Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
325 user(s) are online (282 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Interior Lights
There is one in each door. On the 1984-1989 C4s, the door lights can be turned on and off by pressing them.

There are lights under each knee bols...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DrDyno Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Hi All,

I have decided to upgrade the cooling system in my '96 and will go with the DeWitt's double row radiator and SPAL fans. The fans require relocating the A/C evaporator can. My question:

Where is the best place to relocate the evaporator can?

If you've done it, I'd appreciate some pics, if possible.

Many thanks!
Posted on: 2015/1/10 6:38

"If it seems like you're in control... you're not going fast enough!" Mario Andretti
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Are you referring to the accumulator/drier?

Resized Image
Posted on: 2015/1/10 13:54

DrDyno Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Resized Image

Yup! I always called them "Receiver/Dryers." DeWitt's website calls them "Evaporators."
Posted on: 2015/1/10 21:28

"If it seems like you're in control... you're not going fast enough!" Mario Andretti

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Why not just run the upgraded radiator, it will be more than sufficient. I would not want to worry about moving the accumulator/drier and custom a/c lines.
Posted on: 2015/1/10 22:16

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Why not just run the upgraded radiator, it will be more than sufficient. I would not want to worry about moving the accumulator/drier and custom a/c lines.

Two reasons, actually. The first is I'm REALLY tired of watching my digital temp climb here in Florida and am willing to spring for the upgraded fans.

Secondly, I may want to supercharge it, someday, and I'll have no choice then but to move the can.
Posted on: 2015/1/10 22:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

DrDyno wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Two reasons, actually. The first is I'm REALLY tired of watching my digital temp climb here in Florida and am willing to spring for the upgraded fans.

Secondly, I may want to supercharge it, someday, and I'll have no choice then but to move the can.

1) In your previous post about mods you said with a flushed system your car rarely sees 205*.

There are much more highly modified cars than yours that do not require spal fans and an upgraded radiator. I'm sure the radiator is overkill for your application, but still a quality piece.

2) If you supercharge it, address the fans and a/c adaptation at that time.
Posted on: 2015/1/10 22:33

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
1) In your previous post about mods you said with a flushed system your car rarely sees 205*.

There are much more highly modified cars than yours that do not require spal fans and an upgraded radiator. I'm sure the radiator is overkill for your application, but still a quality piece.

2) If you supercharge it, address the fans and a/c adaptation at that time.

Matatk, thanks for your input and... nice of you to remember my previous post! Since water is half-again as good at removing heat as anti-freeze, I went with a mix of approximately 80% softened water and only 20% Dex-Cool. With the addition of two pints of "No-Rosion Super Kuhl" to handle corrosion from the H20, my temps were lowered an average of 5-7°.

Well, as it turned cooler here in central Florida, I added a gallon of Dex-Cool just to be safe. So, now I'm protected down to +5° but my engine temps are back up about 4° and 205° is a normal occurrence. Being "old school," my mind has a hard time with anything over 199°! I know the LT1's were designed to run warmer than my old SBC's but, my mind still has a hard time with it and I constantly run my A/C to keep my fans on. (I'll have the fan temps lowered when I finally get a digital tune.)

And THAT's why I've decided to finally upgrade my cooling system. You may be completely accurate in that the SPAL fans are overkill but, I'd hate to find out the difference without them is only marginal and have to do a bunch of the same work over again. It's got to be easier to do the radiator and fans at the same time.

All that aside, suppose I simply want to supercharge my LT1 now. No doubt I'd have to move the receiver/dryer. So, given that I have a local A/C tech I trust, the question remains... where's the best place to mount it?

Many thanks!
Posted on: 2015/1/11 5:42

TommyT-Bone Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Guess it depends how you plan to mount your supercharger.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1522.JPG (81.54 KB)
852_54b27d691ed70.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_1523.JPG (78.19 KB)
852_54b27d7a89c69.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2015/1/11 13:41

BillH Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DrDyno wrote:

Well, as it turned cooler here in central Florida, I added a gallon of Dex-Cool just to be safe. So, now I'm protected down to +5° but my engine temps are back up about 4° and 205° is a normal occurrence. Being "old school," my mind has a hard time with anything over 199°! I know the LT1's were designed to run warmer than my old SBC's but, my mind still has a hard time with it and I constantly run my A/C to keep my fans on. (I'll have the fan temps lowered when I finally get a digital tune.)

John, I build SBC's and I had the same thoughts when I first got my 92. So much so that I put in a manual switch to turn on one fan and used it.

After a while I realized that 205 is nothing on a LT1, your normal temp when highway cruising @ 70 and it's 100 degrees out should be 196 and will go up to 205 pulling a long hill.

Depending on the year, the engineers designed the fans to turn on at 228 for the primary and 235 for the secondary.

I don't even think about using my manual switch until I see 220 in traffic. I run this car on the race track and don't run the fans until I see 220 also.

My engine has 100k on it and it's spotless inside (oil pan, etc.

I still can't get the higher temps in my head but I don't worry about it anymore.

If it bothers you, you can put in a switch for $4 and run the fans. In traffic, it will take a few minutes for the temps to start dropping.

At 205, your current cooling system is functioning the way it's supposed to.

Spal fans won't help this at all at this point. A larger radiator MAY drop temps but only to 195 (that's what your thermostat opens at). Going to a lower temp than that may do nothing but build up crud in your engine.

Putting in a higher capacity radiator when suoercharging - well, that's a different story.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 15:59

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Guess it depends how you plan to mount your supercharger.

NICE!

Most (maybe, all) LT1 superchargers I've seen are mounted on the right side. Probably because the alternator and A/C compressor are already on the left side.
Posted on: 2015/1/11 19:19

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

John, I build SBC's and I had the same thoughts when I first got my 92. So much so that I put in a manual switch to turn on one fan and used it.

...If it bothers you, you can put in a switch for $4 and run the fans. In traffic, it will take a few minutes for the temps to start dropping.

Based upon the work of PCOLT94 (an electrical engineer) on corvetteforum, I installed a manual fan switch on my '96. It worked fine but threw a DTC and illuminated the Check Engine light. I was more uncomfortable with the illuminated light than the engine temp and removed the switch.

Quote:

Spal fans won't help this at all at this point. A larger radiator MAY drop temps but only to 195 (that's what your thermostat opens at). Going to a lower temp than that may do nothing but build up crud in your engine.

I don't understand why you would say increased air flow through the radiator [at low speeds or idling in traffic] would have no effect on engine temp. Isn't increased airflow the very reason the fans cycle off above 40 MPH?

Relative to "building up crud in the engine," do you mean within the cooling system or the fuel intake system? If I run an 80 - 100% water mixture with the No-Rosion products, there's very little to cause crud in the cooling system. Intake system crud should be handled with proper A/F mixtures, No?

I'M STARTING TO SENSE A PATTERN HERE. I don't think you guys are sold on the idea of my upgrading my cooling system and... certainly not upgrading my fans. And, in some sense I can see your respective points. With only 56K miles on my car and everything working flawlessly, I think you guys see ME as the problem, not my engine temps. You're probably right! But... please understand when driving around town, my eyeballs are glued to my digital temp gauge!!
Posted on: 2015/1/11 19:43

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DrDyno wrote:

Based upon the work of PCOLT94 (an electrical engineer) on corvetteforum, I installed a manual fan switch on my '96. It worked fine but threw a DTC and illuminated the Check Engine light. I was more uncomfortable with the illuminated light than the engine temp and removed the switch.

Interesting, on 92-93 (and probably 94-95) and the switch is throw a code for Quad Driver 3 which only monitor voltages in that circuit, it does not throw a check engine, so you don't see anything and the code means nothing. I haven't played with the newer ECM/PCM on the 96's though.

I don't understand why you would say increased air flow through the radiator [at low speeds or idling in traffic] would have no effect on engine temp. Isn't increased airflow the very reason the fans cycle off above 40 MPH?

I just don't think the extra airflow will do very much and it's not worth the $$$ to change, just my opinion.

Relative to "building up crud in the engine," do you mean within the cooling system or the fuel intake system? If I run an 80 - 100% water mixture with the No-Rosion products, there's very little to cause crud in the cooling system. Intake system crud should be handled with proper A/F mixtures, No?

The higher temps burn off the contaminates in the oil better.

With only 56K miles on my car and everything working flawlessly, I think you guys see ME as the problem, not my engine temps. You're probably right!

No not at all, wanting to keep your car at it's very best is laudable. And these are just comments (though some come from experience). BTW, I also have an engineering degree, in automotive.

Give you another example, the 5.3 Vortec in my Silverado runs at 215 and has run that temp for 150k miles, aside form a couple EGR check vales, the engine has never been touched. I pulled a valve cover last summer - spotless under that cover, nothing built up.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 20:47

bogus Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Another aspect of the temps... the insides of modern engines are a mishmash of alloys... iron, aluminum, copper, you name it.

Each metal heats and cools at different rates, and the temps established are perfectly safe because they are optimized to work with the different metals and keep emissions happy.

This is not a 1966 something with 12:1 compression, points and an appetite for 101 octane gas... this is a modern engine, with computer controls, and 10.5:1 compression with a much lower appetite for 93 octane.

In short, this is not a problem... this is normal.

Now, as for the radiator... I am a huge fan of the DeWitt unit... but keep the factory fans. They are super durable and easy to get parts for if one was to fail. If the DeWitt fan fails, you are boned until you can get the right Spall replacement part.

Which leads to thought number 2... Dave McClellen, former Corvette Chief Engineer, told me that his #1 mantra to Mosler (the guy in FL that builds a mid-engined thing with Corvette power), is to use as much OEM parts as you can. They are severely tested over long periods of time to maintain durability standards... most aftermarket places don't...

So those OEM fans you have are good for 100k or more miles. What durability tests do the Spall fans go through?

As for Dewitt rads? They are used in Corvette Racing, and, well, they are not a moving part. Good materials, good welding, should be a-ok. And in this case, to the best of my knowledge, not a single DeWitt rad has ever failed Corvette Racing, including the 24 hours of Daytona, the 12 hours of Sebring or the 24 Hours of LeMans.

Oh, and I have a Dewitt in my 92. I just got tired of buying cheap rads that died in 30k miles...
Posted on: 2015/1/12 7:49

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

DrDyno wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Resized Image

Yup! I always called them "Receiver/Dryers." DeWitt's website calls them "Evaporators."

yea... And I have never heard them used in that term...

The evaporator is the heat exchanger in the dash, the heat exchanger in front of the rad is the condenser... seriously confusing. Makes me wonder who edited their text...
Posted on: 2015/1/12 7:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Now, as for the radiator... I am a huge fan of the DeWitt unit...

+1 for Dewitt, I'll probably put one in the 67, sticker shock though at $585.
Posted on: 2015/1/12 15:07

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Another aspect of the temps... the insides of modern engines are a mishmash of alloys... iron, aluminum, copper, you name it.

Each metal heats and cools at different rates, and the temps established are perfectly safe because they are optimized to work with the different metals and keep emissions happy.

This is not a 1966 something with 12:1 compression, points and an appetite for 101 octane gas... this is a modern engine, with computer controls, and 10.5:1 compression with a much lower appetite for 93 octane.

In short, this is not a problem... this is normal.

Now, as for the radiator... I am a huge fan of the DeWitt unit... but keep the factory fans. They are super durable and easy to get parts for if one was to fail. If the DeWitt fan fails, you are boned until you can get the right Spall replacement part.

Which leads to thought number 2... Dave McClellen, former Corvette Chief Engineer, told me that his #1 mantra to Mosler (the guy in FL that builds a mid-engined thing with Corvette power), is to use as much OEM parts as you can. They are severely tested over long periods of time to maintain durability standards... most aftermarket places don't...

So those OEM fans you have are good for 100k or more miles. What durability tests do the Spall fans go through?

As for Dewitt rads? They are used in Corvette Racing, and, well, they are not a moving part. Good materials, good welding, should be a-ok. And in this case, to the best of my knowledge, not a single DeWitt rad has ever failed Corvette Racing, including the 24 hours of Daytona, the 12 hours of Sebring or the 24 Hours of LeMans.

Oh, and I have a Dewitt in my 92. I just got tired of buying cheap rads that died in 30k miles...

Thanks, Bogus, and... Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am going to go for the radiator, only, and stay with the factory fans. If the temps stabilize to the point where I can take my eyes off the gauge, I'll be happy.

OH, AND... I sent an email to Dewitt's asking when they're going to run their annual 15% Off Sale. I just received a reply that it should get posted on CorvetteForums today or tomorrow. I'll report back when I see it!
Posted on: 2015/1/12 16:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The Dewitt is a good piece. You will not be disappointed.

If I ever get stupid rich, I am going to buy one, and hang it on the wall as an objet d'art, They are that nice.
Posted on: 2015/1/12 18:28

joeld Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

DeWitt sale is on!
Ends Jan 26th
Promo code Jan 26th

I'm needing one also.

Joel
Posted on: 2015/1/13 0:59

tjpreul Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I relocated mine to the front of the frame by the opti. This is where Procharger has you relocate it. It sits low so the hose in and out rest on the frame.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC04595.JPG (403.39 KB)
1727_54b495a6300e6.jpg 960X720 px
Posted on: 2015/1/13 3:49

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
DeWitt sale is on!
Ends Jan 26th
Promo code Jan 26th

I'm needing one also.

Joel

How'd you find out, Joel? I haven't seen it yet and I've been loking!
Posted on: 2015/1/13 3:52

joeld Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I've been checking for the last several weeks also, noticed tonight on that "other" forum they had the announcement.

Wasn't trying to bust into your thread, just wanted to let you know before I forgot.

Joel
Posted on: 2015/1/13 4:34

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
I've been checking for the last several weeks also, noticed tonight on that "other" forum they had the announcement.

Wasn't trying to bust into your thread, just wanted to let you know before I forgot.

Joel

Thanks, Joel!

Found their Ad...

Once a year and only once a year do we have a forum sale. This is it.

1. You must order from our website, no phone orders.
2. You must use promo code Jan2015
3. Discount of 15% off anything in your shopping cart.
4. Sale ends January 26th, 2015
5. Allow 2-3 weeks after placing order before expediting

Any odd stuff, not on our website can be emailed to john@dewitts.com
Posted on: 2015/1/13 5:30

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I relocated mine to the front of the frame by the opti. This is where Procharger has you relocate it. It sits low so the hose in and out rest on the frame.

Thanks, tipreul!
Posted on: 2015/1/13 5:31

TommyT-Bone Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:

Snug as a bug in a rug. Now I know what that saying means .......
Posted on: 2015/1/13 14:34

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

DrDyno wrote:

Thanks, Joel!

Found their Ad...

Once a year and only once a year do we have a forum sale. This is it.

1. You must order from our website, no phone orders.
2. You must use promo code Jan2015
3. Discount of 15% off anything in your shopping cart.
4. Sale ends January 26th, 2015
5. Allow 2-3 weeks after placing order before expediting

Any odd stuff, not on our website can be emailed to john@dewitts.com

Ordered mine today! I ordered the two-row, 1139090A. I probably won't put it in until mid to late March. I'll report back!
Posted on: 2015/1/15 5:29

CentralCoaster Re: Relocating the A/C Evaporator Can
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

A 15 cent resistor from RadioShack will fix that gauge reading.

I wouldn't have even done the Dewitt but I had no choice, I was hitting the high temp warning lights which takes a lot of effort. If the GM engineer is getting worried, then so am I.
Posted on: 2015/3/9 8:18

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Did you guys have any issues with the Dewitt rubber pads? Mine is not completely isolated from the shroud, parts still come in contact. The radiator could've probably a 1/4" in height.
Posted on: 2015/3/9 8:21

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Did you guys have any issues with the Dewitt rubber pads? Mine is not completely isolated from the shroud, parts still come in contact. The radiator could've probably a 1/4" in height.

I took a look at the FSM, then a close look at the shroud and... decided to have mine installed by our local Corvette Guru, Vern Carmack of Vern's Chevy Service. He didn't have any complaints and everything looks and feels OK.

Allow me to offer that, although the engine temp comes down a little faster when under way, overall, I've seen very little benefit. I was hoping for more, especially in traffic. Vern said he can add a manual fan switch with a relay to prevent DTC's from showing up and, for $40.00, I'm going to have him do it. I'm tired of using the A/C to trip on the fans.
Posted on: 2015/3/9 16:20

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I wired up a manual fan override switch on mine. It is a 2 pole switch that grounds out both fan relays. When the switch is off, they operate normally. A 2 pole switch is necessary to keep the electrical circuits separate.

I mostly use it after a run session, when the car is insanely hot, leave it idling and force both fans on to cool it down faster. The last thing you want to do in that situation is shut the car off right away, because the coolant still in the engine may sit there and absorb more heat until it boils. The fan will stay on but would only cool what's in the radiator.

Why would you need a separate relay? It would surprise me if there was feedback to the ECM to tell it the fan is running when it shouldn't be. I honestly don't know how the fans are controlled on yours though.

As for your radiator, it's probably cooling better, but your thermostat is just closing more to compensate. You're operating at the bottom end of the operating range, and the only way it's going to be less than that, is with a lower temp stat. I'm assuming you have the 180 now. The stat and the sensor are pretty far part in the chain of events that is your cooling system.
Posted on: 2015/3/9 20:31

Guru Newb
St. Petersburg, FL
45 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I wired up a manual fan override switch on mine. It is a 2 pole switch that grounds out both fan relays. When the switch is off, they operate normally. A 2 pole switch is necessary to keep the electrical circuits separate.

I mostly use it after a run session, when the car is insanely hot, leave it idling and force both fans on to cool it down faster. The last thing you want to do in that situation is shut the car off right away, because the coolant still in the engine may sit there and absorb more heat until it boils. The fan will stay on but would only cool what's in the radiator.

Why would you need a separate relay? It would surprise me if there was feedback to the ECM to tell it the fan is running when it shouldn't be. I honestly don't know how the fans are controlled on yours though.

As for your radiator, it's probably cooling better, but your thermostat is just closing more to compensate. You're operating at the bottom end of the operating range, and the only way it's going to be less than that, is with a lower temp stat. I'm assuming you have the 180 now. The stat and the sensor are pretty far part in the chain of events that is your cooling system.

I, too, tried hardwiring my fans. I followed a schematic an electrical engineer on another forum posted. (If I can find it, I'll post it.) The fans worked as advertised but, the moment the switch was thrown, it popped on the "Check Engine" light. I don't remember the code number but it indicated a fan fault.

Checking back with the EE, he shared that his LT1 was of '95 vintage and, although it threw a code (other than "Check Engine"), he was OK with it. I'm not OK with a "Check Engine" light because I wouldn't know if something else went wrong. Vern, my local Vette Doc, says he can use a double throw relay to bypass the fault trigger.

Your suggestion of a 160° thermostat is well taken. I tested several 180° stats before installing one. Interestingly, they take 12-15° before they're fully open and don't close until 180°. I've always thought the main function of a thermostat was to keep the engine at a minimum operating temp. Perhaps I need to rethink its purpose as controlling engine temps between it's closed setting and fully opened setting. Even so, if I reach 210° in traffic, I don't see how a lower thermostat will be of any value. (Yes, I know 210° is a fully acceptable temp for these engines but... it's still about 10° too high for my psyche!)
Posted on: 2015/3/9 23:43

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It does control minimum temp.plus as you said it operates over a fairly large range. Plus whatever heat gains occur between it and the sensor. And I don't recommend changing it. But I think you are running against the stat more than you think, so a lower stat would change it.
Posted on: 2015/3/10 13:34

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The L98 on the other hand, has the thermostat after coolant has absorbed heat, on on its way to the radiator. Sensor is located there also. And it's 195. And it will run about 200-210 on the low end. Different tstat location, same result.

And I run a high flow 195F btw.

Your other cars probably all run at 200+ but all you have is a dummy needle.
Posted on: 2015/3/10 13:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.