into overdrive.

It would've also saved my trans from being destroyed when I let someone else drive it. It only gets in the way when using reverse.

Now I have the best of both worlds though, a Hurst with the the crash-thru reverse gate.

The screw holding the reverse lockout knob is a teeny little metric allen that strips out easily when overtightened.

Whatever you do, make sure to shim the plastic within the aluminum cradle where the shifter pivots, this is where most of the slop comes from.

Hrmm.. Good info.. I actually bought a used shifter to modify. I wish I had known you had one.

My reverse lockout is a little messed up. if I put it in reverse, the lockout sticks and I have to wack it (the shifter) to get it to go back into neutral. It's going to break eventually.

If I remember, the whole assembly can be removed from the transmission and the shifter taken apart on the bench correct?

Mine has some slop for sure.

I have not driven the car in so long I forget where reverse is.. over and back or over and up?

What is a "crash thru reverse gate??" Is that what the '95+ had?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/1/12 23:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Crash through was on blue tags from mid 94 and on. Just means you have to push twice as hard to get into the reverse gate. So it won't go there by mistake..

If you crawl under the car, and use a coat hanger to hold the lower boot back, you can tap the pin out and remove the entire shifter assembly. Mine came out with a 3-lb sledge and a flat tipped punch without much effort, but Ron's was a bitch. The exhaust may be in the way of getting a straight shot at it. You might be able to avoid this by tieing the shifter to one side so you can wack it underneath from an angle.

There's no other way to remove just the stick or just part of it. Trust me, it seems possible when you look at it from inside the car, but it won't happen.

Reverse is to the right and down.

Or you could uh... fix the reverse lockout problem and make it work like it's supposed to.
Posted on: 2009/1/13 0:17

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Or you could uh... fix the reverse lockout problem and make it work like it's supposed to.

Perhaps. I suppose I could send the stick to zfdoc, I guess he makes the bottom longer and reduces the top to make it shift like a hurst and retains the reverse lockout.

If I take the entire shifter assembly out of a late 94 do I get the crash feature, or is there some differences on the trans as well? I have a black tag.

Thanks.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/1/13 1:38

pianoguy Re: Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2009/1/13 1:42

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

If I take the entire shifter assembly out of a late 94 do I get the crash feature, or is there some differences on the trans as well? I have a black tag.

Thanks.

-- Joe

Nope, crash-thru is internal to the trans.
Posted on: 2009/1/13 8:23

cuisinartvette Re: Shorten shifter, remove reverse lockout
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Talked to ZF Doc about it and he went in depth about how he converts his. They sound decent, wont be a Hurst but will be much much better than stock. I like the lockout feature fwiw.

Got a stock shifter laying on the bench taking up space....

Yes mine was a bear had to drill the pin out and make my own . Time eater like Kevin said but it was 100% worth it in the end, I couldnt get enough of driving the car afterwards.
Like anything else on a C4 you cuss and swear your way through it but afterwards you see it wasnt that bad. Or at least if you had to do another one you could in half the time.

[QUOTE]If I remember, the whole assembly can be removed from the transmission and the shifter taken apart on the bench correct?[/QUOTE]
Yup. If you stick it in a vise and take it apart remember the slot in the shifter faces the back of the car do you dont put it together backwards by accident, easy to do.
Posted on: 2009/1/13 9:16

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Talked to ZF Doc about it and he went in depth about how he converts his. They sound decent, wont be a Hurst but will be much much better than stock. I like the lockout feature fwiw.

Got a stock shifter laying on the bench taking up space....

Yes mine was a bear had to drill the pin out and make my own . Time eater like Kevin said but it was 100% worth it in the end, I couldnt get enough of driving the car afterwards.
Like anything else on a C4 you cuss and swear your way through it but afterwards you see it wasnt that bad. Or at least if you had to do another one you could in half the time.

Sounds good.

I'm in the middle of talking to contractors right now to build my new garage. I closed my race shop in may, so I went from having two 20x40 bays with lifts to having a gravel driveway.. not acceptable. All my tools are in storage, so I'm building a 24x24 shop here on my land with 10' ceilings for a single two post lift. The only down side is my old shop was cement walls so grinding/welding posed less of a fire risk than a wood-built structure.

I lost around $15,000 my last year of running the shop, about $12,000 the year before, and about $10,000 the year before and didn't own the building. It's going to cost me about $17,000 to build a garage on my land which I'll own forever and will be a 30 second walk from my house, vs a 20 minute drive into the city.

The first 7 years were good though.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/1/13 11:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.