Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
298 user(s) are online (250 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TLS
Transverse Leaf Spring

A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it function...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users
 Register To Post

Ultraman Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Back in 1989 I was living in Kansas and had found a 63 roadster under a tree in a guys back yard. It was all there just wore out and as I later discovered a rotted frame.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Before and after, nice car one of only 400 with triple tan that year. 300 hp 4sp with tinted glass.

As happens when you get into a project and guys start dropping by to chat and look at what is going on, you start to hear Vette stories. You know the Big block that the guy died in and they were selling for $100 because they could't get the smell out of. I have heard those all my life along with WW II Harleys packed in cosmaline.

One day a guy stopped in and we talked about how I found my 63 and he said "you know I once heard of an old lady up by some little town that has a bunch of old Vettes just sitting around in her farm yard". I'm like yeah yeah, hand me that 1/2" would you. He said I will find out and call you.

About a week later he shows up and says, want to go for a little drive? I said sure what's up? He says, I think I know where those Vettes are at. Let me grab my coat says I. We drove about a half hour and then turned off on some back roads and finally came to this old run down looked like abandoned farm house and as we pulled in the drive I saw several old cars sitting around and over to the side a very rough looking 63 split window. Holy shit, I mumbled as I stumbled out of his pickup and ran up to the cars. No engine or tranny but it had a blue interior and it had no paint and had sat out so long that the fiberglass mat was starting to delaminate.

Along with that was a 62 roadster and a totaled 58 roadster and a 69 big block coupe. Unbelievable! On the way up my friend had told me this farm kid had a thing for Vettes and was collecting old ones and was going to restore them in his barn. He was in town drinking one night and took off in his 58 and somehow got it rolled over and it killed him and totaled the car. The 58 was there covered with black plastic.

It was then that an old woman came out on the porch and yelled at us to get away from her cars. We went over to talk to here and try to buy the cars. She was pissed and wouldn't have anything to do with us so after awhile we left and I went back to my project and pretty much forgot about it all.

Jump ahead 21 years I am in Kansas yesterday seeing my Mom on her 88 th birthday and after heading back I got to thinking about those cars and if I could find that old place. So I took off and started looking and after awhile I drove past it and then stopped and backed up. The drive in was snowy and grown over and I drove in and as I looked ahead I could make out the black tarped lumps with snow and junk laying over the cars. I jumped out and waded through the snow hoping that I would find that old 63 split under one of those piles. My hearts pumping and I'm trying to tear the plastic back far enough to see what cars were there.

Turns out the 58 was still there and the 69 big block but the 63 and 62 were gone. I looked in the sheds and old barn but didn't see much. I am standing there thinking about how to get the cover off that 69 to look at the engine when I hear, "Hey get away from those cars!" I look up and there at the back door of that delapidated abandoned old farm house stands that same old woman, only now she is ancient. Holy cow! I'm just staring at her, my mind is blank. My jaw has to be open about a foot.

You still live here? I ask incredulously. I start walking over to her real easy like so as not to scare her or get shot. I told her I was here 20 years ago looking at the Vettes, she is just staring at me. About now the Twilite Zone music is starting to play in my head. I'm thinking I should be getting back to the real world. What happened to the 63 and 62 I asked. Nothing for about 10 seconds then she says "I got family". Ok, do you want to sell the 69? Those cars arn't for sale she says. Ok, well good to see you again do you need anything? Food, is your heat on anything? No, gotta new TV, she says. Good, good, well gotta go nice to see you. I did not want to go in and see her new TV.

Long story but a true one here are some pics of the cars that I took with my blackberry yesterday.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/1/26 15:43

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

flyboy Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Wow!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 15:57

biggrizzly Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Oh my God... What a shame!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 15:58

TommyT-Bone Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Those cars are like a memorial of her family member to her. They are sacred. No money can pry the personal connection she has made with them. The persons spirit lives in that wreckage.

Good story.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 16:22

Ultraman Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

I think you are right Tommy! The kid died in 84 or 85 and they drug that 58 home and it has never moved since. I stopped down the road about a mile after I left her place and there was a farmer working on a corral fence. I started up a conversation about the price of corn and then asked him about the old woman. I am really wishing he doesn't say, what old woman, she has been gone for years!

Thankfully he said yeah, she never leaves the place and her daughter must bring her food. There is no indoor plumbing, so I am like how do you take a bath......and...never mind!

He did say that he thought she had a new TV though.

I'm thinking I should call the county and let them know what is going on there. Or not.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 16:37

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I'm thinking I should call the county and let them know what is going on there. Or not.

She's lived without the county for this long. Do you think the city slickers are really gonna help? They'll condemn the place, put her on assisted living and her life as she knows it and knew it will be lost. She'll have the comfort and convenience but her freedom and fortitude will suffer. She probably pumps the water, heats it, and takes warm water face cloth wash down every week or two. My grandma was 84 when she died and lived up on a mountain. They're survivors.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:03

bogus Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Perhaps the county should look into it. However, how old is "old"?

I would monitor and wait for the estate sale, which is inevitable.

My biggest fear would be a rotten frame, but that is replaceable. Being covered has protected some of the car, but with the C2 and C3, I worry about the birdcage... lots!

Another option is to befriend her, if possible, and offer to reveal the cars and inspect them for preservation. Not for sale, but preservation. She will think you are on her side. Present yourself as a Corvette fan and you already have one, and you so love the marque that you are willing to help her protect these for future generations.

She sounds like a classic hoarder, really. And that is one tough nut to crack. But if you play the car right, you can come in, spend a few afternoons getting the cars out of the holes they are in, lay down some plastic and set them on it, and recover them.

When done, provide her with a detailed list of what is and isn't wrong with them. At this point, you will know if it is worth pursuing any farther - ie, after death. Also make sure the daughter knows who you are, so you can be notified, on the off chance you are interested.

Remember, you would simply offer to preserve them. Not buy them. If she wants to broach that, let her, but you don't. It's the only way I know to deal with hoarders like this.

One final thought... document in absolute detail every aspect of each car. Get the detailed story of how and why they are there... details... more and details. Talk to the Mom, talk to the daughter. Learn about the prior owner. Find out what motivated him. If nothing else, you have the basis for a rather interesting book. The last chapter would be what became of the cars.

This had interesting story written all over it. And if you can fill in enough blanks, it could be really cool.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Huskerland
14746 Posts

I thought I would send her a note saying thanks and sorry I barged in on her. I could ask a few questions and see if she would write back. I will let her know that I would like to come back and see her this summer when I go see my mom again.

I really would like to document that 69. The 58 I think like Tommy says is a memorial. 20 years ago I was only looking at the C1's and C2's and only remember glancing at the 69.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:14

bogus Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Maybe they all are.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 19:19

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Andy may well be onto something with the hoarder idea. A hoarder places an emotional attachment on many of the things they save. Don't throw out that newspaper.... I want to remember what happened that day. The worst are the grocery savers. They keep cans that the expiration date was 7 years ago or even more. I know someone who has a packed freezer and never digs down past whats on top. The frozen goods in there were ancient. Do you know what got them to clean it? The freezer broke and everything thawed. They got a new freezer and it was full within a couple of months. I'm a semi hoarder. I keep way too much stuff. My wife does too. My sister has three warehouse full of crap and the house is stuffed. Alot of it is just junk. Sorry about the ramble.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 19:33

pianoguy Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Wow, that is amazing - who'da thunk it after all those years!

BTW that '63 of yours was a beauty!
Posted on: 2011/1/27 3:03

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Wow, that is amazing - who'da thunk it after all those years!

BTW that '63 of yours was a beauty!

I hung my head and cried when it drove out the driveway.
Had to have the cash, business to build and kids needed shoes.
Posted on: 2011/1/27 3:59

Matatk Re: Ultra's barn find, death Vettes and more!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Shoes are overrated.

Anyway, cool story. Too bad you couldn't get any closer on the those vettes....I'm sure you're not the only one who has tried in the last 30 or so years!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/28 3:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.