Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
288 user(s) are online (246 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Shocks/alignment
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I bought new tires, I need an alignment. The shocks are an unknown age, not original, but not new. They are solid blue, some rust.

If I change the shocks, should I do it before an alignment? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I was going to wait on the shocks, but if I need to, I'll change them before the alignment.

I'm considering KYBs?
Posted on: 2008/2/18 19:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jhammons01 RE:Shocks/alignment
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

KYB Shock part numbers (at least for my '84 and I think it was '84-'87)

KG 5564
KG 4537

And depending on the place you order from, they can be had for less than $150 for all four.

George (949) 598-8285 Performance Center
Posted on: 2008/2/18 22:23

Z51L9889 RE:Shocks/alignment
Guru Newb
Dayton, OH
18 Posts

You may or may not need to align after installing shocks. If the current shocks are low gas pressure (i.e. twintubes) and you replace with high gas pressure (i.e monotubes) the ride height will change a little and you may need to adjust the alignment slightly. The same applies to the reverse case.

It's probably less hassle to go ahead and change the shocks now so you don't have to worry about it.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:30

skirlin RE:Shocks/alignment
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Great question. :me2: I am doing the same thing and was wondering that myself. Thanks. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/2/19 6:18

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

One thing I'd like you guys to look out for prior to buying Shocks.

Look at the other items in your suspension first. This includes Wheel Bearings, U-joints on the half shafts, Dog Bones on the rears, Front ball joints.

You can blame the shocks for a vibration etc, but understand, they are primarily responsible for pushing your tire down quickly on the pavement after a bump or a drop off.

So many other factors in there to look at, the bushings are nearing the 3 decade mark....surely most are failing at this point.

The Guy will align your car while you are there, and the alignment will be accurate...until you hit a bump and reposition something with those 30 year old dried out bushings.

I'm not saying anything other than just think about it before you throw good money away.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 17:34

DaleD RE:Shocks/alignment
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I'm not a mechanic, obviously. Think of the context here. I'm asking how to determine the viability of my shocks. Now, given that I am at that level, my ability to diagnose the rest of my suspension is suspect. That is one of the things I'm hoping to find with an alignment. I'm hoping I pick the right shop, and they'll give me an honest assesment of the condition of my suspension.

I just thought that shocks would be a good place to start.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 17:40

CentralCoaster RE:Shocks/alignment
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It would be better to change them first, because they are gas charged, and will try to effect the ride height.

BUT.. it's all sort of pointless if you're running on original bushings. Those things will fuse together and bind up, or just fall apart. Even if new gas shocks raised your ride height, the bushings might let it rise unevenly. Or they might loosen up 3 weeks after the shock install. They might crack loose while the car is on jackstands and find a new binding position...

And if you're gonna pull the bushings out, then you've got easy access to those old ball joints and tie rod ends. Anytime you change those you need an alignment...

And you see how suddenly you've got the entire car torn apart because you just had a leaky shock.

Anyways, put your new shocks on, hit some speed bumps, head to the alignment shop, and call it a day.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 18:31

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:
It would be better to change them first, because they are gas charged, and will try to effect the ride height.

BUT.. it's all sort of pointless if you're running on original bushings. Those things will fuse together and bind up, or just fall apart. Even if new gas shocks raised your ride height, the bushings might let it rise unevenly. Or they might loosen up 3 weeks after the shock install. They might crack loose while the car is on jackstands and find a new binding position...

And if you're gonna pull the bushings out, then you've got easy access to those old ball joints and tie rod ends. Anytime you change those you need an alignment...

And you see how suddenly you've got the entire car torn apart because you just had a leaky shock.

Anyways, put your new shocks on, hit some speed bumps, head to the alignment shop, and call it a day.

So you have a CCD camera somewhere in my garage???
Posted on: 2008/2/19 18:43

sprint7677 RE:Shocks/alignment
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Quote:

I don't think gas charged shocks will change the ride height or alignment, but the bushings, ball joints, rod ends, and wheel bearings will effect how good an alignment you will get. I hope you have a trust worthy mechanic
Posted on: 2008/2/22 3:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.