Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
310 user(s) are online (272 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

tobijohn Problems getting the new clutch slave installed
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Got the old one out and the new one connected to the line but how are you supposed to depress the pushrod enough to get the slave flange over the studs? There's very little room in there to get any muscle on it and the O2 sensor is right in the way of everything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Posted on: 2009/12/27 20:23

AIRFOIL FREE!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Jeffvette Re: Problems getting the new clutch slave installed
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Flange on the aftermarket is thicker than the original which causes one problem. You can either grind on the flange, or get new longer studs.

But, you can slid it in at an angle, just make sure you get the tip on the cup of the pivot arm and then use pressure to get it to seat.
Posted on: 2009/12/27 23:32

tobijohn Re: Problems getting the new clutch slave installed
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Flange on the aftermarket is thicker than the original which causes one problem. You can either grind on the flange, or get new longer studs.

But, you can slid it in at an angle, just make sure you get the tip on the cup of the pivot arm and then use pressure to get it to seat.

Thanks Jeff, the problem is it seems there's no room in there to get any leverage to put pressure on the slave and push it over those studs. Also, once you do manage to get it on, how do you keep pressed on long enough to get those nuts started. I'm sure this would be a lot easier on a lift...
Posted on: 2009/12/27 23:52

AIRFOIL FREE!

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

You should just be able to use your hands to compress it. Or just crack your bleeder valve open a smidge.
Posted on: 2009/12/28 0:38

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Thanks again Jeff, I'll give it a try first thing tomorrow AM...
Posted on: 2009/12/28 0:55

AIRFOIL FREE!

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

A couple quick questions:

The illustration in the FSM shows the bleeder valve on the side of the slave (90 degrees from the hose connector) however, both the old one and the new one are on the bottom of the slave (180 degrees). The instructions say to rotate the bleeder so that it's pointing up. There's no way that can be done given the length of the line.

Also, the FSM has you bleed the slave with it disconnected from the clutch housing. Someone at the other place (theadmiral94)stated:

"btw, the reason to NOT pressure bleed the slave before install is that it pushes the nose too far out, making it difficult to install, as well as pushing the piston into non-machined areas of the cylinder walls, often damaging the piston seals at the same time. Further, there is a plastic ring/retainer that is designed to limit the max travel of the piston-rod, which if pushed too far, can break that plastic retainer or worse -- push the piston and the rubber nose completely off (ask me how I know this).."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-te ... lutch-slave-cylinder.html (Post #4")

So how should it be done?
Posted on: 2009/12/28 2:41

AIRFOIL FREE!

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

I will do a manual bleed after installing and tightening down the lines. I put a wrench on the bleeder screw and leave it open (yes some fluid will drain out) but depress it against the oil pan or some other surface, then close the bleeder and then pull the slave off the object I was depressing it against. Then I just pump the hell out of the pedal.

Some people get all worked up on this shit. It's not hard.

You have dirty nasty fluid in there, undo the bleeder line, let it all run out. You want to get some new fluid in to flush out any impurities, water decomposed rubber, etc.
Posted on: 2009/12/28 3:01

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
I will do a manual bleed after installing and tightening down the lines. I put a wrench on the bleeder screw and leave it open (yes some fluid will drain out) but depress it against the oil pan or some other surface, then close the bleeder and then pull the slave off the object I was depressing it against. Then I just pump the hell out of the pedal.

Some people get all worked up on this shit. It's not hard.

You have dirty nasty fluid in there, undo the bleeder line, let it all run out. You want to get some new fluid in to flush out any impurities, water decomposed rubber, etc.

Got it, thanks again. AS for dirty nasty fluid, that leaked out long ago. It's been leaking so bad, I've been topping it off every ten miles or so. The old one looks to have been leaking both from the seal and the mandrel...
Posted on: 2009/12/28 3:57

AIRFOIL FREE!

CentralCoaster Re: Problems getting the new clutch slave installed
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have the stainless braided line and my fluid still turned black. I woulda thought the stainless line had a teflon hose in it. Although I haven't checked it since ditching the slave that had the aluminum piston corroding the steel cylinder. That coulda been it.

I stick a fender washer over the slave pushrod when bleeding, that makes it easy to compress by hand without looking for something to jab it into or crucifying my hand.
Posted on: 2009/12/28 18:04

CentralCoaster Re: Problems getting the new clutch slave installed
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:

"btw, the reason to NOT pressure bleed the slave before install is that it pushes the nose too far out, making it difficult to install, as well as pushing the piston into non-machined areas of the cylinder walls, often damaging the piston seals at the same time. Further, there is a plastic ring/retainer that is designed to limit the max travel of the piston-rod, which if pushed too far, can break that plastic retainer or worse -- push the piston and the rubber nose completely off (ask me how I know this).."

I agree with this to an extent. You can bleed it with the slave loose, but don't push the pedal too hard or yeah, that retainer clip will be gone.

I hate trying to pedal bleed it with the slave installed, because the pedal never gets stiff, it just moves against the pressure plate spring, so it's hard to tell when you've got the air out.
Posted on: 2009/12/28 18:07

BrianCunningham Re: Problems getting the new clutch slave installed
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

how about a plate with two bolts to keep it from popping out?
Posted on: 2009/12/28 18:09

Dads90 Re: Problems getting the new clutch slave installed
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

The bolts will extend out to compensate for the thicker slave housing. I just put a wrench on it and once it broke free I hand twisted it out. Removed the lower one completely and it makes it much easier install. Once it's hanging on the top bolt, just rethread the lower bolt.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 5:33

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

UPDATE

Well, I haven't been feeling too well lately and wrestling around under there on my back with no elbow room just was exacerbating the situation. So I had the car towed up to a neighborhood shop that rebuilt my Ranger's transmission.

It was just as I thought: it took more time to get the car up on the lift than it did to get the slave in. If you've got a little room to manuever, it'a cinch, thicker flange, OBDII O2 sensor in your way or not. As for bleeding, no problem there either. Didn't pre-bleed it before installing, just an initial gravity bleed, about ten minutes of me in the car on the lift pumping the clutch and the tech underneath working the bleeder valve (and occasionally getting on a step ladder to top off the reservoir) and the job was done. Free AAA tow, $20 tip to the tech and $50 shop charge and I was good to go. Learned a few things in the process and if/when I have to do it again, I'm pretty sure I could do it without the lift. Thanks again for all the help...
Posted on: 2009/12/31 18:42

AIRFOIL FREE!

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.