Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  St Louis
St Louis, MO, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant from 1954-1981.

Since 1981, Corvettes have been assembled in Bowling Green, KY.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

dan0617 Suggest me some rear shocks for drag racing.
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I am looking for a pair of rear shocks for a 1989 vert that would be good for drag racing and for street driving. Need a shock that will let the weight transfer well but will not allow any wheel hop. I have the stock spring, non FX3 suspension. I have old rusty Gabriel shocks on it now that appear to be 100 years old (see pics in my other thread) and am thinking I should upgrade. What are you drag racers running the stock rear running for shocks on the back???
Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Suggest me some rear shocks for drag racing.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

My QA1's are nice, since they are adjustable, and the adjuster are down where you can get at them.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:31

pr0zac Re: Suggest me some rear shocks for drag racing.
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

ha.. i saw that but didn't want to call you out. lol.. i can't really talk. i have the stock shocks on my car but as far as i can tell there is nothing wrong with them. but mine is a z51 so its like driving a early 80's chevy 1 ton. and the only time it weight transfers in on the spray
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:34

dan0617 Re: Suggest me some rear shocks for drag racing.
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Yeah, my front and rear shocks both look like that. They are actually Monroe shocks on the back, Gabriel's on the front. The back look the worst but there is no signs of leakage or anything and it hooks up good on launch so I didn't bother buying new ones. Still not sure if I'm going to or not. I might end up buying another pair of Monroe's or something affordable for now. I just don't want to have shocks that are so stiff they don't let the weight transfer back and then I lose my dead hook launch.
Posted on: 2010/2/5 22:57

BeachBum Re: Suggest me some rear shocks for drag racing.
Master Guru
751 Posts

Hi Dan,

I know some of my friends from the East Coast Corvette Challenge run QA1's and they are able to really get their suspension working well & consistent to the point they can hook-up with drag radials on some marginal tracks that I know my set-up would have no chance of running the number twice in a row on.

The racer who has won the points championship I think 3 times now (Ralph Savarese) runs them on his 10 second 406 85.... I always look at things like the results of successful racers, the results kind of speak for themselves.

I do not have them on my 85, but I will be putting them on before long.

good luck with whatever you choose !
Posted on: 2010/2/5 23:14

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Thanks for the info! I am prettymuch set on QA1's for the front. Just trying to decide what to do on the rears, if it is worth it for QA1's back there or if cheap normal shocks will be fine. Not sure which way I'll go yet, funding is tight right now so I have a little time to decide.
Posted on: 2010/2/5 23:34

BillH Re: Suggest me some rear shocks for drag racing.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

My $0.02, I haven' been heavily involved in drag racing since I was in High school. But I play with a lot of shocks.

I would think that you'd want the QA1s on the rear, that's what you really need to control. With an adjustable, you could dial in a lot of rebound. Once the car squats, rebould will hold it down longer and let the rear rise slower. You can adjust the bump to work on how fast the car squats and possibily use it to work out any tire hop if you have it.
The front is much less important. As long as you have decent shocks to keep it from bouncing around, you're OK.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 0:10

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

have you looked into tokicos?
Posted on: 2010/2/6 1:40

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
My $0.02, I haven' been heavily involved in drag racing since I was in High school. But I play with a lot of shocks.

I would think that you'd want the QA1s on the rear, that's what you really need to control. With an adjustable, you could dial in a lot of rebound. Once the car squats, rebould will hold it down longer and let the rear rise slower. You can adjust the bump to work on how fast the car squats and possibily use it to work out any tire hop if you have it.
The front is much less important. As long as you have decent shocks to keep it from bouncing around, you're OK.

That is the opposite of what I thought, keeping in mind my thoughts on shocks is very shallow. I have very little knowledge here.

I thought alot of rebound meant the shock would try to push the car up to soon. I was thinking I needed a very soft shock back there, something that would allow it to squat quickly and not rebound very quick. Guess I have alot to learn!

I had one person tell me a long time ago that rear shocks are more important than front in drag racing, other than he, and now you, everyone else has said the rear shocks are of little importance and the fronts are where it's at.

I have never had adjustable, or even good quality, shocks on anything I've ever had. I appreciate any knowledge you care to share!
Posted on: 2010/2/6 2:32

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

no I haven't. Don't remember ever hearing of them. I'll check them out.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 2:33

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

I have never had adjustable, or even good quality, shocks on anything I've ever had. I appreciate any knowledge you care to share!

Dan, a very short primer from a drag racing point of view on the rear shocks:

Bump is when the suspension (A arm) moves up (when the rear squats on launch.
Rebound is when the A arms move down ( when the car start moving forward and the rear starts to move up.

So: with an adjustable, you can taylor the rate that the rear squats on launch. Dialing in more bump forcewill make the rear squat slower.
Once the rear squats, you want to keep it there, IMO, so the more rebound force you dial in the slower the rear will rise up. As the rear rises, you're taking more weight off the rear so, making it rise up slower with more rebound dialed in will keep weight on the rear for a longer period of time.

Note; most of the above is not applicable for a road course.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 3:16

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Posted on: 2010/2/6 3:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

They're probably decent shocks, they're made by Hitachi.

There's also drag specific shocks made by Afco, QA1 and Strange Engineering but you really don't to run those on the street.

Tokicos are about $60 each for non adjustable. They don't offer adjustables for a C4.

If you're looking for both street and strip in one package, I'd just get a new set of KYBs or whatever.

On the Monroes, etc. I'll willing to bet $$$ that they will loose most of their performance by 10k miles.

Just to make you sick, well me sick, guys that I race with who run in the top 5 with me have their shocks rebuilt every 15 hours of track time (basically one season) at a cost of $165 per shock.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 3:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Yea, those are the ones I just looked at Josh.
Probably a decent shock.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 3:42

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

they are pretty popular with imports. i have used them on a honda accord about 10 years ago and they lasted the 50,000 miles i put on the car.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 5:17

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

Dan, a very short primer from a drag racing point of view on the rear shocks:

Bump is when the suspension (A arm) moves up (when the rear squats on launch.
Rebound is when the A arms move down ( when the car start moving forward and the rear starts to move up.

So: with an adjustable, you can taylor the rate that the rear squats on launch. Dialing in more bump forcewill make the rear squat slower.
Once the rear squats, you want to keep it there, IMO, so the more rebound force you dial in the slower the rear will rise up. As the rear rises, you're taking more weight off the rear so, making it rise up slower with more rebound dialed in will keep weight on the rear for a longer period of time.

Note; most of the above is not applicable for a road course.

I think I see what you are saying now. Once the initial weight starts coming off the rear of the car, if there isn't much rebound force dialed into the shock it will try to lift the rear tires up as the rear of the car lifts up.

So, I'd want little bump dialed in, so the weight of the car would go back quickly (transfer), then lots of rebound so the shocks kept the weight of the car pressing down on the rear tires. Is that right, or would I want lots of bump too??

I see there are single adjustable shocks and dual adjustable shocks. I'm assuming the single adjustable means as you adjust the bump up, the rebound force is lowered, and vice versa?

I also hear people saying they set the front shocks to 90/10 for drag racing, I'm guessing the bump is 90, where you push the front of the car up during launch, and the 10 is rebound. Is that right? Then I have friends that say just go with the softest setting possible on front shocks for drag, the weight of the car does the rest.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 16:11

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

I think I see what you are saying now. Once the initial weight starts coming off the rear of the car, if there isn't much rebound force dialed into the shock it will try to lift the rear tires up as the rear of the car lifts up.

So, I'd want little bump dialed in, so the weight of the car would go back quickly (transfer), then lots of rebound so the shocks kept the weight of the car pressing down on the rear tires. Is that right, or would I want lots of bump too??

I see there are single adjustable shocks and dual adjustable shocks. I'm assuming the single adjustable means as you adjust the bump up, the rebound force is lowered, and vice versa?

I also hear people saying they set the front shocks to 90/10 for drag racing, I'm guessing the bump is 90, where you push the front of the car up during launch, and the 10 is rebound. Is that right? Then I have friends that say just go with the softest setting possible on front shocks for drag, the weight of the car does the rest.

That's all pretty much correct,Dan, with the exception of the single adjustment. Singles most always only have a rebound adjustment (the most important one). Except for a few that have come out lately for roadcoursed. The singles that adjust both bump and rebound with one knob are worthless.

If you do decide to get adjustables, you may want to give Gary Hartman a call. He knows 100x mor about shocks than I do.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 16:21

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i haven't driven my car in a year or so but with my last engine even with the z51 suspension it would weight transfer on the nitrous and the front would rise about 2 inches in its travel. but that was basically it. i trapped 111.9 with a 1.9 60 foot n/a so they were pretty even. you seem to be getting it out of the hole pretty well so replacing the shock with whatever as long as its not too stiff should do the trick.

on my 94 trans am i ran stock springs and decarbon shocks in the rear and gabriel struts and knock off ebay ls1 ws6 springs on the front and that thing would just about pull a tire in an ice storm. that setup allowed the front to pop up with ease. i had about $200 invested in it total and the only reason it was that much is because the car was lowered and had to acquire the rear springs also. i know this example is apples to oranges but i learned from that its not all about expensive parts.
Posted on: 2010/2/6 19:03

Josh Re: Suggest me some rear shocks for drag racing.
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I have KYB's on my car. Cheap, and no problems from them. If you are hooking the car now, I wouldn't change a whole lot in an effort to get more hook that you don't need.

Jonecap has the same KYB's I do, and goes mid-low 1.5's in a stick shift car with them.
Posted on: 2010/2/16 16:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.