Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

teebee, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jonszr1 Radiator fan options for more CFM
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

having a aluminum radiator in my callaway z ,i have the same problem with the air on . what we found out was the radiator is a lot denser than the factory and its really tough to get enough air to flow through it at slow speeds . add to that the condenser being hot and poof she gets hot . i want to explore some different fan setups that might flow more cfms, which is what i believe has to be done when upgrading to an aluminum radiator .they are thicker and have a much denser fin webbing. jmho
Posted on: 2012/7/4 4:31
Edited by Matatk on 2012/7/4 11:39:56
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I split this off from another topic because it deserved to have its own thread.

There is an upgraded fan that Dewitt's sells. I believe it is by spal. You might want to look into that.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/7/4 11:40

Churchkey Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Guru
69 Posts

Taurus - Lincoln Mark fans really move some air. Do not have a good link to post however Google will get you info on the fan.
Posted on: 2012/7/4 11:52

bogus Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If the Ford fans fit, I like that idea. If they were to fail, dollars to donuts tells me that NAPA would have them tomorrow.
Posted on: 2012/7/4 19:11

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

jonszr1 Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

cool idea i will have to ck them out thanx a bunch .
Posted on: 2012/7/5 2:19
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

383tpimachine Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

I have the Spal on my dewitts and the spal moves much more air than stock
Posted on: 2012/7/5 3:10

djxib Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

I'd like to upgrade my fans (same issue - denser 3-core radiator that cools instantly above 30mph but in traffic my fans are hopeless).

I do have an issue that the DeWitts upgrade requires the A/C dryer to be moved but my supercharger setup makes that very difficult. On my 92 the fans seem to be a direct bolt-on to the shroud, I wonder if there is a 'standard' size spal fan out there that is a simple bolt-on (and maybe wiring upgrade).

Posted on: 2012/7/5 11:44

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...

383tpimachine Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Quote:

djxib wrote:
I'd like to upgrade my fans (same issue - denser 3-core radiator that cools instantly above 30mph but in traffic my fans are hopeless).

I do have an issue that the DeWitts upgrade requires the A/C dryer to be moved but my supercharger setup makes that very difficult. On my 92 the fans seem to be a direct bolt-on to the shroud, I wonder if there is a 'standard' size spal fan out there that is a simple bolt-on (and maybe wiring upgrade).

What do you mean the dryer needs to be moved? In my 85 the condenser had to be changed out for a later unit as they are thinner but the rest was simple plug n play
Posted on: 2012/7/5 12:13

Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Quote:

383tpimachine wrote:
Quote:

djxib wrote:

What do you mean the dryer needs to be moved? In my 85 the condenser had to be changed out for a later unit as they are thinner but the rest was simple plug n play

On the 92 the dryer is bolted via a bracket to the top of the fan shroud on the passenger side. The secondary fan is fairly small (actually both fans are on the small side) and is mounted on the fan shroud lower down and under the A/C Dryer. The De-witts shroud/fan combo has larger diameter fans that means the dryer has to be moved.

So what I'm looking for is a fan upgrade that uses the existing shroud.
Posted on: 2012/7/5 14:53

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...

jonszr1 Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

what size are the stk fans on a 92 .?i have a buddy that could find out what might work for us .if someone gives me the size . i am in the hospital right now so i cant get the size on my cars .
Posted on: 2012/7/5 21:08

Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
what size are the stk fans on a 92 .?i have a buddy that could find out what might work for us .if someone gives me the size . i am in the hospital right now so i cant get the size on my cars .

Hi Jon - 'treatment mojo'

I'll measure the 92 fans sometime early next week and post them here.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 15:09

Vette91 Re: Radiator fan options for more CFM
Guru
Germany
70 Posts

I wired the two fans of my '91 together and am using a 16" SPAL at the front as 2nd fan ...

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/7/6 19:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.