Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (212 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

autoxtraz C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Guru Newb
5 Posts

Hi all - got 1 1986/7 C4 with 4+3 Super T10 box - want to know hot to remove the cable that runns from tranny that has to be in reverse before ignition key can be removed - is there also a switch somewhere attached to the clutch or ? Seems like a pointless performance having to put into reverse all the time. All help appreciated. Jock
Posted on: 2011/4/14 20:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Jock,

Welcome aboard!

Curious, you have a UK email, how did you find us? What part of the UK are you from?

To answer your question, that cable runs from the shifter to the steering column. The easy solution is to remove the console cover and the cable is right there on the linkage, IIRC. Remove accordingly and test.

The problem should go away.
Posted on: 2011/4/14 22:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

autoxtraz Re: C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Guru Newb
5 Posts

Thanks for the reply - so removal requires no mods? What happens when clutch is depressed (no I dont mean see a shrink!) is there an over ride switch linked to clutch pedal that activates when in reverse and depressed?
Jock
Posted on: 2011/4/15 15:55

bogus Re: C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The cable, once disconnected, should disable it all. It's been a while since I was in one of those mechanisms, tho.

I would suggest you get a copy of the Helm Factory Service Manual. They are available on eBay these days. I don't think Helm prints them anymore.
Posted on: 2011/4/15 17:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

vetteoz Re: C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

autoxtraz wrote:
What happens when clutch is depressed

Switch on clutch pedal is seperate item requiring clutch to be down before engine can be cranked over

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u309/vetteoz/electrical/Starter-1.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2011/4/15 23:39

CentralCoaster Re: C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think you're getting some of the "safety" features mixed up...

There's a clutch safety switch... must have pedal down to turn ignition.

There's a reverse lockout... must lift to engage reverse.

There's an ignition lockout... must have car turned on in order to move shifter out of reverse.
Posted on: 2011/4/16 0:17

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Thanks guys - located in sunny Scotland - been with Yanks for years, currently got 99 Dodge Dakot R/T fully tuned and 1987 Vette Callaway TT - just trying to get it sorted - finished manual rod linkage mods today - world of difference, next new sump - must have been bumped of a spped bump when it was in London, then overhaul of power steering pump - which is p*ssing fluid all over the engine bay and down onto tranny etc. Finally new windlace/weatherseal kit and new carpets/panels etc. On the road just now but tranny was totally crap could harley get a gear - still managed a 176mph in it though.....not bad for an old beast like this.
Wanted to remove clutch start switch and mechanism that locks the key in barrel until tranny in reverse - seem totally pointless safety items.
Posted on: 2011/4/16 14:11

rayquayle Re: C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

autoxtraz wrote:
1987 Vette Callaway TT - just trying to get it sorted

Is this the silver gray Callaway that Keith Beschi has had up for sale for years?
Posted on: 2011/4/16 18:50
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Don't know how to take that question - Is that meant to be some sort of smart arse comment or a genuine ask?
Answer is simply NO! Belonged to a guy from London who owned it for 10 years until passed away.
The matching sister car you may be refering to may be the one advertised on EuroVette's site - this was was featured in the C4 Originallty Guide book under the plate 13 LUR - also owned orignally by Eurovette.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 15:14

captmike13 Re: C4 4+3 Tranny - how remove reverse/key lock cable
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

If need a manual here's Helms where to get one.

Welcome aboard.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 15:46

captmike13@yahoo.com

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

autoxtraz wrote:
Don't know how to take that question - Is that meant to be some sort of smart arse comment or a genuine ask?
Answer is simply NO! Belonged to a guy from London who owned it for 10 years until passed away.
The matching sister car you may be refering to may be the one advertised on EuroVette's site - this was was featured in the C4 Originallty Guide book under the plate 13 LUR - also owned orignally by Eurovette.

Uh, OK then. Not sure what you meant by smart arse comment. I've known Keith for many years and just wondered if this is the one he'd had for sale.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 21:39
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Just the way it was written - "up for sale for years?" sounds like a back handed comment. Anyway, Keith was the initial owner of this one, eventually ended up at Claremont then Romford. Just trying to restore the usual nasty interior/weatherseals/front airdam as the outside and mechanicals are all ok 'cept for the leaking p/s pump - £43 for a seal kit!! Impressive fuel consumption for motorway runs at 65/70mph - 23.4-26.7 mpg.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 8:10

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

autoxtraz wrote:
Just the way it was written - "up for sale for years?" sounds like a back handed comment. Anyway, Keith was the initial owner of this one, eventually ended up at Claremont then Romford. Just trying to restore the usual nasty interior/weatherseals/front airdam as the outside and mechanicals are all ok 'cept for the leaking p/s pump - £43 for a seal kit!! Impressive fuel consumption for motorway runs at 65/70mph - 23.4-26.7 mpg.

Please forgive me. Although I've lived in England for over 20 years, I'm still an American and haven't gotten all the lingo down. I'm not sure what "back handed comment" means, but Keith did have the car for sale for a long time. Nothing untoward implied. Could have been he was asking too much, could have been the people in the UK didn't appreciate the true value of the Callaway. I wasn't sure if Keith had sold other Callaway's or not, so was trying to make the distinction if he had. I'm just glad you didn't take exception to my "silver gray" comment! Best of luck with it, I've always been a huge fan of Callaway cars, but could never afford one.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 9:27
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.