Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
211 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Ultraman Performance Enhancer Questions
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14742 Posts

No not for me, for my car. I was reading the new Ecklers's C4 catalog and ran across a couple of items that I can't remember ever seeing mentioned on the Guru and wonder if anyone has had any expieriance with any of them.

One is the Throttle Performance Switch which is said to instantly improve throttle response and delivers max rate of fuel and timing advance. It plugs in line with the throttle position sensor.

The other one is the Air Intake Temp sensor relocating kit. This is supposed to dramatically improve performance by hanging the air temp sensor out in the cool air.

Also the ever present throttle body air foil that will add 11.8 hp and 12.5 ft'lbs of torque. TPiS has said that they came up with the air foil and have sold so many, no one even questions it's power adding abilities. Yet I know the Guru has said they don't work.

Just interested in what you guys think. I am always looking for performance adders.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 23:31

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

And here I thought you got one of those e-mails ;-)

I have no experience with any of those, but I have a feeling if they were any good, plenty of folks here would be using them.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 0:18

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

biggrizzly Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

None of these really work.

Found this...

Scroll down to where it says... Mods that don't work.
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... t_id=12748#forumpost12748
Posted on: 2011/2/22 0:58

bogus Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

snake oil. designed to separate you from your hard earned cash, whilst at the same time sounding feasible.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

josephf31 Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
No not for me, for my car. I was reading the new Ecklers's C4 catalog and ran across a couple of items that I can't remember ever seeing mentioned on the Guru and wonder if anyone has had any expieriance with any of them.

One is the Throttle Performance Switch which is said to instantly improve throttle response and delivers max rate of fuel and timing advance. It plugs in line with the throttle position sensor.

The other one is the Air Intake Temp sensor relocating kit. This is supposed to dramatically improve performance by hanging the air temp sensor out in the cool air.

Also the ever present throttle body air foil that will add 11.8 hp and 12.5 ft'lbs of torque. TPiS has said that they came up with the air foil and have sold so many, no one even questions it's power adding abilities. Yet I know the Guru has said they don't work.

Just interested in what you guys think. I am always looking for performance adders.

I am especially leery of the TB air foil; just imagine the major damage that would be caused if that one little screw holding on that big chunk of metal came loose, and your engine sucked in that hunk of steel (aluminum, whatever)?

The thought of that alone should be enough to make one run away screaming :-)
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:04

Ultraman Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Huskerland
14742 Posts

Oh man they are all three on there. I could remember the air foil but did not recognize what the others were when I visited that site as a new guy. Sorry to make you go over old ground.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:53

jonszr1 Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

the only one that i know work is the intake air temp works if you are drag racing as you wait sometimes with the engine running in the staging lanes as heat soak sets in . i had my scan tool on while waiting to stage and with it in the stk location the temps got to 170 in a hurry blew my mind so i moved mine out on the front bumper just ahead of the air entry for the radiator now it has never gotten higher than 5deg hotter than the outside temp on the airconditioner panel . for most driving though most of the time the temps were within 8-9 degrees of the panel in the car which. the computor on myze1s anyway dont do serious adjustments till it gets to 105 .my car at the strip now runs better with the water temp around 185 .but no longer do i lose 2-3tenths due to the air intake temp sensor .
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:50
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

the only one that i know work is the intake air temp works if you are drag racing as you wait sometimes with the engine running in the staging lanes as heat soak sets in . i had my scan tool on while waiting to stage and with it in the stk location the temps got to 170 in a hurry blew my mind so i moved mine out on the front bumper just ahead of the air entry for the radiator now it has never gotten higher than 5deg hotter than the outside temp on the airconditioner panel . for most driving though most of the time the temps were within 8-9 degrees of the panel in the car which. the computor on myze1s anyway dont do serious adjustments till it gets to 105 .my car at the strip now runs better with the water temp around 185 .but no longer do i lose 2-3tenths due to the air intake temp sensor .
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:51
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

pr0zac Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:

that isn't going to improve power by making the computer think that the burning hot air entering the engine is at a lower ambient temp. if its sensing cold air going in its going add more fuel then needed to the hot thin air its just going to make it run richer then it should. if the tune it right then this trick is not helping anything.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:44

spro2395 Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Guru Newb
11 Posts

Has anyone tested these mod's on the dyno or at the track? I love data!!!!!
Posted on: 2011/2/28 12:39

Ultraman Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Huskerland
14742 Posts

Quote:

spro2395 wrote:

It seems that the people selling them have only good results. I am sure that over the years enough folks have tried them on the dragstrip and such to not see enough difference to warrent the cost.
Posted on: 2011/2/28 16:54

CentralCoaster Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

spro2395 wrote:

I think even proposing to do a track test on these snake oil parts would hurt a tuner's credibility.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 0:39

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

Quote:

spro2395 wrote:
not knocking anyone but the mod that i stated earlier was good for 2 tenths and 1.5-6mph on my car vrs it being on the throttle body . the tune in my car was done by the best zr1 tuner on the planet bar none . corey henderson . and there is no way the incoming air ever hits 160,unless its 120 out maybe . the sensors gets false readings because of the heat on the metal of the throttle body.. .jmho and what i found out on the track. testing was done on the same day.i had a sensor in both locations and all i had to change between rounds. maybe its different for the standard motor but on the zr1 its a proven fact
Posted on: 2011/3/1 1:43

bogus Re: Performance Enhancer Questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ah, big difference with the ZR1. The intake temp sensor on the ZR1 is in the metal thing. And yes, it radiates heat.

On the L98 and LT1, it is already in the rubber. Not a heat soak issue.

Hence, a real waste of $$.

I will say this, in a modified environment, I suspect the airfoil does help, but not on an otherwise stock motor.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 2:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.