Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
231 user(s) are online (196 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  St Louis
St Louis, MO, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant from 1954-1981.

Since 1981, Corvettes have been assembled in Bowling Green, KY.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Jakers NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Guru Newb
Georgia
14 Posts

Wasted a portion of my afternoon trying to bleed my New NAPA slave today. I tried it with the slave mounted on the bellhousing. It was still spitting air when I knocked off to eat dinner. Bleeder is on the bottom of the slave so I believe I have a air pocket in the slave. I have no pedal right now.

Put the wifee in the car pushing in the pedal and also tried a Mityvac. Neither was successful.

I am opening it up for tips and suggestions.
Posted on: 2010/6/20 3:43

bogus Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I used a mityvac, too, to draw the fluid down with. It took a couple of shots with fluid, then, be sure the bleed is tight and you should have pedal.
Posted on: 2010/6/20 4:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

movnviolation Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

When I replaced my clutch Master cylinder and slave, I had my neighbor in the car and I was under and all came out well. Good hard pedal. I keep hearing it can;t be done but lucky I guess!
Posted on: 2010/6/20 6:11

bogus Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the ZF hyrdaulics are really tempermental. I think I got lucky the last time I did it...
Posted on: 2010/6/20 7:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

vis_croceus Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

I know zero about a ZF clutch, but I've used pressure bleeding on brake systems that are known to be a PITA and it makes them a breeze.

Example:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/6/21 2:20

CentralCoaster Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

A phoenix tool would probably be the most surefire way.

How much room is in your engine bay? On my 85 I was able to bleed the system comfortably with the slave up next to the master, then snake it through with the line attached and install it.
Posted on: 2010/6/22 5:45

tobijohn Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
the ZF hyrdaulics are really tempermental. I think I got lucky the last time I did it...

When it came to the bleeding part, me too, I guess. Here's my experience:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=112261#forumpost112261

If you don't want to read through the entire thread, here's the pertinent part:

"..As for bleeding, no problem there either. Didn't pre-bleed it before installing, just an initial gravity bleed, about ten minutes of me in the car on the lift pumping the clutch and the tech underneath working the bleeder valve (and occasionally getting on a step ladder to top off the reservoir) and the job was done..."
Posted on: 2010/6/23 4:12

AIRFOIL FREE!

Josh Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

If you have a mighty vac, you can do it yourself. I've done 25 or more ZF hydraulic systems in this manner and never had an issue:

One hose on the mighty vac sucks, the other blows. Open the bleeder on the slave and attach the blowing hose to the bleeder. Stick the sucker end of the mighty vac in your brake/clutch fluid. Slowly pump the mighty vac.

You'll fill the system through the bleeder screw from the bottom up. The air wants to go to the top, trying to bleed it out the bottom makes no sense, why GM designed it that way is beyond me. It would be almost impossible to force an air bubble out the bottom of the slave.

If necessary, you can unbolt the slave and hold it in such a manner as to make the steel inlet tube the highest point. That way, as you pump fluid in the bleeder valve, all the air goes up and out the line.

Have someone watch the master so you don't over fill it and dump fluid all over everything. There's no need to pump the clutch to move the master or anything, the system will fill properly with no movement of the master cylinder.

Hopefully, that makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try again.
Posted on: 2010/6/23 23:31

Josh Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Also, it might not be worth it to you, but taking the slave apart and checking a few things is a good idea. You can check to make sure the seal is installed the right way. If you've done any reading on the hydraulic issues we have, you know that a good portion of the slaves out there had the seal installed backwards.

I've lost track of how many slave/master/clutch jobs I've done on various ZF6 C4's in the last few years, but it's more than 20. Out of all those slave cylinders, not one of them was clean inside the bore. There was always crap laying in the bore, just waiting to damage the seal.

I like to check the seal orientation, and clean the bore when I get a new slave. For awhile I was installing 2 star washers to hold the boot in place, but I kinda quit doing that. I check the masters as well, but they are much less problematic. Some of them still have the dirty bore, but it's more like 40% as opposed to the 100% rate the slave cylinders have.

Chances are you'll be fine without doing any of that, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Posted on: 2010/6/23 23:37

tpi421vett Re: NEED TIPS FOR BLEEDING ZF HYDRAULICS.
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

[quote]
Josh wrote:

If necessary, you can unbolt the slave and hold it in such a manner as to make the steel inlet tube the highest point. That way, as you pump fluid in the bleeder valve, all the air goes up and out the line.
quote]

I agree, you have to turn the thing upside down to get all the air out of it. Why didn't GM put the bleeder on the top?
Posted on: 2010/6/25 6:47
450ci now with AFR 235...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.