Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
290 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 85 head lamp will not rotate.
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Ok gurus please help me out. Tonight when I turned my headlamps on the driverside would not flip. It is acting like it is stuck. I rotates about a 1/2 inch. I just ordered the FSM but in the mean time how hard is it to remove and inspect. What should I be looking for? Any help would be much appreciated. The other problem I have is I can't get it back into the carport due to the condition of my back yard. (can you say mud pit). So it may be a while before I can do things due to the rain we get here in the great NW.

Mike.

PS I"m posting here first for some help.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 4:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

81c3 RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

sounds like a classic case of worn out bushings. Theres plenty of info on how to do it. Do a search maybe. I did mine on my 89 coupe a few years back. Not a big deal & actually pretty fun.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 5:34

FATED RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

If its an original type headlight motor it does not have bushings like the 89. Does it continue to make noise but the headlight is not moving? Gear. If it is not making noise and just stops turning, could be armature.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 2:52

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

If its an original type headlight motor it does not have bushings like the 89. Does it continue to make noise but the headlight is not moving? Gear. If it is not making noise and just stops turning, could be armature.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 2:54

Agent86 RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Guru Newb
15 Posts

Posted on: 2008/1/18 2:54

CentralCoaster RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Are the housing screws backing out of the sides? Mine did this several times and they'd snag the hood on the way up. I tightened em back down with some locktite.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 2:59

Touringmike RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Quote:
Are the housing screws backing out of the sides? Mine did this several times and they'd snag the hood on the way up. I tightened em back down with some locktite.

Ouch. Had that happen to mine. Darn screw gouged the hood, on the way down (off)

One thing to check before you tear it apart. Make sure the motor connector didn't unsnap. The cable out of the headlight box/motor is about 2 ft long, and the connector is usually hiding deep in the wheel pan (or whatever you call the dead space area by the horn. Also had it happen with mine)
Posted on: 2008/1/18 3:23

captmike13 RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

They are original. No screws sticking out. I was able to open it by hand using the emergency procedure. There was no grinding noise. It would start to open and just stop. Thanks agen86 for the diagrams. I'll try to look into this this weekend if it isn't raining. I do appreciate the help.

Update. I just went out and plugged them back in. Now they are working good as new. Go figure. stubborn old broad she is. Well I can't get to mad at her she gives me plenty of fun.

Mike
Posted on: 2008/1/18 4:45

81c3 RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

Quote:

Didnt know that...thanks.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 13:52

jhammons01 RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:
Update. I just went out and plugged them back in. Now they are working good as new. Go figure. stubborn old broad she is. Well I can't get to mad at her she gives me plenty of fun.

So wait, they work fine now?

And before they would just stop rotating.....no grinding noise associated?

Voltage....had to be voltage or binding. The stop switch on these headlights basically is a Volt meter. When it senses a voltage spike from the light hitting the limiter it stops sending power to the motor. Yours had to be binding up or the switch is getting old or the connection was gummed up...
Posted on: 2008/1/18 19:45

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

I had a simular problem with a headlight motor that was a reproduction of the original. It would work for a while then quit. Moving it by hand would get it started again. I took it apart and found some kind of grease all over every thing so I cleaned it all out. That worked for couple of weeks. It did it again, cleaned it again, worked for a while, quit again, so on. Bought a rebuilt original. So far it works. The reproduction looks the same outside but not as heavy duty on the inside. If you just acquired your 85 might be something to look for.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 20:42

CentralCoaster RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Fixed it for you. Not sure if we give users the ability to delete posts, but we should.

That grease is needed for lube, or for the electrical insulation if it's near electrical connections. The factory dielectric grease is usually greenish. The factory black grease is usually concrete after 20 years.

If you remove it, replace it with fresh grease.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 21:38

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

This was white grease . Never heard of greasing an armature before
Posted on: 2008/1/19 4:09

captmike13 RE:85 head lamp will not rotate.
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep and eye on it and if it happens again I know I can come back to this post and reread.

Mike
Posted on: 2008/1/19 13:55

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

I guess I was not clear in my grease post. The brush armature area is where I cleaned the grease ou. I left grease on the gears and other moving parts but not the brushes and armature.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 1:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.