Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
195 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users
 Register To Post

astock165 Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

We're excited to announce that we now have the great pin top shock mount from our friends @ Hardbar USA. When we first saw this product we knew it would be a big hit and also knew it would go so well with our C4 rear suspension kit.

The C4 specific kit comes with the same pin top shock mount as used on the C5 & C6 and also includes two new stainless steel "eyeball" plates to replace the stock ones on the rear of your C4. These eyeball plates make the kit an entirely bolt in installation with no modifications necessary.

Swing by our website to check out what we have and browse our online store.
Posted on: 2010/2/26 3:32
www.banskimotorsports.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I read the page, but I don't really recall the difference between this and the stock setup (it was two years ago I changed shocks). What's the overall benefit for the street, or is it more for track use?

Glad to see you guys still support the C4 so much

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/2/26 3:40

astock165 Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

The benefit is that it allows the shock to pivot with almost no side loads on the pin top of the shock. The stock rubber or aftermarket urethane bushings need to be compressed for the shock to pivot, which puts a bending load on the pin top. This kit allows it the pin top to pivot almost effortlessly.

The benefits are for both street & track as any time you reduce the forces on the mounting portions of your suspension components the better those components will work to maximize your grip.

With corrosion resistant stainless steel and Delrin this kit needs no grease and will be quiet on the street and track.
Posted on: 2010/2/26 3:47

Aboatguy Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Does this work with FX3 shocks???

Is this just a replacement for the top shock mount?

Mike
Posted on: 2010/2/27 0:22

astock165 Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Does this work with FX3 shocks???

That's an interesting question as I have yet to see them on a car with the stock style FX3 shocks.

I will look into it and post what I find.

Would you be able to email me or post some pics of the tops of your FX3 shocks? Both front & rear?
Posted on: 2010/2/27 22:30

Aboatguy Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Senior Guru
498 Posts

I have a pair of rears on the shelf...would pics of fronts in the car be OK?
Posted on: 2010/2/27 23:22

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Fronts

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02186.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02187.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02188.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/2/27 23:37

Senior Guru
498 Posts

REAR

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02189.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02190.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02191.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/2/27 23:49

Senior Guru
498 Posts

I believe the answer is going to be a big old neqative...or NO!
My FX3 shocks are 12 MM at the location shown in the following picture:

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02192.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/2/28 0:06

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

From the pics you've posted the kit would mount properly where it needs to as the FX3 sensors are above the stock rubber bushings on both front & rear.

If the rod on your shock is 12 mm then you're correct in that the kit will not fit as it is specifically for a 10 mm shock rod. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it could not be modified to work for your application.

If you'd like to pursue this, contact me via email and we can discuss it further.
Posted on: 2010/2/28 17:19

Senior Guru
498 Posts

You have a PM.....

Mike
Posted on: 2010/2/28 20:21

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

In a discussion I've been having offline with Aboatguy I went back to find these videos that Hardbar made when they first released this product last summer. They'll clearly show some of the benefits of this product.

This video shows how a shock with a stock C6 rubber bushing on top and bottom reacts.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h28 ... ew¤t=rubbertest.flv

This video shows how adding only the top half of the mount cuts down on the "jumping" the shock does.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h28 ... ent=HardbarDelrintest.flv

Finally here is a video showing how easily the shock will pivot with this mount.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h28 ... view¤t=P7080015.flv
Posted on: 2010/3/1 18:36

Senior Guru
498 Posts

You have an order!

Mike
Posted on: 2010/3/1 23:57

CentralCoaster Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What is your opinion on the eyelet design for the 84-87 rear shock mounts?
Posted on: 2010/3/2 0:29

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
What is your opinion on the eyelet design for the 84-87 rear shock mounts?

I think it's a shortcoming just like any rubber or poly bushing as compared to a spherical type of bearing, and it's not limited to the rears of 84s to 87s. A similar eyelet design is on the bottom front of all C4s (IIRC) and the bottom of the rears on the 88s to 96s as well.

Unfortunately it's not an easy thing to address in an existing shock designed for that type of bushing. It's funny that you bring this up because I fell into a nice deal on some slightly used Bilstiens for my 93 and when I got them I wanted to retrofit the bottoms of all four with a spherical bearing. As I measured them up and was going through the design process I actually found that it was more trouble than I thought is was worth and have put the project aside.

My plan is to put them on my car with the Bilstien bushings in the bottom and the Delrin/SST pin top mounts.
Posted on: 2010/3/2 1:30

CentralCoaster Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I see your point on the eyelets in back, but in front there is only one axis of rotation for the control arm, so if the shock is perpendicular to the LCA pivot axis, eyelets would work top and bottom. I don't see where a spherical setup would help the geometry.

As for the materials... it seems like something like this could work. You could machine grooves in the eyelet to hold the snap rings in place or fabricate some other means of sandwiching or clamping it in there.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=61mco6
Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/3/2 17:37

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote: I see your point on the eyelets in back, but in front there is only one axis of rotation for the control arm, so if the shock is perpendicular to the LCA pivot axis, eyelets would work top and bottom. I don't see where a spherical setup would help the geometry.

Exactly right and all I really wanted to do was to be able to account for the fact that the shock will probably never be perfectly perpendicular to that axis in the real world. If I can easily account for some off axis deflection I like to.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:As for the materials... it seems like something like this could work. You could machine grooves in the eyelet to hold the snap rings in place or fabricate some other means of sandwiching or clamping it in there.

That's what I started working towards. I just found the eyelets on the front Bilstiens I have were sized such that the spherical bearing I ended up using was smaller than I wanted and the T-bar on the bottom would have been much smaller than I would have been comfortable with. The front shocks had a tapered cross section to its eyelet, complicating the bearing holders.

Below is what I started to develop but just didn't think it was worth the effort for a set of shocks I really only plan on using for a season or two until I can upgrade to Penskes with the spherical bearing bottom mount anyway.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 1:35

sidney004 Re: Banski MotorSports now has the Hardbar pintop shock mounts in a C4 specific kit
Guru Newb
Castro Valley, CA
15 Posts

Tom:
Is it compatible with the FX3 shocks?
Posted on: 2010/3/4 7:06

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

sidney004 wrote:
Tom:
Is it compatible with the FX3 shocks?

It's compatible in that the stock rubber bushings go in the same place on either non-adjustable or FX3 shocks. Many thanks to Aboatguy for posting the pics above of his FX3s.

The kit is currently designed specifically for a 10 mm shock shaft but should be relatively easy to modify for a slightly bigger shaft. I am actually working on getting that set up now and plan on modifying a kit for FX3s in the next couple of days.

When I get that finished I'll make sure to post updates to let everyone know.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 12:49

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Here's a little more info...the inside diameter of the metal sleeve inside the bushing is 12.7mm or .5 inches

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02195.jpg[/IMG]

and approximately 44.15 mm long

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02196.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/3/5 0:52

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

We just completed the first modification to fit an FX3 shock. Once we had a shock in hand it was a pretty simple mod so we will be offering an FX3 specific kit in addition to the kits for C4s with 10 mm shock rods.

Below is a pic of a rear FX3 equipped shock with the pin top mount in place.

Here is a pic of how the FX3 sensor fits nicely into a modified Stainless Steel cap:

Posted on: 2010/3/17 1:53

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Looks sweet...I bet there will be some installed pics soon...
Posted on: 2010/3/18 0:24

Senior Guru
498 Posts

They're here!!!They're here!!!

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/shocks/DSC02198.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/3/22 21:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.