Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
275 user(s) are online (221 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Driver Information Center
Also known as the DIC.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It's above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CorvetteBob I need some interior advice
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

I'm working on my 86. Among some other things, I'm trying to remove the carpets to give them a thorough cleaning. Any advice out there? Also, this car has the manual heater controls and the cable to the heat level( bottom slide) is very stiff. I'm gonna go in and do what's necessary to free it up to operate correctly. Currently, the dead rodent count is 6, and I hope that where it stays. So while I'm in there I need to give the under dash areas a good cleaning. I'm trying to get the breadbox off so I can get in to clean and repair, but I can't seem figure out how to get inside without busting parts, and that's NOT what I wanna do. I need help. Any assistance will be tremendously appreciated. When I start driving this thing, think I'm gonna get "RAT VETT" on the plates.
Posted on: 2014/3/31 2:51

pianoguy Re: I need some interior advice
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yikes, dead rodents! Hopefully Matt can offer some good advice, as he just did the breadbox delete.
Posted on: 2014/3/31 3:01

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: I need some interior advice
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Once the carpets are out, rent a Rug Doctor machine... works great. Let them dry in the sun.
Posted on: 2014/3/31 5:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: I need some interior advice
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

CorvetteBob wrote:
I'm working on my 86. Among some other things, I'm trying to remove the carpets to give them a thorough cleaning. Any advice out there? Also, this car has the manual heater controls and the cable to the heat level( bottom slide) is very stiff. I'm gonna go in and do what's necessary to free it up to operate correctly. Currently, the dead rodent count is 6, and I hope that where it stays. So while I'm in there I need to give the under dash areas a good cleaning. I'm trying to get the breadbox off so I can get in to clean and repair, but I can't seem figure out how to get inside without busting parts, and that's NOT what I wanna do. I need help. Any assistance will be tremendously appreciated. When I start driving this thing, think I'm gonna get "RAT VETT" on the plates.

#1 - which carpets are you trying to remove? The ones on the door panel are glued on. The other carpets are in multiple sections, both front and rear. Along the door sills those are formed pieces with the carpet glued over them. I believe the hush panel is glued on. Here is an example of the sections:

Resized Image

#2 - manual heater controls may be stiff due to the heater control valve under the hood. It controls water flow to the heater core for 84-87(?). See if it moves freely, that could be the problem. If not you can eliminate it or rebuild it with parts from a different GM model.

#3 As far as removing the breadbox, what is the purpose? if just to clean, you are better off removing the dash pad. It's about 7 screws to get it off and not that difficult. Way easier than taking off the breadbox. I posted some pictures in chat a few weeks ago if you search.
Posted on: 2014/3/31 11:32

BillH Re: I need some interior advice
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't remove the carpet.

When you look at the Rug Doctor, see if it has am upholstery tool for the hose end. Those are usually 5-6 inches wide vs the carpet head which is 12 inches.

With that head, you can do the carpets in the car.

Pre-clean with the spray spot remover (color test first),the stuff at Walmart works well. Leave it on the carpet and use the machine to remove.

Check the Rug D liquid (I haven't looked at it in years), you may want to switch to one that treats allergens (also at W-mart in the rug sweeper section).

The vacuum is powerful enough to pull almost all the moisture out of the carpet then, air dry.

I dc the carpets in the C4 and pickup this way once a year (I have my own machine).
Posted on: 2014/3/31 13:33

CorvetteBob Re: I need some interior advice
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Besides cleaning, I've been thinking of changing the carpet color to black to match the seat I got recently. They're not perfect, but they're better'n the oem's.
Posted on: 2014/4/1 16:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't remove the carpet.

When you look at the Rug Doctor, see if it has am upholstery tool for the hose end. Those are usually 5-6 inches wide vs the carpet head which is 12 inches.

With that head, you can do the carpets in the car.

Pre-clean with the spray spot remover (color test first),the stuff at Walmart works well. Leave it on the carpet and use the machine to remove.

Check the Rug D liquid (I haven't looked at it in years), you may want to switch to one that treats allergens (also at W-mart in the rug sweeper section).

The vacuum is powerful enough to pull almost all the moisture out of the carpet then, air dry.

I dc the carpets in the C4 and pickup this way once a year (I have my own machine).

I agree to a point.

Removing the carpets when in this condition is the best bet to really deep clean them with the beater bar.

Do that once, then use the wand for regular maintenance.

The beater is great for getting that DEEP down stuff... and if the carpet comes apart? Well, it was time to replace, sad to say.
Posted on: 2014/4/1 16:57

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

I think I'd still like to remove the carpets for the cleaning, but taking out the dash pad seems a good idea as well so I can get into the upper dash eras and r&r individual parts for cleaning as well. I'd like to know where the screws to the dash pad are and how to access them, if it's not too much trouble. I gave mine a quick look tonight, but I don't see any means of getting the pad off. Is it all done from underneath?
Posted on: 2014/4/2 0:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, all that crap is from behind.
Posted on: 2014/4/2 0:51

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Bob, the FSM has a good diagram with the screw locations but they are obvious once you see them. You have to remove the plastic bezels over the digital dash and the center console/DIC.
Posted on: 2014/4/2 2:01

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Posted on: 2014/4/2 2:10

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the link Matt. And thanks for everyone's help. I'm gonna try to get the pad off by this w'kend so's I can get this slug a-runnin'.
Posted on: 2014/4/2 16:22

joeld Re: I need some interior advice
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I assume the seats will be out before removing the bread box? If not, stop and remove unless you have the back of a 12 year old!
One tip for the bread box, use a good strong flashlight to shine up into the rear area. Those nuts are very hard to locate with just a regular work light.

Joel
Posted on: 2014/4/3 0:43

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

If you're going as far as removing the breadbox, consider a delete kit or homemade delete panel.
Posted on: 2014/4/3 3:17

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
I assume the seats will be out before removing the bread box? If not, stop and remove unless you have the back of a 12 year old!
One tip for the bread box, use a good strong flashlight to shine up into the rear area. Those nuts are very hard to locate with just a regular work light.

Joel

Yes, the seats are out, thanks for the tip.
Posted on: 2014/4/3 16:38

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
If you're going as far as removing the breadbox, consider a delete kit or homemade delete panel.

I just may do that. I'll see how things are when I get it all apart.
Posted on: 2014/4/3 16:39

Schrade Re: I need some interior advice
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Throw all the carpet sections in the back of your truck, and take them to the car wash.

I used to do carpet as an independent for 3 different operations while in college. Did my car interior once, including the removable mat sections. A day or 2 later, to the car wash, and got a mud smudge on the mat. Pulled it, and hit it with the sprayer. Got the smudge off.

You wouldn't believe how much stuff I knocked out from between the pile - OF THE CLEAN MAT. You'd have thought it was LOOP pile, and not cut pile, to hold what came out...

And you can EASILY have 7 - 10 lbs of sand + dirt in C4 carpet.
Posted on: 2014/4/4 13:43

Resized Image

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
Throw all the carpet sections in the back of your truck, and take them to the car wash.

I used to do carpet as an independent for 3 different operations while in college. Did my car interior once, including the removable mat sections. A day or 2 later, to the car wash, and got a mud smudge on the mat. Pulled it, and hit it with the sprayer. Got the smudge off.

You wouldn't believe how much stuff I knocked out from between the pile - OF THE CLEAN MAT. You'd have thought it was LOOP pile, and not cut pile, to hold what came out...

And you can EASILY have 7 - 10 lbs of sand + dirt in C4 carpet.

Going to the car wash is exactly what I was gonna do. Hopefully it'll withstand the process without coming apart.
Posted on: 2014/4/4 16:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.