Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
171 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT4
Engine used in 1996, all manual equipped cars came with this engine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

VtVette "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Hi guys - opinion please:

I have a '93 vert "triple black" black/black/black 6 speed. I bought the car from the original owners son and although it has 95,000 miles now it is in excellent condition. I have all the parts to swap to C5 brakes this spring, Lloyd Elliot LE1 heads, I'm going to swap the cam out, roller rockers, put 4.11's in it and get a tune this spring. I may possibly add long tubes as well. Interior/exterior are fairly stock, double din touch screen stereo is the only modification inside (it will remain that way) and C5 replica wheels are the only exterior mod.

I've been prompted to put some work into the car this spring as I finally drove a C5 this past fall and have no interest in buying one. That means I will have the C4 for the foreseeable future.

I am likely going to replace the carpet this spring which is currently black. The car is and always will be a driver. While I have no delusions of collectability does being "triple black" make it any more desirable or is it just a catch phrase?

You guys thing changing the carpet to tan (complete carpet kit - dash, door panels, etc) would effect the value? My only concern is that I would not have the tan door panels of other C4s with tan /black interior.

Thanks for the opinions,
Posted on: 2011/1/29 2:15

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

My opinion is:

Do you really care about the future value? If so, keep the black parts in a box. I have a car that I have twice the value of it invested in...guess I didn't think that one through too well!

I think you should do what makes you happy....changing the color of carpet is minor to most, but might make a world of difference to you. Personally, I never want another vette that is black/black. Ask Jeff how he likes the carpet/color conversion he did on his Z.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/29 2:31

bogus Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

triple black is a catch phrase for black top, black paint and black interior. Big whoop.

My feeling with the C4 is unless it is one of the following:

Callaway
ZR1
Grand Sport
uber low mileage original in all respects

... have fun with it!

Do the tan carpet, it will lighten up the interior. Also, do the knee bolsters. I would also do the seats.

You can finish the carpeted bits in the doors in tan, too, and if you can find the, the door handle bezels in tan.

I have driven some C5's, and yea, I am impressed, but not enough to make me go out and buy one. I have just fixed a couple of bugs in my C4 and it is running GREAT, so why should I bitch, eh?

I wanna do the C5 brakes on mine, too... I am thinking of the carbon fibre thing for my dash panels, too.

Great to see you visiting again, Brian! Missed you around the place!
Posted on: 2011/1/29 3:15

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

VtVette Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Hey Bogus! Got your E-mail the other day thanks you very much. I tend to go in waves - sometimes I'm on the forums all the time, then I go for months without logging in at all. My car is in winter storage right now but, I am getting ready to hit it hard this spring - fresh paint, top, engine mod's, etc. I loved the C5 and it was "better" in every way over the C4 performance wise I won't lie but, I just love the look/feel/interior of my '93. I vacillated between C4/C5 and when a co-worker bought a Supercharged 2001 vert I finally had a chance to really drive one. Now I know I will keep the C4 for some time so, I'm putting a little time and money into her.

As I mentioned earlier I have no delusions of my car ever having any value as a "collector" or "classic" car. I was mainly curious about the term "triple black". I guess it's just that - a term, nothing less.

Biggest problem with black carpet: it gets to damn dirty with top down! Plus, it makes the interior a little claustrophobic to me. I figure tan carpet may brake it up a bit.

Thanks for the opinions. Always appreciate!
Posted on: 2011/1/29 3:25

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Excellent!

I know what you mean by "waves." But with a big project, getting input is always good.

Have you considered a blower?

I am sooo unsure which route I want to take. For CARB, the best route looks like a mild 383 and a blower. That would make gobs of power. Also thinking of doing an LSx conversion.

ARGH. Don't know... really don't know...
Posted on: 2011/1/29 3:49

CentralCoaster Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Triple black doesn't mean much IMO, but a good looking color combo does. Tan interior works well with most colors, black with some, red with basically nothing except a GS. Even that looks goofy as hell to any non-Corvette person.
Posted on: 2011/1/29 8:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Red interior only works right with black, white or silver paint.

For some reason, the European marques have successfully put red with blue, but the red they use is darker and more muted/matte. It looks lush, not cheesy.

Tan and Grey work with many colours, I agree. For some reason, tho, I think grey/black rose works better than tan/black rose; tho both are lovely and I wouldn't kick either to the curb.

Green/tan, red/tan, black/tan and blue/tan go like hand in glove. I love'm all. They each have their own signature.

now... white... I am a fan of contrast, so tan and grey are just blech... now, white/white does have a classiness you can't deny. The thing is, the C4 interior is pretty much 2 tone, so it matters not so much here.

Yellow, like white, does need contrast, so black would be best, in my opinion.

And with darks, I like the contrast to light interior.
Posted on: 2011/1/29 17:50

flyboy Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Triple black. There is something to be said for an all black car. Especially with chrome or black wheels.
Do you think tan carpet will hide the dirt better?
Posted on: 2011/1/29 18:52

85RedSled Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Guru
Jacksonville, FL
57 Posts

I think a dealer invented "triple black" so they could charge more money. Kinda like a realtor bragging the house is on a cul de sac which just means everybody turns around in front of your house.
Posted on: 2011/4/3 17:23

TommyT-Bone Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Triple black in Florida is a mobile roasting pan. My son wants to buy a black on black Sonata. I told him more than once. Black is hot, hot, hot. Love the look hate the heat.
Posted on: 2011/4/3 18:07

VetteMed Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Guru Newb
Alachua, FL
37 Posts

I had a triple black C5 vert, in South Florida, and it was miserable, to say the least. Even without the heat issues, it just seems a little monotonous, to me. Of course, what do I know... my ZR-1 is white on gray, and that was the only color combination I wanted!
Posted on: 2011/4/3 18:30

TommyT-Bone Re: "Tripple Black" make it any more desirable?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

VetteMed wrote:
I had a triple black C5 vert, in South Florida, and it was miserable, to say the least. Even without the heat issues, it just seems a little monotonous, to me. Of course, what do I know... my ZR-1 is white on gray, and that was the only color combination I wanted!

Yah! My 90 is White with a grey interior. Perfect Florida colors. People who think white on grey is blech are

............ nevermind ..........
Posted on: 2011/4/3 18:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.