Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
254 user(s) are online (189 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

parriedog49 NO Air Cond
Guru Newb
24 Posts

hello guys, starting a new project with my 85 c4. i no longer have an ECM (carb.383) after the swap my AC no longer works. i think i can get around the ecm but i cant find the AC relay. where should i look? i may have eleminated it from under the hood. i did ged rid of alot.
Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: NO Air Cond
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

wow... don't remember... wait for CentralCoaster.

Do you have the Helm Factory Service Manual? If not, you really need it... if so, it will have the schematic you need.
Posted on: 2009/7/30 10:48

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: NO Air Cond
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Hmm. I'll see if I can upload those pages for you. I don't know how the ecm integrates with it, but it's probably something really simple.
Posted on: 2009/7/30 14:49

Matatk Re: NO Air Cond
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Do you have the manual a/c programmer or the automatic (c68) because I believe that makes a difference.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think all 85s are manual.
Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:43

captmike13 Re: NO Air Cond
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Yes the 85's are manual. No climate control to deal with.
Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:49

captmike13@yahoo.com

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here's the pages from the electrical manual.

I didn't see any ecm connection whatsoever.

There's an output TO the ecm, but I believe that's only so the ecm can raise the idle.

Attach file:

pdf 1985 Corvette Electrical 8A (air conditioning).pdf Size: 982.02 KB; Hits: 198
Posted on: 2009/7/31 1:34

rayquayle Re: NO Air Cond
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Here's the pages from the electrical manual.

I didn't see any ecm connection whatsoever.

There's an output TO the ecm, but I believe that's only so the ecm can raise the idle.

Also it is used to turn on the Primary Fan.

Follow CC's schematics. I suspect when you say your A/C no longer works, it is because your Compressor is not running and not that the Blower doesn't run. You need to look at the the two switches on page 220 of CC's attachment. I suspect a loss of gas during your swap and the Pressure Cycling Switch is open. The Compressor will not engage if this switch isn't closed. Check the switch with an Ohm meter. To verify, you can jump the two pins of the connector momentarily to see if the Compressor engages.
Posted on: 2009/7/31 7:19
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

midlifecrisis Re: NO Air Cond
Guru Newb
Elkton, MD
4 Posts

Speaking from experience with my '95 C60 (manual A/C) this may differ greatly from your '85. But it's worth considering.

The schematics for both years show a rotary switch in the control head that controls on/off, fan, etc. But when my '95 ran the compressor all the time (even in the 'off' position) except when the temp dropped and the low pressure switch opened up, I decided to tear into the control head and examine the rotary switch.
Lo and behold, not a rotary switch but a bank of transistor logic. One was shorted, sending the 'ground' signal to the PCM (ECM in earlier models) and turning on the compressor all of the time. 79 cents at Radio Shack and it now turns the compressor on/off as it should.
Now the remainder of the '95 versus '85 circuits differ a lot; even the 'logic' is different (supplying 12v versus a ground signal and the PCM involved or not). So this may not be appropriate to your '95. But check the 12v signal from the control head. If it isn't there, you may have an open circuit transistor. OR a busted rotary switch.
If the 12v is there, it's likely the low pressure switch or low coolant, as described above.
Windy but hope this helps.
Posted on: 2009/7/31 11:23

rayquayle Re: NO Air Cond
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

midlifecrisis wrote:
Speaking from experience with my '95 C60 (manual A/C) this may differ greatly from your '85.

It does. The '85 has no A/C Clutch Relay controlled by the CCM. There is no ECM involvement with respect to A/C Clutch Engagement on the early C60 cars.

Quote:

midlifecrisis wrote:
But check the 12v signal from the control head. If it isn't there, you may have an open circuit transistor. OR a busted rotary switch.

Checking for 12v to Compressor Clutch is a good check, but we are still assuming that the OP's problem is with A/C Clutch engagement and not something else. He's not replied since the initial post, so we don't have any idea what "AC no longer works" actually involves. I made the assumption that since he had ripped out much under the hood and probably did an engine swap or at least a remove, rebuild, replace, that maybe something in the A/C lines was stressed and gas was lost, not allowing Clutch engagement. I know what ASSUMING can get you into, but with no other information to go on, I took a stab.
Posted on: 2009/7/31 15:06
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

BrianCunningham Re: NO Air Cond
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

midlifecrisis wrote:
Speaking from experience with my '95 C60 (manual A/C) this may differ greatly from your '85. But it's worth considering.

The schematics for both years show a rotary switch in the control head that controls on/off, fan, etc. But when my '95 ran the compressor all the time (even in the 'off' position) except when the temp dropped and the low pressure switch opened up, I decided to tear into the control head and examine the rotary switch.
Lo and behold, not a rotary switch but a bank of transistor logic. One was shorted, sending the 'ground' signal to the PCM (ECM in earlier models) and turning on the compressor all of the time. 79 cents at Radio Shack and it now turns the compressor on/off as it should.
Now the remainder of the '95 versus '85 circuits differ a lot; even the 'logic' is different (supplying 12v versus a ground signal and the PCM involved or not). So this may not be appropriate to your '95. But check the 12v signal from the control head. If it isn't there, you may have an open circuit transistor. OR a busted rotary switch.
If the 12v is there, it's likely the low pressure switch or low coolant, as described above.
Windy but hope this helps.

The AC is out on my '95

I wonder if I have a similar problem.
Posted on: 2009/7/31 15:15

parriedog49 Re: NO Air Cond
Guru Newb
24 Posts

SORRY FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO YOUR REPLYS SOONER. BEEN TAKING CARE OF A VERY SICK WIFE. THANK 4 ALL YOUR HELP, I WILL LOOK OVER SYSTEM AGAIN, IT IS CHARGED, NO 12 V. OR GROUND AT COMPRESSOR, BOTH CLUTCH WIRES ARE CONECTED TO MAIN ENG. HARNESS, I THOUGHT I MAY HAVE REMOVED AC CLUTCH RELAY WHEN I REMOVED FUEL INJ. HARNESS FAN IS WORKING, DONT SHIFT BETWEEN DEFROST, FLOOR AND DASH, MAY HAVE OVER LOOKED VAC. HOSE? MY HAYNES DONT HELP MUCH. I NEED A WIREING DIAG.OF THE SYSTEM
Posted on: 2009/8/2 14:37

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

parriedog49 wrote:
SORRY FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO YOUR REPLYS SOONER. BEEN TAKING CARE OF A VERY SICK WIFE. THANK 4 ALL YOUR HELP, I WILL LOOK OVER SYSTEM AGAIN, IT IS CHARGED, NO 12 V. OR GROUND AT COMPRESSOR, BOTH CLUTCH WIRES ARE CONECTED TO MAIN ENG. HARNESS, I THOUGHT I MAY HAVE REMOVED AC CLUTCH RELAY WHEN I REMOVED FUEL INJ. HARNESS FAN IS WORKING, DONT SHIFT BETWEEN DEFROST, FLOOR AND DASH, MAY HAVE OVER LOOKED VAC. HOSE? MY HAYNES DONT HELP MUCH. I NEED A WIREING DIAG.OF THE SYSTEM

You have one, it uploaded it in post #7.
Posted on: 2009/8/2 16:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.