Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
235 user(s) are online (182 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird rear window tint
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

anybody do there own ? how ? and where buy it?
Posted on: 2008/1/12 1:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

red_johnny RE:rear window tint
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

You can buy it anywhere, even walmart. I will tell you this, its a two person job and you want to do it inside a garage. Make sure you have some soap water in a water bottle and buy the tint kit with the rubber squegee. Cut the tint to size using sizors on the outside of the window BEFORE removing the film on the other side. Other than that follow the directions to a T on the pack and make sure you have 2 people. Mine came out ok on the PS window but the other one is jacked a bit and the back window does not look good at all. I made the mistake of doing it myself and on a windy day
Posted on: 2008/1/12 2:48

CentralCoaster RE:rear window tint
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'll leave my back window to the pros, plus I want it to be done in 1 piece. I have to repair a few defroster grid lines first though. I might even damage some during tint removal, so I'll check it before doing new tint.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 3:14

C4DERF RE:rear window tint
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

I'm with CentralCoaster on letting ther pros do the work There is a fella who does tint work for several of the new car dealers in my area who removed the old tint from both door windows and the hatch then replaced the tint and did the hatch in one oiece. Total cost was one day at the dealer and $125.00 out of pocket. I thought that was a very good option. Almost a year later there are no bubbles or ripples in the hatch tint (nor the door windows) and the guy gave me a lifetime warranty on the tint film and his work.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 13:38

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

MK 82 RE:rear window tint
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

The pros do a much better job and use a higher quality film than that stuff from Auto Wherever.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 19:30

bogus RE:rear window tint
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had mine pro done about 7 years ago (March 2001, infact). He did the rear glass in one piece, IIRC. If not, he did a seam at the rear defroster.

Either way, the tint is only now beginning to peal at the strut bolts.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 19:45

pappyfreebird RE:rear window tint
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks guys ...looks like i pay a pro i rekon
Posted on: 2008/1/17 1:38

Agent86 RE:rear window tint
Guru Newb
15 Posts

I did the side glass, but left the rear for the pros's. First time, twisted tint at struts. Second time, twisted tint at struts.
Third time will be me bringing them the the hatch and I'll install it and the struts, weeks later.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 2:43

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Mine's also twisted there.

It would make sense to snug the strut in place, then carefully cut the tint with a razor blade, then reinstall struts. No?
Posted on: 2008/1/18 2:58

runner140 Re: rear window tint
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:
anybody do there own ? how ? and where buy it?

There is a pre-cut kit that is sold on eBay. It comes in several shades and is not all that expensive.. If you do it yourself, work in a cool place (a garage) and have plenty of beer on hand. :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/1/18 12:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've actually had trouble finding a shop that'll tint my side windows, since CA law only allows 70% there. So I may try those myself. If I do, I'll try and document it with pics.

The back window though, I can go as dark as I want legally, and since it's huge I'll at least pay a shop to do that. Obviously I won't go too low or it's hard to see when backing at night.

So I'll probably end up with 30% all around. Most people I've seen paid ~$200 to have their entire C4 tinted.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 18:34

Greg Window tint
Guru Newb
Corydon, IN
11 Posts

Had both side wondows done 2006. Cost 75.00 Rear window still good. Was done sometime before I bought car.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 4:46

Danspeed1 RE:rear window tint
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I was thinking of making this my new hobby if I am any good at it, so I have been doing alot of reading on it lately. Its absolutely NOT worth doing on a C4 Corvette. This is to be left to the pro's or those of us looking to become pro's (meaning doing it more than once). You can't just cut and slap tint on. The curvature of the rear window makes it a real bit*h to install, and it MUST be heat shrunk to the window. This cannot be dont with a hair dryer so you will need to buy a heat gun, which I have found (for a good quality one) isn't cheap. Also the tint at walmart is total JUNK. It is paper thin and dyed in some cases. Within months it will turn purple, peel, and look terrible. It is also harder to install because it cruples easily, and traps water and dust like no other. The most important part of tinting is using good quality tint. Its like building an engine you want to run on loads of nitrous and putting cast pistions in with a forged crank and forged rods... what do you think is going to happen? You will also need a couple of hard cards to get the water out.

For $99 - $150(tops) to get the 3 windows done, and have it done by a pro (who will have to fight with it), it doesn't pay to buy a heat gun, tools, liquid, and tint to do it yourself.

Dan
Posted on: 2008/1/22 6:18
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Z51 RE:rear window tint
Guru
OREGON
127 Posts

Quote:
I've actually had trouble finding a shop that'll tint my side windows, since CA law only allows 70% there. So I may try those myself. If I do, I'll try and document it with pics.

The back window though, I can go as dark as I want legally, and since it's huge I'll at least pay a shop to do that. Obviously I won't go too low or it's hard to see when backing at night.

So I'll probably end up with 30% all around. Most people I've seen paid ~$200 to have their entire C4 tinted.

thats what the shop said that i went to to do my truck windows, and it was because of the rear windows, but now that i bought a roadster, and well you can't really tine a vinyl window, i will have to have the side windows done
Posted on: 2008/1/24 0:46

94z07 RE:rear window tint
Guru
94 Posts

I'm not following the desire to have the rear be a single piece. My car had tint on the rear when I bought it and it's in two pieces. I didn't even know it was two pieces until years later one corner turned up. The corner that turned up is completely covered by the weather strip when the hatch is closed. The seam follows the one of the defroster lines and disapears. I cut the corner off with a razor blade to keep it from pulling and the rest of the tint still looks fine.

What am I missing?
Posted on: 2008/1/24 1:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.