Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
199 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C1
Abbreviation for the 1st generation of Corvettes built from 1953-1962....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Mulka 4+3 transmission issues
Guru Newb
Virginia
3 Posts

:banghead] [/font:912c107b68]
I purchased an '85 from a Chevy dealer in October. The vehicle has 43,000 miles on it. 3 days after I bought it, I brought it back to the dealer for fluid changes. (The fluid in the clutch and brake master cylinders were brownish in color.) The dealer bled the systems, as well as changed out the rest of the fluids in the car. Now the car won't go into gear when the engine temp reaches 200 degrees. The dealer replaced the slave and master cylinders, but the car has the same problem.

Any ideas why the car won't shift at operating temp? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted on: 2006/11/11 11:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

C44MEE RE:4+3 transmission issues
Guru Newb
13 Posts

It maybe in the computer it also the controls the trans but only the 2,3,4, .
did he change the filter? not just a flush . I hope I have helped. Good luck.
Posted on: 2006/11/25 2:08

Big_John RE:4+3 transmission issues
Guru Newb
32 Posts

By not going in to gear, do you mean that the clutch isn't disengaging enough to allow it? Or do you mean the trans won't shift?

If its the clutch, it sounds like there's still some issue with the hydraulics. Perhaps it wasn't bleed correctly. What does the dealer have to say?
Posted on: 2006/11/27 13:59

Mulka RE:4+3 transmission issues
Guru Newb
Virginia
3 Posts

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

The dealer has since towed the car to a Vette shop for proper diagnosis. The shop tech found that the clutch is in great shape, with no wear. It turns out that the car represents itself as a low mileage vehicle. The transmission is blown due to not having enough fluid in the overdrive unit. The overdrive unit only holds some 2 quarts, whereby if it gets low at all, it will burn up the bearing that separates the overdrive and the 4-speed. When the overdrive unit burned up, it took out the 4-speed as well.

I brought that explanation to the dealer and now I'm waiting on a response. Since they were the ones who neglected to fill the overdrive unit properly, they should be paying for the replacement. It's expensive too, looking at $3900 for a rebuilt 4+3, or $4400 for a 6-speed conversion. I'm opting for the 6-speed, but I'll have to see what the dealer is going to do now.

I'll post the results when I hear from the dealership.
Posted on: 2006/11/27 19:47

Oaklands RE:4+3 transmission issues
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

[quote]:banghead]

Ouch!! That is going to leave a mark.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:28

red_johnny RE:4+3 transmission issues
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

[quote]:banghead]Wow, you could buy a richmond 6 speed cheaper than that!
Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:38

CentralCoaster RE:4+3 transmission issues
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The 6-speed will be cheaper, new ones can still be had for around $1500, or used for $800. They age well. You'd then have to spend another $800 or so on clutch, driveshaft, slave cylinder, and some other misc parts. I have a list of all the part numbers you'd need.

If you do end up going back to the 4+3, I also have a 4-speed (no overdrive section though), if that helps.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 4:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

On second thought, I seriously doubt the 4-speed would get taken out by a bad overdrive.

They are pretty stout. The overdrive uses clutches in direct drive and overdrive, if these are toast I could see the unit freespinning even though the 4-speed is fine.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 4:57

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Also, if the overdrive runs low on fluid, the internal pressure switch will cut off and prevent overdrive from activating.

I'm not entirely sure that would hurt anything. The direct drive clutches would stay engaged, not much heat would get made, so no big need for atf to wet the clutches, and no hydraulic pressure would build up to ever cause the clutches to slip.

Something sounds fishy here. Maybe the overdrive was junk to begin with. The original units didn't last past the warranty period, but I don't think they ever had a recall, they should've. Maybe you got unlucky and got a car with the orignal overdrive in it.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 5:01

jhammons01 RE:4+3 transmission issues
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

C'mon CC you know this is the typical 4x3 scam from a "Vette" shop.

You don't take a 4x3 in that is running just fine, change the fluids and then both trannies are all the sudden junk.

OP, There is something fishy here, and I just hope the dealer and that shop work it out without involving you.

IF you want, CC know exactly the steps to accurately trouble shoot the 4x3. I'll bet you a donut it is something minor.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 5:06

Mulka RE:4+3 transmission issues
Guru Newb
Virginia
3 Posts

Hi All,

Great replies. This issue is now settled. I took it on the chin and bought the Richmond 6. I enjoy it a lot, although I never recovered from the pain of being taken at the dealer. I fought like hell, even opted for legal action, but ended up with a $500 comp and a middle finger on the way out the door.

I love the car though, and I've got a list a mile long for performance upgrades and interior. I guess you could chock this up to a learning experience. Thanks much for the technical input. Hopefully someone else with these issues will check the forum for help.

Mulka
Posted on: 2008/1/16 3:48

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Honestly, if you have the money you'll like that tranny much better.

I get sick of that push button Overdrive. It is a pain in the ass having to check the button all the time.....by that, I mean like after slowing down on the Freeway when you hit a traffic jam. Then you forget the button is pushed, you start grabbing gears and they seem way off....the damn button is pushed which basically makes 2 into 3rd and 3rd into 4th.......dumb as hell idea.
Posted on: 2008/1/16 6:10

pappyfreebird RE:4+3 transmission issues
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

or if your a fool like me (new to car) i keep rollin down the fuggan windows thinkin im hittin the od button whahahahaha
Posted on: 2008/1/16 14:07

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

no no, not the windows the Mirror adjust button.

That one kills me, I hit the button...Nothing happens.....I panic and start the OD diagnosis process......until I figure out what I have done...
Posted on: 2008/1/16 14:56

pappyfreebird RE:4+3 transmission issues
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

wahahahaha !!! yea ive freaked myself a couple times hitton wrong button!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/18 16:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.