Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
294 user(s) are online (258 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

patgizz c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

did c6 fronts yesterday. quickly swapped the hose over to the new calipers to not lose fluid. made sure not to let the master get low and immediately cracked the bleeders to gravity fill the calipers.

i can not for the life of me get the air out of the system. we've done the traditional "pump it up and hold it while i work the bleeders" about 5 or 6 separate times(5-6x per wheel each time) and i've used the mityvac vacuum bleeder. i'm getting no air out now and i still have spongy pedal that gradually goes to the floor when i hold it. i cleaned everything and have no signs of leakage anywhere. nice and dry at the hose connections.

want to try my new brakes out but it's getting quite frustrating. i've run over a pint of fluid through the system trying to get the pedal feel back.
Posted on: 2010/7/3 19:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

How old is the master? I wonder if an internal seal has popped because of the bleeding.

Did you bench bleed the calipers? Were they loaded with fluid?
Posted on: 2010/7/3 20:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

patgizz Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

original master worked fine when i took the calipers off thursday. calipers were rebuilt and dry, i've never heard of bench bleeding calipers and never had issue with bleeding anything in the past including completely dry brand new systems.

my car looks like it can stop on a dime sitting in the driveway, but i didnt do it for looks. we're going to try to re-bleed tomorrow after letting it sit to hopefully get any air to rise to the top of the calipers. got another fresh quart of fluid, i ran out.

the c6 z51 brakes are freaking huge. if i can get the air out of the system i think i'll be able to put passengers through the windshield if they are annoying.

i've been scarce around here, my car was boned up most of last year, i only drove it once. the stupidram put the tv cable into a bind - crappy design - so i sold off my dream intake after it turned into nightmare. then the harness made some sparks and fried the pcm. at least my new setup pulls hard well beyond the original TPI intake, but it took a while to get it right after getting some supposedly good parts that ended up tampered with prior to acquisition.
Posted on: 2010/7/4 4:28

jhammons01 Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

5-6 times per wheel....but how many pumps....

Did you start at the Rear Right wheel and work your way closer i.e. RR, LR, RF and finally the left front.

When you check your brake are you doing it with the motor running? There is a Antilock computer that needs resetting sometimes.....maybe look into that.
Posted on: 2010/7/4 4:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

resetting the ABS computer? Since when?
Posted on: 2010/7/4 4:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

patgizz wrote:
original master worked fine when i took the calipers off thursday. calipers were rebuilt and dry, i've never heard of bench bleeding calipers and never had issue with bleeding anything in the past including completely dry brand new systems.

my car looks like it can stop on a dime sitting in the driveway, but i didnt do it for looks. we're going to try to re-bleed tomorrow after letting it sit to hopefully get any air to rise to the top of the calipers. got another fresh quart of fluid, i ran out.

the c6 z51 brakes are freaking huge. if i can get the air out of the system i think i'll be able to put passengers through the windshield if they are annoying.

i've been scarce around here, my car was boned up most of last year, i only drove it once. the stupidram put the tv cable into a bind - crappy design - so i sold off my dream intake after it turned into nightmare. then the harness made some sparks and fried the pcm. at least my new setup pulls hard well beyond the original TPI intake, but it took a while to get it right after getting some supposedly good parts that ended up tampered with prior to acquisition.

What wheel size are you running? Rotor size?
Posted on: 2010/7/4 4:56

Steve40th Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Randy at DRM recommened i raise the car, take all wheels off and let it gravity bleed with hoses into jars and master cylinder cap off, for a day. Check periodically to ensure master cylinder has enough fluid.
Then Rear Right wheel and work your way closer i.e. RR, LR, RF and finally the left front via pumping brake pedal.
Or take it to a shop a vacuum/pressure bleed them with their fancy tools.
Posted on: 2010/7/4 7:30

Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

13.4" z51 rotors/base c5 calipers/17" a molds. it did not bolt right on, the adapter brackets i had needed re-machined(poorly made?), and i had to do some rib removal on the calipers to clear with sufficient room for the stick on wheel weights. for anyone not as crazy as me i would say do not do this unless you get 18"+ wheels but i am not giving up my black GS wheels for anything.
Posted on: 2010/7/4 14:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That means, with a little love, they would fit under my 17" American Racing TTMs!
Posted on: 2010/7/4 16:54

Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

i'm leaning toward bleeding pushing the master too far and screwing something up now. i get no air out of anything at all 4 corners.

ordering a new master on monday.

rock auto has raybestos z51 rotors for $6x each.
Posted on: 2010/7/4 20:17

rklessdriver Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

patgizz-
I don't want to insult you but...

You do have the calipers on the correct sides? With the bleeders located at the highest point?
Posted on: 2010/7/4 23:35

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

CentralCoaster Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Beats me. After that amount of frustration, I'd get a positive pressure bleeder.
Posted on: 2010/7/5 6:51

Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

calipers are on right - been doing this stuff way too long to put the bleeders on the bottom

the vette stuff is tame compared to the depths i go into my stuff. trying to keep it as simple as possible and not mod too much.
Posted on: 2010/7/6 2:31

SpectatorRacing Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Are you sure there is a problem? Have you ran the car to build vacuum and then tried again?

If the pedal only "slowly" goes to the floor it doesn't sound like a big problem to me. We just put new calipers on my buddy's jeep last week. It took a lot but not an inordinate amount of bleeding to get a solid pedal, but if you keep pressure on it it eventually goes to the floor. It's one of those things that seems bad, but since we never try that when the system is working we don't realize that it does that anyway...there's flex in the brake lines, seals, etc.

I'd try it at slow speeds. You may not have as big a problem as you think.
Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:01

-js- Re: c6 brake swap - any bleeding tricks?
Guru Newb
12 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
That means, with a little love, they would fit under my 17" American Racing TTMs!

I have the fronts on mine. No problems with 17" ZR1 style wheels with spacer/adapter for the early C4s.
I used the base C6 rotor the cailper is the same. The bracket and rotor changes for the Z51 C6.

Oh and had zero issues with bleeding here.
Posted on: 2010/7/7 1:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.