Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT4
Engine used in 1996, all manual equipped cars came with this engine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Horsepower844182 Did a code check
Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Using the paper clip trick to get to diagnostic mode.

I only got on code "H63". I know the H stands for "History" (old) but what's the 36 for? It was in Module 9 if that's important.

My "Service ASR" light, "Service ABS" light, and "ABS Active" light are all lit right now (have been since I've bought the car). I know the ABS and ASR are tied into each other in a way but does my code have anything to do with the traction control?
Posted on: 2008/1/6 19:25

Stl94LT1 RE:Did a code check
Guru Newb
128 Posts

It's an "opti" code.

DTC #36: Distributor Ignition System High Pulse.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 19:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Horsepower844182 RE:Did a code check
Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Hmm Well for one, what's that mean lol and two, I don't think I've had any trouble with that

I figured if the lights were on, there would be a code to go with it. Where are my codes!? lol

My dad said he might have an OBDI scanner so I'm going to try that also tomorrow.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 20:10

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Did a code check
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
It's an "opti" code.

Errrm, no its NOT the optispark, module 9 has got nothing whatsoever to do with the engine management, have another read...

I dont have a service manual for a 92, so im not sure what that code is yet. If its in module 9 its got nothing to do with the distributor i know that much.

ABS/ASR is the antilock brakes and traction control.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 20:23

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
It's an "opti" code.

Errrm, no its NOT the optispark, module 9 has got nothing whatsoever to do with the engine management, have another read...

Actually, he was right, I have code "H63" not "H36" oops ::embarrassed::
Posted on: 2008/1/6 20:52

kentucky_vetter RE:Did a code check
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

This might be of some use to you ! http://www.corvettedoctor.com/1992_93_DTC_Codes.html
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:57

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

My Chilton's manual says "Code 63 - Oxygen Sensor (OS2), right side circuit open or Cruise system problem (speed error) or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor circuit out of range"
Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:01

CSS996 RE:Did a code check
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Totally unrelated, but DAMN that's a pretty Vette!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:05

CFI-EFI RE:Did a code check
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Burn the Chilton's manual. or use it for a wheel chock. The FSM will decipher the codes, and it provides a trouble shooting chart for locating the cause of the codes.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:33

bogus RE:Did a code check
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Or check this: C4 Guru - 1992/93: Reading CCM Codes

The H63 means "Valve Solenoid Circuit Error." Whatever that means.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 0:03

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

One question I had was I know the H means it's an "old" code. I was pretty sure I cleared it, drove around the block, and when I tried it again, it still showed up as an old code.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 0:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

"old" code is nebulous at best. Basically, it is a "stored" code. The only way you can get a C code is if you are watching it happen with a scan tool.

I will dig out my helm and check that code. Gimmie a bit, I have to run some errands.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 0:33

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Burn the Chilton's manual. or use it for a wheel chock. The FSM will decipher the codes, and it provides a trouble shooting chart for locating the cause of the codes.

RACE ON!!!

CFI-EFI say everything best no matter how he says it. The man is very rarely incorrect, and this instance is no different.

From what the code is, DTC 63 in module 9, which is as Bogus stated above, your going to require the REAL manual, which you can get from the link posted be CFI-EFI above, in order to have exactly what you need right there infront of you when you need it.

Clear those DTCs using the method here: http://www.c4guru.com/articles/CCMCodePull.pdf (page 11 i believe) and see what occurs. Check all the connections and have a bit of a play with the wiring and then start'er up and go for a drive, see if it all works or same DTC.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 7:14

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
This might be of some use to you ! http://www.corvettedoctor.com/1992_93_DTC_Codes.html

Wrong codes, wrong module.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 7:18

BillH RE:Did a code check
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

On the 92, almost everything will show up as an "H" except tha C12 (no codes). I think this happens when you shut off the key and any codes get stored.

In module 9, the H63 is Valve Solenoid Relay Fault ( Valve Solenoid Circuit Error on Andy's sheet, same thing).
Yep, looks like that will trigger the ASR/ABS lites.
When the ign is on, this realy provides voltage to activete the solenoids and provides a ground path for the "service abs" lamp.
Service ABS and service ASR lites will be on and a code 63 will be set when the Valve Solenoid relay voltage falls to less that 5 volts.

I'd first try and reset that code, go to 9.7 to reset, and see if it comes back and the lites go out.

If not, BURN the Chilton. The diagnosis is on page 5E1-82 in the real manual.

BTW, I want your wheels for my Black Rose.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 16:31

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Quote:
On the 92, almost everything will show up as an "H" except tha C12 (no codes). I think this happens when you shut off the key and any codes get stored.

In module 9, the H63 is Valve Solenoid Relay Fault ( Valve Solenoid Circuit Error on Andy's sheet, same thing).
When the ign is on, this realy provides voltage to activete the solenoids and provides a ground path for the "service abs" lamp.
Service ABS and service ASR lites will be on and a code 63 will be set when the Valve Solenoid relay voltage falls to less that 5 volts.

I'd first try and reset that code, go to 9.7 to reset, and see if it comes back and the lites go out.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I deleted the code the first time around, and the lights never went off. When I did the check again, the code either came back or was still there. Where is this Valve Solenoid at if I need to change it?
Posted on: 2008/1/7 21:41

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Where is this Valve Solenoid at if I need to change it?
You will never know if it is defective, unless you TEST it. Otherwise, all you are doing is throwing money and parts at the problem in hopes that the "shot gun" method will end up hitting something. A code identifies the circuit or sensor that sent a "bad" or out of parameter reading. It does not state the cause of that bad reading. After the code is identified, you must diagnose the cause of the code. Take an O2 for instance. If you get a code that reports a rich mixture, does that mean the O2 is bad? Or does it mean that because of some, yet to be discovered problem, that there really WAS a rich mixture. The same is true, especially, of codes pertaining to the EGR valve. Seldom, when there is an EGR code, is the EGR valve the cause. The [color=blue:fd6c2b9f79]FSM[/color:fd6c2b9f79] tells how to extract the codes, what circuit or device each code is related to, and most importantly, a trouble shooting chart to help you diagnose and track down the CAUSE of the problem, minimizing the expense of unneeded parts. The book isn't cheap, but depending on the job and the potential for false diagnoses, it can pay for itself in one job. Plus it has a lot of neat reading where you can learn a lot about how the systems in your car work.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/8 1:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Where is this Valve Solenoid at if I need to change it?
You will never know if it is defective, unless you TEST it. Otherwise, all you are doing is throwing money and parts at the problem in hopes that the "shot gun" method will end up hitting something. A code identifies the circuit or sensor that sent a "bad" or out of parameter reading. It does not state the cause of that bad reading. After the code is identified, you must diagnose the cause of the code. Take an O2 for instance. If you get a code that reports a rich mixture, does that mean the O2 is bad? Or does it mean that because of some, yet to be discovered problem, that there really WAS a rich mixture. The same is true, especially, of codes pertaining to the EGR valve. Seldom, when there is an EGR code, is the EGR valve the cause. The [color=blue:906514afca]FSM[/color:906514afca] tells how to extract the codes, what circuit or device each code is related to, and most importantly, a trouble shooting chart to help you diagnose and track down the CAUSE of the problem, minimizing the expense of unneeded parts. The book isn't cheap, but depending on the job and the potential for false diagnoses, it can pay for itself in one job. Plus it has a lot of neat reading where you can learn a lot about how the systems in your car work.

RACE ON!!!

Well Said
On thing I've over the years when purchasing a car/truck is add $100 to the money I'm planning to spend for the correct shop manual. And you get to keep them if you sell. I've got manuals and suppliments for 63,64,65, 6 & 7, 76 & 92 Vettes as well as a bunch of Chevy trucks.
Manuals are like tools, once you've got a good one, you can't figure how you lived without it.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 3:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I deleted the code the first time around, and the lights never went off. When I did the check again, the code either came back or was still there. Where is this Valve Solenoid at if I need to change it?

Like CFI said, you gotta test it. You can't do that without the manual and IF it's bad, you can't replace the unit without the manual.
I put my manuals back down in the shop and am feeling lazy right now. I'll try and check in the morning, it takea a while to find this chit in the manuals sometimes, the location isn't shown on the diagnosis page.
But, Im betting it's behind the driver's seat in the ABS compartment.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 4:04

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yep, youve gotta do all that, and id have to say, if the codes were cleared, when the vehicle is started the MIL lamps should all go out, including the ABS and ASR lamps until you reach the 3mph test, if they are not going out, id say youve got some sort of a short to ground in there, or other electrical issue.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 6:58

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Quote:
Yep, youve gotta do all that, and id have to say, if the codes were cleared, when the vehicle is started the MIL lamps should all go out, including the ABS and ASR lamps until you reach the 3mph test, if they are not going out, id say youve got some sort of a short to ground in there, or other electrical issue.

Couple of things:

1) I'm aware of the fact that there are a number of things that could cause the code to be thrown, but if I know where to look for the "valve solenoid" then I could maybe trace down a faulty wire or bad ground somewhere.

2) Maybe I'm not erasing the code the right way. I'm pretty sure I went to 9.7, got it to show three dashes, but then I turned the car off and pulled the paperclip out. Should I start the car after getting the dashes? Or what do you mean but "other electrical issue"?
Posted on: 2008/1/8 7:08

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

1: Its behind the driver seat in the rear compartment.

2: Just unplug the battery and leave it that way for a while, then come back, reconnect and test. The MILs should all light up on start up to show they are working, and they should then go out after 2-3 seconds.

3: If any of the MILs light up and dont go out when they vehicle is tunred on, youve got some sort of issue that the CCM can see wrong with module 9 before the car gets to the 3mph speed for the ABS self test. It should only be able to see wiring faults and/or comunication issues until the selftest.

4: Consider load testing the battery.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 8:12

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Couple of things:

1) I'm aware of the fact that there are a number of things that could cause the code to be thrown, but if I know where to look for the "valve solenoid" then I could maybe trace down a faulty wire or bad ground somewhere.

2) Maybe I'm not erasing the code the right way. I'm pretty sure I went to 9.7, got it to show three dashes, but then I turned the car off and pulled the paperclip out. Should I start the car after getting the dashes? Or what do you mean but "other electrical issue"?
1) Is the "valve solenoid" the next item to check in a logical scheme of diagnosis? The FSM not only provides a trouble shooting chart, it will likely reveal the location of the components in the system you are working on.

2) Erasing codes are covered in the FSM, also. I'm not familiar with your later computer, codes , and operation, so I can't post it.

You will find it is rather easy to waste money, making repairs, without the FSM.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/8 15:34

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Couple of things:

If you got 3 dashes in 9.7, you cleared it. If you leave the paperclip in and turn the key off, then back on. You should see C-12 first, then it will cycle thru 1.0, 4.0 and 9.0, and should show 3 dashes at each one.

I don't think starting the car is necessary for this particular problem.
Unhooking the battery probably won't change anything but it's worth a shot.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 18:08

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Quote:

If you got 3 dashes in 9.7, you cleared it. If you leave the paperclip in and turn the key off, then back on. You should see C-12 first, then it will cycle thru 1.0, 4.0 and 9.0, and should show 3 dashes at each one.

Yeah, that's what I got. I just don't remember the lights going off. But maybe they did, i'll try again in a little bit
Posted on: 2008/1/8 19:29

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

Starting the car wont do anything for it. C12 is only related to the CCM, its got no relation with the other 3 modules.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 1:47

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Starting the car wont do anything for it. C12 is only related to the CCM, its got no relation with the other 3 modules.

Hey Case, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. C12 is no codes stored in the CCM but if you have a code in any module the C12 won't show up.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 15:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

HP - Did you read the tech tip I posted? It has all of his outlined in it, as far as reading and resetting codes is concerned.

I need to get my 92 helm to get a feel for the problem you are having. Tonite, I hope, but more than likely tomorrow nite.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 15:26

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Hey Case, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. C12 is no codes stored in the CCM but if you have a code in any module the C12 won't show up.

It does on mine, C12 shows there is no DTCs present in the CCM module (module 1). The other modules are only displayed through the CCM (module 4 being ECM, module 9 being ASR/ABS, and module A being air bag).
Posted on: 2008/1/9 15:59

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

I got a friend that printed me out a few sheets on the code from something called "Alldata"? He works at a repair shop so I'm assuming that's what they use. It has a step by step check thing too so I'm going to try to give that a go when I get a chance, hopefully tomorrow.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 17:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

AllData is a tool used by shops. it's designed to allow independants to get factory support data. It's expensive as hell.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 20:28

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Quote:
AllData is a tool used by shops. it's designed to allow independants to get factory support data. It's expensive as hell.

Not if you know where to look ::shifty eyes::
Posted on: 2008/1/10 0:20

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

AllData is a "Chiltons" or "Haynes" type of service that shops subscribe to from Auto Zone. I haven't seen any of their trouble shooting charts, but just knowing the source makes me leery. Have you ever found an Auto Zone parts person that knew what they were talking about? I can see the economy for a shop. It would be impossible to keep a FSM for everything that might roll in off of the street. But for a hobbyist with only a couple of vehicles to be concerned with, why trust a second hand source of info?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/10 0:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

my experience with AllDAta is that they start from the FSM... scan in pages and stuff.

At least that what I have seen on the Corvette images I have observed.
Posted on: 2008/1/10 1:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

It does on mine, C12 shows there is no DTCs present in the CCM module (module 1). The other modules are only displayed through the CCM (module 4 being ECM, module 9 being ASR/ABS, and module A being air bag).

OK, agreed. I was confused when you said "other 3 modules" . If I get a C12 when the key is turned on and then go to 1.1 to display any errors, I get 3 dashes.
If any DTC's are present, they show at key on and then show up in the specific modlue as it cycles thru the 3, correct?
Posted on: 2008/1/10 15:30

lesfriendly Re: Did a code check
Guru Newb
3 Posts

codes 63 open loop 64 right bank lean what are the causes and what are the fixes?
Posted on: 2011/8/2 0:45

bogus Re: Did a code check
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Les,

Welcome!

What year? Mileage? Engine?

The codes change from year to year.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 1:10

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.