Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  St Louis
St Louis, MO, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant from 1954-1981.

Since 1981, Corvettes have been assembled in Bowling Green, KY.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Antenna mast on an 87
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

My antenna started clicking when it goes down. I have a new mast. The instructions from Mid-America say remove the bezel take the retaining nut off from the top, and replace. Seems to be impossible. The bezel doesn't come out. I pulled on it and the back of the car raised up. I didn't want to screw something up.

So, I figured I'd ask the gurus. How in the heck do you replace an antenna mast on these cars?
Posted on: 2010/3/25 0:12

bogus Re: Antenna mast on an 87
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

there should be a special socket that reaches in and gets the castle nut off.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 0:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Antenna mast on an 87
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Does the bezel lift out? That thing is on there tight. Is there a trick?
Posted on: 2010/3/25 0:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

if you loosen the bolt, it should come right out.

the mast will then come out when you turn on the radio.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 0:56

1Fast04Vert Re: Antenna mast on an 87
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

The antenna mast nut has to come off first. It has two little 'dimples' directly across from each other. The antenna mast socket slides down over the mast and will engage those two 'dimples' so you can unscrew the nut. After that turn on the radio while simultaneously pulling the mast and ribbon out.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 1:27

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

The Mid-America kit has a tool that is intended to loosen that castle nut. But, here's the problem, that black piece, the bezel, how does that come out?

It's what you see when the antenna is down. I don't know if it's rubber or bakelite. If it's rubber, it's hardened up over the years, but it's that black piece that hides everything else. How do you get that thing off?
Posted on: 2010/3/25 12:19

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
The Mid-America kit has a tool that is intended to loosen that castle nut. But, here's the problem, that black piece, the bezel, how does that come out?

It's what you see when the antenna is down. I don't know if it's rubber or bakelite. If it's rubber, it's hardened up over the years, but it's that black piece that hides everything else. How do you get that thing off?

You don't take that off. The mast slides up thru it.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 12:59

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:

I'm confused.
I thought the access to the castle nut was from the top of the car. If you're standing at the back of the car, looking down at the antenna hole, you can't access anything if you don't take off that black bezel?
Posted on: 2010/3/25 13:09

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

I'm confused.
I thought the access to the castle nut was from the top of the car. If you're standing at the back of the car, looking down at the antenna hole, you can't access anything if you don't take off that black bezel?

It is as simple as I described in #5 above. The only thing I did not say is that there is a collar on the mast that comes out with it. You have to transfer the collar from the old mast to the new one. I am also confused though as I am not familiar with a castle nut anywhere on the mast.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 13:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

can you post a picture of the antenna in the fender? I am wondering if you have an OEM antenna in there.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 14:34

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
can you post a picture of the antenna in the fender? I am wondering if you have an OEM antenna in there.

I think the confusion comes from where I'm trying to do this. I'm trying to accomplish the swap from the topside of the car. The goofy instructions say just pull the black bezel, then loosen a nut, and pull the antenna mast.

I haven't been working on the underside of the car, it seems that's the way to go?

I'll get pictures this weekend.
Posted on: 2010/3/26 13:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

nope, from the topside.

that's the way to do this...
Posted on: 2010/3/26 18:14

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Here's the picture, from the topside, that black thing, how do I get it off?

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/3/28 21:50

Matatk Re: Antenna mast on an 87
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Here's the picture, from the topside, that black thing, how do I get it off?

Resized Image

If it's the same as my 89, it's a rubber piece that is just compressed in there. It has a line-up tab on the underneath side. Should be able to gently pry it out.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/3/28 21:54

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

If it's the same as my 89, it's a rubber piece that is just compressed in there. It has a line-up tab on the underneath side. Should be able to gently pry it out.

Matthew

A screwdriver? I had a hook and was pulling on it, straight up, and the whole car was coming up, but the black thing didn't give. I was kind of afraid to really yank on it.
Posted on: 2010/3/28 21:58

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Weird, I can almost remove mine with my fingers. It's pliable rubber. I was gonna say pry up with something plastic but sturdy. If you're gonna pry I'd definitely tape it off and use some towels around the area just in case.
Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:05

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Weird, I can almost remove mine with my fingers. It's pliable rubber. I was gonna say pry up with something plastic but sturdy. If you're gonna pry I'd definitely tape it off and use some towels around the area just in case.

Mine isn't any kind of soft rubber. It feels more like the stuff the seat backs are made of.
Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:07

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Dale, it is hard to tell from the picture, other than that you are working at the right spot. Will the mast nut socket fit inside the bezel and contact the mast nut? That is what needs to happen.
Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:50

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Dale, it is hard to tell from the picture, other than that you are working at the right spot. Will the mast nut socket fit inside the bezel and contact the mast nut? That is what needs to happen.

No. The opening is only big enough for the antenna mast itself to fit though. I think Matt is right, the black thing has to come out, but it's not soft rubber. It's pretty rigid, and doesn't give.
Posted on: 2010/3/29 3:26

rayquayle Re: Antenna mast on an 87
Senior Guru
139 Posts

On the early C4s ('84-'87) the mast is not replaceable from the top as it is on the later ('88-'96) cars. The black bezel will not pop or pry out on these early cars. It is held in by threads and the bezel nut below the body panel. Dale, you'll have to remove the antenna assembly to replace your mast. Easiest method is to jack up driver side rear, remove wheel and inner fender. Should then be able to remove antenna and replace the mast on the bench.
Posted on: 2010/3/29 10:37
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

rayquayle wrote:
On the early C4s ('84-'87) the mast is not replaceable from the top as it is on the later ('88-'96) cars. The black bezel will not pop or pry out on these early cars. It is held in by threads and the bezel nut below the body panel. Dale, you'll have to remove the antenna assembly to replace your mast. Easiest method is to jack up driver side rear, remove wheel and inner fender. Should then be able to remove antenna and replace the mast on the bench.

Ray to the rescue! I'm glad someone has experience with an earlier one. That should get Dale on the right track. Now about those banksi pieces....

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/3/29 11:34

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

rayquayle wrote:

Thanks Ray!
Posted on: 2010/3/29 13:45

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Dale, sorry I was giving you some bad info. I even did a 'google' on changing an 87 mast and what I found was obviously wrong as well. Glad Ray was able to provide the correct way to fix it.
Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:59

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Dale, sorry I was giving you some bad info. I even did a 'google' on changing an 87 mast and what I found was obviously wrong as well. Glad Ray was able to provide the correct way to fix it.

No problem. You were trying to help, I appreciate it.
Posted on: 2010/3/29 19:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.