Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (194 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD She misses the Vette
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Since I got rid of the 87, my wife has asked me many times if I'm looking at Corvettes online. So, I finally asked her point blank, do you want me to get another? In her usual non comittal way, she says: "Sure, if you want." That's wife speak for yes. To be honest, I'm not sure if she wants me to get another because it keeps me out of other forms of trouble, of if she just likes the Vettes, (she prefers Mustangs, so it's not just Corvettes).

I'm not in a position to buy for a number of reasons, a wedding in June, (my daughter's), would be the prime reason. But, a year from this spring, God willing, I could see being in position to get another. Since this is "off season", and there isn't much to talk about anyway, I thought I'd post this up.

I'm a non mechanic, probably going to be looking to spend $15k - $20k, (less is better, but I don't want to repeat past mistakes). It's good to watch the market, keep current, know what's out there. Would you guys suggest a clean 96, or a 2000-2001 somewhere in that range?

I like the C4. I like driving something that's a little more unique than the C5 that everyone has. But, I don't have a lot of fault tolerance. I want a car that with the right maintenance can be trusted.

Interested in your thoughts.
Posted on: 2010/12/20 14:22

BillH Re: She misses the Vette
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

In that price range, Dale, I look for the best car you can find either way, C4,C5. And since you aren't in a hurry, I'd look at a lot of cars (I did with mine and it proved out by me not having to work on the car all the time).

I look for something with lower mileage as few owners as possible and someone who thought enough of the car to keep all the reciepts (even if it's the third owner).

I'd spend $1k or so more to buy from a private owner rather than a car lot.

If it's a C5, I wouldn't go older than a 2000.

IMO

Congrats BTW
Posted on: 2010/12/20 14:31

DaleD Re: She misses the Vette
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Thanks Bill.

Yeah, I've become aware that the 97-99 Vettes are much like the early C4s in terms of needing care and having bugs. I think for my price, a 2000-2001 should be possible.
Posted on: 2010/12/20 14:36

Ultraman Re: She misses the Vette
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14747 Posts

Dale that's called a green light where I come from. It's always good when everyone is on the same page. Every generation of cars has had improvements made to them. The C4 was a major change in engineering but a lot of the new computer aided systems were new and they can be a PIA to get working right sometimes. Thus the Guru support center.

The C5 IMO although I am not enamored by it's looks was another step forward and I think has a lot less nickle and dime stuff that can plague you. My friends who have C5's and C6' just drive them and hardly ever have a problem. Not saying they can't have.

I don't hang around in other forums much so I don't know if there is a lot of bitching and moaning about the C5 or 6 but I don't think so. Someday I may upgrade because I always have wanted to see what is new but I enjoy my C4 and have bonded with it and like working on it. The best thing is that at this time with kids in college it's what I can afford.
Posted on: 2010/12/20 14:41

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Thanks Bill.

Yeah, I've become aware that the 97-99 Vettes are much like the early C4s in terms of needing care and having bugs. I think for my price, a 2000-2001 should be possible.

Oh hell yea.
I was teaching at the racetrack this summer. I guy shows up with a 2002 Z06, mint condition, 34,000 miles.

I asked him how much he paid. $19,000
I almost refused to get in the car as his instructor.

Come to think of it, I'm still pissed.

That was a "Ya don't find a deal like this everyday." thing.
But he did say it took a while to find this deal.

I spent 2 months looking for my C4. Had it now 5 years and put in an Opti, an alternator and an oil pan gasket.
Posted on: 2010/12/20 14:46

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
The C5 IMO although I am not enamored by it's looks was another step forward and I think has a lot less nickle and dime stuff that can plague you. My friends who have C5's and C6' just drive them and hardly ever have a problem. Not saying they can't have.

I think that's probably true.

I know my 2000 Silverado at 135k miles has never been in a shop. I replaced one wheel bearing and 2 cats. Everything still works, uses no oil, etc.

When I finally get a C5/6 , I'm keeping the 92.
Posted on: 2010/12/20 14:52

WW7 Re: She misses the Vette
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

All I would need is for the wife to say that to me and I would be Corvette hunting real quick.There are some great deals to be had on cars right now, I have been looking on all the car sites for a C5 to add to the stable and $20,000 will get a nice low to medium milage car in a 2000- 2002 if you look around..Three examples below...WW

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp ... um_records=25&cardist=110

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp ... rdist=1074&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp ... rdist=2319&standard=false
Posted on: 2010/12/20 16:36

teebee Re: She misses the Vette
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

At first I wasn't sure about moving to the C5, but I'm glad that I did. $15-20K will get you a nice C5. Try it you'll like it. I wish that I could have afforded to keep the C4, but it just wasn't to be. The C5 is roomier (ie for traveling, packing, etc), more powerful than my 94, easier egress, better mileage and a much more smooth ride (the Z07 package was quite stiff). The things I don't/didn't like were the 'big butt', which I have gotten used to and the seats were not as comfortable as the sport seats in my 94, which I feel I have fixed with new seat foam and new seat covers.....more the foam, than the covers.

It sounds to me like you've been given the green light!
Posted on: 2010/12/20 17:23

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

bogus Re: She misses the Vette
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... Dale... a few minor recommendations:

1. Make damned sure the car meets your specifications, first and foremost. That was the biggest sin you committed when you got the 87. You wanted a 92+ with a 6spd, you got an 87 with an A4, that will lead to automatic disappointment.

2. Test many cars. Check many cars. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Visit Carlisle. Check Autotrader. Check Cars.com.

3. Don't limit your distance. If you find the perfect car in CA, then by all means, get it. Don't let the fact that it is 1500 miles away limit your decision making.

Finally, if you do find a Vette in SoCal, just say so, and I will check it out.

IMHO, as a daily driver, I would go 2000+. And drive the damned thing! Don't just save it for weekends or what not.
Posted on: 2010/12/20 18:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bobges Re: She misses the Vette
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

Let me know if you want to trade wifes
Posted on: 2010/12/21 0:32

DaleD Re: She misses the Vette
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Naw, that didn't work out well for these Yankee pitchers, (who ended up with the Indians!) See #6.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/baseball/shocking/moments.html
Posted on: 2010/12/21 16:12

WW7 Re: She misses the Vette
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

bobges wrote:
Let me know if you want to trade wifes

Hell yea, Id give him mine and some cash for one that says ( Why don't you buy another Corvette)... ..WW
Posted on: 2010/12/21 16:39

85RedSled Re: She misses the Vette
Guru
Jacksonville, FL
57 Posts

Just wait til the C5's and 6's are 20-25 years old, then the dollar and C-noting will start with them as well. Notice I didnt say nickle and diming. Hopefully in 15 years there will be enough LSx's to make the parts cheap as SBC's.
Posted on: 2011/4/3 18:01

bogus Re: She misses the Vette
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

LSx parts are already cheaper than Ford parts. There are a bunch out there and a very active performance crowd.
Posted on: 2011/4/3 20:51

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

j3studio Re: She misses the Vette
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
You wanted a 92+ with a 6spd, you got an 87 with an A4, that will lead to automatic disappointment.

Hah!

Posted on: 2011/4/3 22:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.