Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
290 user(s) are online (260 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tobijohn Electric LT4
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

This might not be news to anyone but me but I thought it was pretty interesting. I remember this guy from the other place:

http://www.ndneyes.com/mo/index_files/Page379.htm

I should say former LT4....
Posted on: 2009/12/24 23:54

AIRFOIL FREE!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Electric LT4
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Very creative, but I seem to recall him having a maximum distance of somewhere between 20 and 30 miles. Yuck.

Again, very creative, but I wouldn't even be able to get to a car show on the other side of town and back on one charge.
Posted on: 2009/12/25 0:06

bogus Re: Electric LT4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It's an exersize in 1/4 mile times.

I suspect it will kick ass, really.
Posted on: 2009/12/25 19:27

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Electric LT4
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I think youll find its more an exercise in passing emissions, cause he was starting to have more and more issues getting the 396 to pass the test each year and got sick of it all. I remember reading the thread about it. No trouble passing now!!

On the lead acid batteries, he probably will only get about 30 miles, but he was or is going to put in Lithium batteries if he hasnt allready, which will lighten up the car, give it alot more range, and probably make it abit faster too.

He said the car was lighter after the change even with the lead acids in there, so with lithiums in there is should be really light for a C4.

I think there is a company called AMP that converts a Saturn of some sort, dont know alot about it, havent looked into it.

If you look into the Tesla Roadster Durango Boy, itll go about 240 miles or so on a charge, and its fast. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times ive driven more than 150 miles in day let alone 240!! Then if you put solar panels up on your roof, you pretty much power the car for nothing ( with the cost of fuel, the solar panels would pay for themselves reasonably quick... )

Not for everyone though.
Posted on: 2009/12/26 3:22

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:
If you look into the Tesla Roadster Durango Boy, itll go about 240 miles or so on a charge, and its fast. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times ive driven more than 150 miles in day let alone 240!! Then if you put solar panels up on your roof, you pretty much power the car for nothing ( with the cost of fuel, the solar panels would pay for themselves reasonably quick... )

Not for everyone though.

I remember the Tesla Roadster. A very impressive car. VERY expensive if I recall, and yes, very fast. Seems I remember it had a way of charging the batteries through the braking system so it could utilize the kinetic energy it created to it's advantage.
Posted on: 2009/12/26 4:13

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Electric LT4
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yeah mate it does, that is a pretty common sort of thing with dedicated electric vehicles, the GM EV1 also had that feature. Some electronic speed controllers on electric radio controlled cars have that too ( in this day and age they probably all do!! )

Very expensive indeed, no question about that, but VERY cheap to run, i cant see it being expensive to service, and performance is sort of inline with price for what you get i reckon, 0-60 in 3.9 seconds for the standard model and 3.7 for the sport is pretty respectable ;)

Mo has done a top job on that Corvette and a huge thumbs up to him!!
Posted on: 2009/12/26 8:40

Curtis1974 Re: Electric LT4
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I'd hate to have a leak and drive it threw a car wash!
Posted on: 2009/12/26 13:30

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

How much would it cost to replace the batteries?

On most of my battery powered items, after so many charges and discharges, the battery is junk and A-Won't hold a charge anymore, or B-the computerized charge level controller gets confused.

I just wonder, on an electric car, how long or how often would the batteries need to be replaced. Is there a disposal fee? Core charges on the higher tech batteries? How much for the new ones? Can they be installed by the owner or would it have to be regulated by dealerships that are certified...(Labor.)
Posted on: 2009/12/26 14:47

Mekanic Re: Electric LT4
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

loved the EV1, but you may want to think twice about the tesla..

Top+Gear++reviews+Tesla+Roadster
Posted on: 2009/12/26 15:08

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

bogus Re: Electric LT4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

a few things to consider:

Electric cars won't short in the rain... they can't. It's insane to think that the manufacturers, in this day and age, wouldn't isolate the electrics in such a way as to prevent that.

The LiPo battery is prone to exploding... at least the laptop variants. This has caused the TSA to put battery standards in place.

I haven't hard of the Tesla blowing up, but, no one has one yet!

Yes, the controlers do regenerative braking. It's not capturing the brake energy; it puts the motor into generator mode with emulates compression braking. The RC car speed controllers do the same thing, just on a grander scale.

Remember - electric motors put out full torque at 0 RPM. They hit like a ton of bricks!!!

The Tesla is a long wheelbase version of the Lotus Elise. The battery is behind the driver; keeping much of the weight inside the wheelbase.

As for driving that exceeds 150 miles, a study I read/heard about indicates that the average driver goes 30 miles a day. Don't bitch to me if you exceed that; I am talking averages. I only commute about 10 miles a day, total. I would be a great candidate for an electric.

Don't expect the batteries to short or explode on impact, either. I suspect there is a break-a-way kill switch that isolates the battery in impact. Remember, these cars must pass crash tests like everything else.

We forget that we drive with 15 gallons of gas, and there is a lot of fire potential there... (I know, liquid is reasonablly inert, but the vapour is released instantly).
Posted on: 2009/12/26 16:36

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BrianCunningham Re: Electric LT4
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

here's another

Posted on: 2010/1/25 21:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.