Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
243 user(s) are online (201 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

edelfyette Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Guru Newb
malvern,pa
24 Posts

Finished up the rear of my 86 corvette.I went with the complete Banski Suspension,Thanks for Turning me on to that Guys.Also like to Thank Matthew for walking me though the dana 44 swap!I need to get a rear end alignment,but the Banski Kit is impressive.
Now my front is sloppy and seems to be all over the place.I need a alignment up front also but does anyone have any suggestion on tighten up the front suspension? I got a 26 mm sway bar ,would a bigger one help.
Also looked at camber brace,but havent heard anything good about them.Also looking at the anti flex support bar
Thanks,eric
Posted on: 2012/12/12 16:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have the camber brace and actually liked it.

As for "sloppy", replace the front rubber bushes with poly or delrin. They are the cause of that angst. More bar will just mask the problem.

I am sure I was one preaching about the Banski; I have it and LOVE IT!Totally transformed the car.

Also get a 4 wheel alignment... it just works better that way. And the alignment might help bring the front end back under control a bit.

What wheel/tire combo are you running? I suggest 18x10 all the way around. Good stance, good grip and a lot of tire options.
Posted on: 2012/12/12 16:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

1Fast04Vert Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I had a camber brace and unlike Andy I did not like it. I couldn't tell any difference other that it made working on anything else on the front of the engine very difficult. Then when I went to an electric water pump it had to go.
Posted on: 2012/12/12 17:59
Edited by 1Fast04Vert on 2012/12/12 18:15:17

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

But on the bushings I agree with Andy. Last I heard Corvette Recycling was selling NOS a arms with the factory rubber bushings and ball joints already in for not much more than the seperate parts will cost, you might want to check with them.
Posted on: 2012/12/12 17:59
Edited by 1Fast04Vert on 2012/12/12 18:17:39
Edited by 1Fast04Vert on 2012/12/12 18:18:23

Matatk Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Glad it worked out!

If the front is sloppy you might check out the ball joints and tie rods, see if they are worn out.
Posted on: 2012/12/12 18:00

CentralCoaster Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I thought the camber brace was a dubious mod as well. I sold mine off because it was in the way and the cash in my pocket was more useful.

About the only way I could justify using it is if I bolted up a bracket to measure the actual flex there without it, and had a good explanation for why that flex is too much or having negative effects.

For your front end I can't see any reason to not use delrin, the suspension only pivots on one axis. Poly is fine also, but make sure to shave down the bushings as needed. Out of the box mine were too fat and bound up when tightening, and I couldn't extend the suspension with all my weight on it. (no shock or spring attached).

The only place I would prefer rubber would be the sway bar links. These pivot on two axes and ideally need to be flexible to do that, because the end link design is inferior IMO.

But slop is more likely due to bad front bearings or ball joints. Check those.

There's no harm in using more sway bar if you don't mind giving up some compliance for daily driving in exchange for less body roll. It wouldn't be my first expense though.

It'd be cool to fit an adjustable sway bar on the car. Why don't you go and design or source one that fits and get back to me. ;)
Posted on: 2012/12/12 21:07

edelfyette Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Guru Newb
malvern,pa
24 Posts

I just order my Sway bar bushings,so Ill start there and go over everything that needs replacing.Then get all four wheels align.Im running 17/9 on the front and 17/10 tires on the back.I didnt know I could run 18s all around on a 86.Man,my old lady would kill me if I said anything bout new rims and tires,course I never mention the Banski rear that I bought.I wont to go nitrios next but no way Id hit that switch till I got everything right up front!Car is a little scary when I get over 110!
Posted on: 2012/12/12 22:30

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Be carefull with nitrous. Some insurance companies won't pay if you have an accident and they find you have nitrous, then some states have also made it illegal and can impound the car. Then it is also hard on the engine. Do you take it to the track often?
Posted on: 2012/12/12 23:37

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

WTF? Wow. I believe in CA it's street legal as long as it's shut off.

There are plenty of legitimate and legal uses for nitrous. I'd lawyer up on that one. They might as well deny a claim because your car has race numbers on it or a harness bar.
Posted on: 2012/12/13 1:28

Guru Newb
malvern,pa
24 Posts

As long as the lines arent hooked up,youre ok with nitrious in your car around here.I dont have smog or cats on the car and its legal.I get the excempt sticker because of age of the car and i drive it under 5K miles a year.55,000 original miles on my Baby.
No I havent raced it yet,but thats what ive been working towards.Theres a place called Cecil County Drag close by ,you can on Friday nights and see what you got in a 1/4 mile.
Posted on: 2012/12/13 10:23

Guru Newb
malvern,pa
24 Posts

It nothing serious,as far as the racing is concerned for me.The car is become my hobby.I use to be into Bad things and in the Streets and the car has taken its place.I now go to the garage and work on my car ,everything from polishing the Engine and Front Suspension to this latest project.

Attach file:

jpg  004.JPG (735.45 KB)
10045_50c9b18d050d9.jpg 3072X2304 px
Posted on: 2012/12/13 10:44

bogus Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:
Be carefull with nitrous. Some insurance companies won't pay if you have an accident and they find you have nitrous, then some states have also made it illegal and can impound the car. Then it is also hard on the engine. Do you take it to the track often?

Oklahoma made a big stink with this about 10 years ago. It was really focused at the import scene at the time. There were tons of street racing laws created to combat the perceived threat to society from a bunch of Civics drag racing on the highway. Something their Dad's did 30 years earlier in Chevelle's. Which didn't result in 100k new laws created.

At the same time SEMA lit some heat under those same proposed laws that got them redacted a bit... so they are as evil as initially thought. I will have to dig through SEMA archives to get the details.

Much of those impound and crush laws came about as a result of the import scene, and I still think much of it was a combo of a massive generation gap and a bit of anti-import attitudes.
Posted on: 2012/12/13 15:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Eric, that is a good looking vette!!!
Posted on: 2012/12/13 15:19

BillH Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

edelfyette wrote:
Theres a place called Cecil County Drag close by ,you can on Friday nights and see what you got in a 1/4 mile.

Will (recklessdriver) goes there a lot and he's going to run for points there this coming year.

http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/modu ... id=211967#forumpost211967

I've been there many times...........in my youth.
Posted on: 2012/12/13 15:44

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

For the record, I support crushing imports/ricers. In fact, I only buy tuna sold in recycled cans.
Posted on: 2012/12/14 20:17

Eagle223usa Re: Dana 44 and Banski Suspension done
Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
For the record, I support crushing imports/ricers. In fact, I only buy tuna sold in recycled cans.

I totally agree, and send the owners to re education camps in Siberia...
Posted on: 2012/12/15 15:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.