Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
237 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TLS
Transverse Leaf Spring

A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it function...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Josh Finally put the big nitrous shot on the car
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I haven't been around much lately, but I thought I would share that I finally put some nitrous back on my car. For those that don't know, my car is a 1991 C4, M6, with a pretty basic 383 and some AFR heads. When I did the motor I did wider ring gaps and a bit more bearing clearance in anticipation of doing a big N20 shot, but I never got around to putting the jug on the car.

Well, I took it out tonight jetted for 200 HP. The car was reasonably strong on motor (414 RWHP, consistent 11.50's @ 122 N/A) but on 200 HP of dope it's pretty nasty.

Here's a couple pics I took before the test drive.

Resized Image

Resized Image

This silver 02 Z28 was hydro-locked a month or so ago by a co-worker of mine. Tired of hearing him bitch about his busted car, I drug the car to my garage and we pulled the engine. The motor is at the machine shop now, and should be ready to go back in the car any day now.

Resized Image

And here's my new ride. It's an 02 Trans-Am, WS6. Navy blue metallic outside, black interior, and a 6 speed. I love the vette, but I can't bring my Lady and my 15 month old daughter with me in the 2 seater. The T/A has 4 seats, Patriot heads, cam, SPEC clutch, 12 bolt solid axle, and a 125 shot of nitrous.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/9/3 4:41

Ultraman Re: Finally put the big nitrous shot on the car
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14756 Posts

Nice to see your post......looks good, let us know how it goes when you get some time sheets.
Posted on: 2011/9/3 15:11

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

rklessdriver Re: Finally put the big nitrous shot on the car
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

When you taking to the track again?

Evening weather will be optimal in a few more weeks.
Will
Posted on: 2011/9/3 17:56

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Josh Re: Finally put the big nitrous shot on the car
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I dunno man, we go almost every weekend with some car or another. I still have quite a bit to do before it's track ready with spray, but it'll happen before the end of the year.

I still need to get it on the dyno, figure out what kind of timing it will tolerate on the gas (right now, I'm 10 degrees less than my base tune), dial in the AFR, etc... I'm using hardware store tubing fittings on the end of the hard lines, and (big surprise) they leak a bit when I spray, so I'll have to order some AN hose ends and replace those. The kit isn't wired into the Mallory box, so there's no window switch right now and the only way I can pull timing is in the tune, so on motor it's down probably 30-40 HP, and there's a million other little things that need to happen before I can set the car on 'kill' and take it to the track. All that stuff takes time, and worse, money.

New pad, new garage, new Firebird, new daughter, etc... All that shit is expensive, and now my stupid ass wants to take the only paid for car I own, smack it with 250 HP of dope, and try to run the quarter in single digits. I should just put the car on the market and use the cash to pay bills, but fuck man... I really think the car has a 9 second pass in it on a 250 shot and the perfect run. I'd probably kill myself if I sold it and never even took my shot at single digit ET's.
Posted on: 2011/9/3 21:06

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

And when the Hell did you start trapping 127? That is STRONG for an NA C4, congrats!
Posted on: 2011/9/3 21:08

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
And when the Hell did you start trapping 127? That is STRONG for an NA C4, congrats!

Thanks man. I'm really happy with it so far.

Just working on my shift points a little at a time you know. The car is really sensitive to RPM - turning the motor a little harder really picked the car up. Plus 75-80 is a way better race track than Capital.

It'll be a whole new ball game next season after the changes I got planned and re-tune over this winter, and hopefully I'll get that 10sec 130mph slip.

I hear you about the time and $$$$.

We were able to go to Carlisle with the car this year - but I had to bow out of the LTX shootout this weekend in BG, because I learned I'm about to be laid off for 3 months...

F'n Govt. At any rate I'll now have the time to work on making the changes I've got sitting in boxes in the garage.

Take it easy man. It'll be freaking awesome to see you get it in the 9's
Will
Posted on: 2011/9/3 22:07

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Any plans to go with some gas on that thing? It would really scoot with another 150 HP, lol.

That's a wicked combo man, it's got to be making high 400's or maybe low 500's to see that kind of MPH. 100 more HP than CID is impressive fo' sho'. What kind of RPM is it capable of?

What tire are you on? What's the clutch/FW combination?

Mind sharing some of the details with me? PM is fine, or if you wanna brag, post it up!
Posted on: 2011/9/4 0:09

Matatk Re: Finally put the big nitrous shot on the car
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22806 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the results with the big shot!

I love the WS6. That's the exact car and color combo I'd have if I didn't have the vette. Very nice.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/9/4 14:06

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
Any plans to go with some gas on that thing? It would really scoot with another 150 HP, lol.

That's a wicked combo man, it's got to be making high 400's or maybe low 500's to see that kind of MPH. 100 more HP than CID is impressive fo' sho'. What kind of RPM is it capable of?

What tire are you on? What's the clutch/FW combination?

Mind sharing some of the details with me? PM is fine, or if you wanna brag, post it up!

I don't mind man.

I'd really like to put the gun to her. Espc now but that 44lb crankshaft and them ultra light weight rods wouldn't stand it.... Honestly I think I'm over HP on them now. I can't afford to hurt it again.

I have had it on a local dyno - but still no re-tune since we talked about all that stuff last year. It's really rich in the low and mid range and gradually getting really lean over 6500RPM. And your right on the money with the HP est.....

HP peaks right at 6800RPM and I've been turning it 7200RPM on the gear change when I'm really trying. Shoot man just playing it'll run 11.40-11.50's at 124-125mph turning it 6500RPM.

I think Ed set the revlimiter at 7400RPM. I've missed a gear or two and bounced it with no damage so far.

I'm on the 315/35R17 MT radial. I've got 7,000 miles on them and over 40 passes this year. Great tire. Next year I'm definatly going back with some new MT's.

It's got a SPEC Stage 3 and Fidanza Alum FW with a 4.11 rear gear. I talked to SPEC about putting a softer hitting clutch in the car but I don't know about their recomendation. I'd hate to spend the $$$ then have this SOB eat it alive. Rear end, stub axels and halfshafts are way easier to change than the clutch... LOL

After I upgrade some little stuff this winter I'm ging to have to do something with the tune. I don't know if I'll take it back to Ed or not. I found he is working for VA Speed now, not sure if they would even touch it.

Will
Posted on: 2011/9/4 15:30

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on the WS6.

Will-

Ya, getting a softer a clutch in the car would definitely help you get it off the line without destroying XXX in the rear. I have a dual friction Centerforce in mine and really like it. It handles the power well, and has some give to it. I'm on less tire than you (315 nittos) and attribute my ocassional 1.65 short time to the clutch.

Good luck with it Will. What's it going to take to get you to bring that thing down here and go with us to the track? That ten second slip is only a state away man!
Posted on: 2011/9/4 23:00

BrianCunningham Re: Finally put the big nitrous shot on the car
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Best of luck
Posted on: 2011/9/4 23:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.