Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
232 user(s) are online (192 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Weavsvet Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Senior Guru
446 Posts

On a '96 LT1 A4 what controls this?

IOW, when I put the put the car in gear the idle does not seem to compensate for it being in gear. Is this something that is controlled in the PCM or is it handled by the IAC or what exactly? Thanks
Posted on: 2010/7/1 11:22
1996 Corvette Coupe,AFR 195 street Eliminators,Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake manifold,9.5" 2800 stall,TPIS LT headers,Bullet 226/230.565.565/111 lsa cam,1.7 Scorpion rr's,EWP, X Pipe, Stock Exhaust,Elec.Cutouts,Dana 44/3.45, Tune by Wester's Garage
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

flyboy Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The IAC motor is controlled by the ECM according to engine load and temp. My '91 would die when cold when put into gear and almost die when warm with my mail order chip. Now that the car has been tuned on site by an expert (not me) the transition is seamless.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 12:51

Steve40th Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

The ECM does tell the engine what rpm to idle at in gear, with and without AC too, as you can add rpm for ac.
What is it doing exactly?
Posted on: 2010/7/1 13:33

vetteoz Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
The ECM does tell the engine what rpm to idle at in gear,

There is a switch on the auto shifter that tells the PCM if car is in N/P.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 14:19

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I know within the transmission there is a switch that tells the ecm what gear it is in so the ecm will compensate. At least on my 93. Ask me how I know
Posted on: 2010/7/1 14:46

Woodstock Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

96 is always a tough case, but the earlier OBD1 softwares were giving you a desired idle speed and an actual engine speed, according to set ECM parameters.
Throttle body opening and IAC play the main role in control.

Quote:
My '91 would die when cold when put into gear and almost die when warm with my mail order chip. Now that the car has been tuned on site by an expert (not me) the transition is seamless.

@flyboy
Do you got a copy of the bin prior to the correction and now?
I am fighting with this problem on a friends 87 with stock torque converter, though. He's got an LT4 hotcam in his 383 stroked L98.
We are to a point where idle quality suffers by trying to correct this issue. A copy of the bin would be a big help. I might find similar values in the $6E hack.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 15:51

flyboy Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

Woodstock wrote:
96 is always a tough case, but the earlier OBD1 softwares were giving you a desired idle speed and an actual engine speed, according to set ECM parameters.
Throttle body opening and IAC play the main role in control.

Quote:
My '91 would die when cold when put into gear and almost die when warm with my mail order chip. Now that the car has been tuned on site by an expert (not me) the transition is seamless.

@flyboy
Do you got a copy of the bin prior to the correction and now?
I am fighting with this problem on a friends 87 with stock torque converter, though. He's got an LT4 hotcam in his 383 stroked L98.
We are to a point where idle quality suffers by trying to correct this issue. A copy of the bin would be a big help. I might find similar values in the $6E hack.

Sorry, no. The guy I paid to tune the computer did all that data stuff. It's greek to me.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 17:25

Weavsvet Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
The ECM does tell the engine what rpm to idle at in gear, with and without AC too, as you can add rpm for ac.
What is it doing exactly?

Ok, this sounds like my problem because when I turn the AC on it wants to die or search for it's idle also. It never seems to recover from the AC until the compressor cuts out.

When I put it in gear with my foot on the brake it's the same thing, it never recovers it's idle.

I was hoping there was a switch bad or something but I guess that's not the case. It sounds like a tuning issue.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 17:48
1996 Corvette Coupe,AFR 195 street Eliminators,Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake manifold,9.5" 2800 stall,TPIS LT headers,Bullet 226/230.565.565/111 lsa cam,1.7 Scorpion rr's,EWP, X Pipe, Stock Exhaust,Elec.Cutouts,Dana 44/3.45, Tune by Wester's Garage

Senior Guru
446 Posts

I did mention this to my tuner and he said he added 50 rpm to the in gear setting in the PCM but it ain't getting it. Just a pain to throw it in neutral at every stoplight.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 18:20

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Went to town a little while ago and paid attention this this idle issue. Seems it gets a lot better when the water temp gets to 170 or above. Still not the greatest idle but much improved over a cold start. By the time the temp gets to 190 it's even better but still not as good as it should be. You guys with a 111 lsa or in the range anyway,what is your normal idle at? He has mine at 850 I believe.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 20:33

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
Went to town a little while ago and paid attention this this idle issue. Seems it gets a lot better when the water temp gets to 170 or above. Still not the greatest idle but much improved over a cold start. By the time the temp gets to 190 it's even better but still not as good as it should be. You guys with a 111 lsa or in the range anyway,what is your normal idle at? He has mine at 850 I believe.

I hate to say it, but your idle problems are identical to ou mine when the IAC went out. You have a new one correct from early in your troubleshooting. The ECM only tells you what it wants the IAC to do, you will never know what it is doing. only what is being commanded.
Take IAC out, measure to ensure it is at the right setting as if it was a new install, then put it in, but dont connect it. Start car and see what happens. I bet the IAC is dead.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 21:19

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:

I hate to say it, but your idle problems are identical to ou mine when the IAC went out. You have a new one correct from early in your troubleshooting. The ECM only tells you what it wants the IAC to do, you will never know what it is doing. only what is being commanded.
Take IAC out, measure to ensure it is at the right setting as if it was a new install, then put it in, but dont connect it. Start car and see what happens. I bet the IAC is dead.

Ok, I'll see what happens. Thanks!
Posted on: 2010/7/1 21:37

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I have had a IAC that OHM'd good, and it was bad as the pintle was moved around by me. Not good so I must have broken the plastic gears. I am not sure how the 96 style IAC pintle is in there if it screws in or what, but, I think they are common across the board through GM. IE, if you have a 96 Camaro, Pontiac etc that has an IAC, I believe they are interchangeable to test them if yours OHMs good, but you may think it is bad.
Posted on: 2010/7/1 21:39

Aboatguy Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Mike

You may have to mechanically set your TB blade IOT get the IAC count low enough that it can compensate for the AC..

If you pull the IAC out of your TB and leave it plugged in and it moves when you turn the key on
its probably good....
(don't start it just turning the ignition on should make the IAC move "test")

....and setting the throttle blades correctly will probably fix your problem...

(It the throttle blades are too closed the IAC will not have enough range of motion left to keep the IDLE smooth in gear with the AC kicking... I know this from experience....)

Mike
Posted on: 2010/7/2 17:03

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Mike

You may have to mechanically set your TB blade IOT get the IAC count low enough that it can compensate for the AC..

If you pull the IAC out of your TB and leave it plugged in and it moves when you turn the key on
its probably good....

(It the throttle blades are too closed the IAC will not have enough range of motion left to keep the IDLE smooth in gear with the AC kicking... I know this from experience....)

Mike

I'm pretty sure the IAC is good. I can test it on the Tech1 I have. I've been playing with the blades readjusting the TPS voltage and then repeat that again. It's getting better every time.
Posted on: 2010/7/2 17:12

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

On your car tps voltage resets every time you start.
The blades should be opened a little. I drilled the center out, as I posted on the other thread, and I put the throttle blade a 1/4 turn past touching.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4 ... arizona-speed-marine.html
Posted on: 2010/7/2 17:41

Stl94LT1 Re: Idle rpm vs in gear idle rpm
Guru Newb
128 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
Ok, this sounds like my problem because when I turn the AC on it wants to die or search for it's idle also. It never seems to recover from the AC until the compressor cuts out.

There is a seperate tuning table for the IAC counts with the A/C on. The counts will be much higher.
Posted on: 2010/7/2 17:55

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

Stl94LT1 wrote:
Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:

There is a seperate tuning table for the IAC counts with the A/C on. The counts will be much higher.

I agree....however , if the TB is closed too much the IAC will have to open more IOT idle and then it may be maxed out with out enough headroom to IDLE with the AC on...

Mike
Posted on: 2010/7/2 18:22

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Mike

its probably good....

Mike

I'm pretty sure the IAC is good. I can test it on the Tech1 I have. I've been playing with the blades readjusting the TPS voltage and then repeat that again. It's getting better every time.
Steve's right the TPS will self adjust...and resetting the IAC is easy enough

Depress accelerator slightly
Start engine, then release accelerator pedal, run engine for 5 seconds
Turn ignition "OFF" for ten seconds
Restart engine and check for proper idle operation

(I try to get my counts between 30 and 40 at idle)
Posted on: 2010/7/2 18:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.