Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
215 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

GRIS, more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Strick Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Is it easier to pull the engine by just disconnecting from the bell housing after supporting the trans? Or is it easier to just remove the trans then pull the motor?
Posted on: 2011/9/10 11:56

pianoguy Re: Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I left the trans in on supports when I pulled my engine. I used a TPIS Happy Hooker.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 14:41

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

rklessdriver Re: Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:
Is it easier to pull the engine by just disconnecting from the bell housing after supporting the trans? Or is it easier to just remove the trans then pull the motor?

IMO pull the tranny, bellhousing, clutch and FW off the engine before you remove it.

This way the engine can come out without taking the hood of the car. The motor mounts on the LTX are one stud thru the front K Member. Once the tranny and stuff is off the motor, it comes right up, take it up about 3ft (just so the oil pan will clear the inner fender) rotate the engine to the side (90* to the car) and roll it out the side of the engine bay over the front wheel well... very easy.

Will
Posted on: 2011/9/10 14:44

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I didn't have to remove the hood. But being able to pull the engine straight up without jockeying it around a bit would have been nice.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 15:04

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Strick Re: Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Thanks for the info. Who sells the Happy Hooker and how much is it? That 6 spd is one heavy puppy and not having to remove it would be nice. My clutch is in great shape along with the dual mass flywheel. I assume you guys removed the radiator to allow more room to move the motor.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 17:28

rklessdriver Re: Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:
I assume you guys removed the radiator to allow more room to move the motor.

No. I didn't touch the radiator or shroud.
Will
Posted on: 2011/9/10 18:19

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Here's the Happy Hooker, $54.95:

http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/67

It's a slick gizmo - you just unbolt the fuel rails and set them aside, then bolt the Happy Hooker to the top of the intake.

I didn't remove the radiator or shroud, either. I did remove the balancer pulley, though. I un-bolted the A/C compressor and tied it off to the side, and did the same with the P/S pump and reservoir so I didn't have to disconnect the lines.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 21:44

BillH Re: Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I've never used the hooker.

But for $20, you can get an engine leveler from HF that you can also use elsewhere.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 21:52

bam Re: Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:

Are you pulling the engine for a rebuild? If so what are you thinking in that direction? I will be pulling mine soon and need to do a rebuild and am trying to learn all I can before I start.
Posted on: 2011/9/11 14:36

Strick Re: Pulling the engine on a 92 LT1 6spd manual
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Quote:

Strick wrote:

Are you pulling the engine for a rebuild? If so what are you thinking in that direction? I will be pulling mine soon and need to do a rebuild and am trying to learn all I can before I start.

Here's my plan: I'm replacing the top end with a complete LT4 set up; heads, intake, and upgrading the opti to a 95 set up. I also would like to check out the bottom end as several guys have spun bearings doing this mod. I'm also going to use the GM Hot Cam as it is a proven set up. This plan is the results of desciding what I wanted out of the engine which is good drivablity with a little more fun in the fun pedal. I don't need the fastest Vette, but one with enough to keep up with the C5s in my club.

Here is another thread about my goals:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=15544&forum=1
Posted on: 2011/9/13 1:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.