Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
329 user(s) are online (272 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Matatk C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

If some of you recall this thread Gas Pedal Mount, a company called Unique Cutting & Metal Works began producing replacement gas pedal brackets for our C4s. The original brackets are surprisingly made out of plastic and are known to break, especially if racing the car, etc. I have been in contact with the owner of Unique Cutting, Bill, in order to test out one of the new brackets. Bill is a top notch guy and the brackets are excellent quality. Bill includes a well detailed instruction sheet along with the bracket, but I figured I'd add a few pictures of my own.

To start with, there are three versions of the brackets:
Version 1 - 1984-1988 GM#10126447 (14053662 on bracket)
Version 2 - 1989-1991 GM#10066476 (14104715 on bracket)
Version 3 - 1992-1996 GM#12551528 (no id on bracket)

It is important to note that the brackets are not interchangeable. Bill states the pedal arms themselves have slight differences, as well, so these parts should not be interchanged, either.

Here are few pics of the actual brackets. Good quality cutting, welds, and finish work:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Here is a comparison to the stock bracket:

Resized Image

The measurements for all the critical areas are identical, and as you can see it has a heavier duty vertical mount.

Begin by removing the throttle cable from the throttle body in the engine bay. This will give you slack while working under the dash:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Next, remove the hush panel under the steering wheel. The panel is held in place by four 7mm screws near the front and a serrated disc that presses on to a stud towards the firewall. You will also need to disconnect the clip for the light.

Resized Image

Once that is out, you can see that the pedal assembly is held to the firewall with two studs (non-removable) and two nuts.

Resized Image

Remove the two 10mm nuts being careful not to drop them behind the carpet. If so, you'll be fishing them out with a magnet (ask me how I know ). Once the nuts are removed, you can pull the bracket away from the two studs. You should see this:

Resized Image

At the top of the pedal arm is a plastic retainer that holds the throttle cable. Use a pair of long handle needle nose pliers and carefully pinch the rear tabs to pop it out, then slide the pedal arm off. Here is a shot of the pedal arm top to show you how it goes:

Resized Image

The pedal arm is attached to the bracket with a tube that has two flared ends. (According to Bill, the V1 uses a solid pin). Bill recommends grinding the flared ends off and punching out the pin/tube. I clamped the assembly down and carefully used a 5/16 drill bit to cut off the flared end. Just take caution not to drill into/through the pedal arm.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Once the pin is out, you can clean the arm of any debris and install the new bracket. You should do this on the bench, before you install it in the car. Lightly lubricate the new clevis pin and mount. Verify that there is no binding.

Resized Image

Put the pedal assembly back in the car and reattach the throttle cable retainer first. Once clipped in, install the two supplied spacers on the firewall studs and push the pedal bracket back on. The insulation around the install area of the firewall may get in the way, so be sure this doesn't interfere with seating the bracket correctly. Reinstall the two 10mm nuts and tighten them down. Be careful not to overtighten them. The FSM calls for 7-10 nM (about 5-7 ft lbs). I'm sure that was due to the previous plastic bracket, but don't be heavy handed.

Resized Image

Your install should look like this:

Resized Image

Reconnect the throttle cable linkage to the throttle body. Verify that everything is operating smoothly. Enjoy your new, stronger throttle bracket!

Part of my installation was also testing the bracket for operation. I used a Tech 1A to monitor TPS voltage for the different brackets.
Stock bracket TPS at rest .54v, full throttle 4.60v
New bracket V2 TPS at rest .54v, full throttle 4.60v

The new bracket was very smooth and performed identically to the stock one in terms of feel and function. I think this is a worthwhile upgrade for anyone who participates in motorsports with their C4 and is a great replacement both for broken stock brackets and for preventative maintenance (like mine).

Bill can be contacted here on the forum under his screenname redlite32 or his website http://www.uniquecutting.com/

Thanks to everyone for looking,

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/11/1 19:47
Edited by Matatk on 2012/11/4 18:44:09
Edited by Matatk on 2012/11/4 18:48:37

bogus Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree. As these cars age, the mount becomes more and more suspect.

The V1 is the worst for breaking, but they all can... and as mileage rises, heat and cold cycles... the plastic becomes brittle and will, at some point, break.

I would rather replace the bracket before that happens!

Posted on: 2012/11/2 13:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Looks great, gonna add that to my to-do list!
Posted on: 2012/11/3 0:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

LD85 Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Nice work Matthew, Bill's work is 1st Class
Posted on: 2012/11/3 15:34

joeld Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Just curious, did your plastic mount show any signs of stress cracks or obvious wear problems?

Joel
Posted on: 2012/11/4 2:48

Matatk Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
Just curious, did your plastic mount show any signs of stress cracks or obvious wear problems?

Joel

None that I could visibly see.
Posted on: 2012/11/4 13:41

joeld Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Thanks Mat.
Nice write up.

Joel
Posted on: 2012/11/4 14:15

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
Thanks Mat.
Nice write up.

Joel

Thanks.

I added a few more pictures to the first post.

Joel, if you look at the third picture I have comparing the stock and new bracket, you can see my stock one appears in good shape. But obviously this part breaks (as evidenced by other posts on the forums) and the only way to replace it other than Bill's aftermarket part is to buy a used pedal assembly from a corvette boneyard....and who knows if that will be functional (non-damaged) or how long it will last.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/11/4 18:46

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Does this allow you to push the pedal farther down and therefore make the car faster?

Matt do you have your platic one? Can I have it? I have several pedals I use for various things. It's been tricky to get my pedal relationship perfect since I changed the brake pedal.
Posted on: 2012/11/6 21:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Does this allow you to push the pedal farther down and therefore make the car faster?

Lol....no. Pedal travel is identical.

Quote:
Matt do you have your platic one? Can I have it? I have several pedals I use for various things. It's been tricky to get my pedal relationship perfect since I changed the brake pedal.

I still have the plastic piece....it's a second generation version.

If you look at the pic above there is an extra "leg" or stopper on the front of the third gen. Once the pedal arm contacts this, pedal travel is over. I am making an assumption that GM put that there to prevent stretching the throttle cable. Adding a spacer like that might assist you in getting proper pedal travel.

If you want my old plastic bracket it's just sitting in my parts box.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/11/6 22:20

redlite32 Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Guru Newb
Dowagiac Michigan
4 Posts

Nice write up and thanks for the kind words Matt.

Spectator what are you needing to accomplish? It would not be too hard to make a special mount.

Bill S.
Unique Cutting & Metal Works
Posted on: 2012/11/7 22:11

corvetteronw Re: C4 Gas Pedal Bracket Installation (1989)
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Sent him an e-mail. Looks like a great product!
Posted on: 2012/11/8 4:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.